It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey threatens to buy Su-57 amid S400 and F-35 kerfuffle

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Turkey manufacturers the landing gear for the F-35.. in total there are 800 pieces of the jet manufactured in Turkey.. The defense contractor is already scrambling to find other sources for the parts which may delay the production line for the F-35.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
If or rather when Canada bites the F-35 bullet, I can see that landing gear manufacturing work going to them. Given they already have that manufacturing capability and a proven track record. If this deal with Turkey goes further south I can can see quite a bit of the component manufacture currently produced there going back to the US or most likely close allies like the UK, Aus, Japan, Canada etc.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: thebozeian
a reply to: 727Sky
If or rather when Canada bites the F-35 bullet, I can see that landing gear manufacturing work going to them. Given they already have that manufacturing capability and a proven track record. If this deal with Turkey goes further south I can can see quite a bit of the component manufacture currently produced there going back to the US or most likely close allies like the UK, Aus, Japan, Canada etc.

727Skys reasoning is flawed, in that he probably believes the "outsourcing" of component parts is done out of necessity, when, in fact, it is done in a effort to unify the NATO allies, by including them in a common purpose.

Costs aside, there is litterally nothing that any other country can produce, that the US couldn't, when required.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

I didn't see any reasoning other than it would probably delay the line, and depending on how/when they cut them off, that may be true.
I don't think Turkey is going to voluntarily stop making components under contract. Even if we withhold F-35 deliveries. Their whole angle is strengthening their indigenous defense industry. Why would they stop doing work which gives their companies that workshare, experience, cashflow? They'll keep doing business and keep their options open. No reason to burn a bridge over delivery delays.
LM just has to divy out that workshare to other partners for the next contract(s), and let Turkey fill their current contract. If they cannot line that up in time, Turkey keeps its workshare for another batch/contract.

I'm not sure Canada's own existing workshare is safe if they don't pull their heads out their asses. Same process would apply. Lots of partner countries including the US that would be happy to increase their workshare. No reason to reward them when they aren't buying airframes.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Good for shooting down Helicopters

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join