It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion shouldn't exist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Yep, religion.....always religion. When people actually understand that atheists don't believe in any gods but people of any faith believe that their god is the only one (out of thousands) then they'll realise that atheists only believe in one less.........and there's just as much proof of Santa Clause........why do people continue to make legislature according to religion?

I do not understand why so many countries are bound by religious laws. In this computer age, actual laws in countries are dictated by things that cannot be proven - why?

I could say to someone that I can fly.........they would say "show me"....I would then say "you've got to have faith"

All the gods in religions around the world mean different things to different people, so why is any ONE of them better than the other?

Isn't it more likely that none of them exist? Isn't it more likely that the whole religious thing was created by ruling people to create the ruled. If there
was no religion then the poor would have killed the rich (thanks, Napoleon).

It's a thing that has successfully been handed down generation to generation but surely we should now realise this?

Apparently not

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well duh...
But your rant doesn’t take indoctrination into account.
They brainwash them when they’re kids.

If you’re willing to kill (or die) for a skyfairy? Well only deep rooted indoctrination will get you there.

It takes years to undo.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JonU2
That's a very naive idea of religion. ALL religions were started with two prime goals 1. to control the people and 2. to give that power to the controllers.
It comes as no surprise that when religions started the mass of people couldn't read or write. In fact most religions made it a big no no to learn to read and in doing so the religious leaders controlled what the people knew or were told. That's control.
The BS that they fed them allowed the leaders to live the high life without working for it. ie. "do this otherwise you'll burn in hell".
It's only in modern times the mass of people can read and look at the religious books and see they have been used. Though there is still some religions that severely control their followers (I say "keep em ignorant, control them") thatenlightened people can see the mass delusion of their followers.
Though simplified there are a lot more subtle reasons involved.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

So that's a yes then?

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

It seems to me religion is hardwired into our being , it's man who decides the direction that need for belief takes which is where things seem to break down , I don't think we can be separated from the need to believe as it must serve a purpose in our psychi.

edit on 11-4-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   

The main problem today is now I get preached at by Atheists and the religious. I beg for the day it was only the religious and not 20 fadora hat wearing edge lords ranting when explaining its possible God exists.

Atheists and the religious are way more alike then they realize.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

It does take everything into account but I didn't have time to write a complete history. My main point is that, indoctrination aside, I went through the generational expectation that I would believe this rubbish.

Throughout the world, I cannot understand why so many people cling onto these beliefs.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Not preaching (first post here), don't care what you believe...............

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: JonU2

Wasn't implying your post was preaching but that atheists are just as stubborn and closed minded in their beliefs

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Disagree, in that we all have control over ourselves. We're all individuals ("I'm not"...shhhhh)

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Well, I am not much of a believer in religions, but I do think that this universe and beyond does have a collective consciousness and a part of that collective consciousness on our local level would be the collective consciousness of everything that lives on this planet. So the main CC would be considered the main god I suppose, linked to our local CC which has many names in religions around the world.

So, I believe in god, and maybe some of the offspring of god at the local level of our existences.

The local entity has varying names in religions, and ones who can connect to it are called messiahs or Buddhas. Meditation and a close relative of it, prayer, is often used to connect to this Holy spirit or great spirit, or Gaia or what ever you would desire to call it. Our subconscious can use the link to keep in touch with others we have something in common with greatly increasing collective consciousness of a group. But there are people who want to dictate this link to control people, governments and many religions constantly try to control the people. But of course, linking to the wrong type of person can cause a person to be a menace on society, it is important to link to people who are good people, not to those who want to steal and spew hate in the society.

It is hard to control this link, if you respect someone or agree strongly with them they allow access to their group. so, you are who you hang around with is often true. We can choose to not listen to the wrong kind of link, that is what religions try to do, limit tying to crazy or greedy people. I do not think Athiests have considered this link very well even though they utilize it in their religion.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Well I'm not one of those atheists, I'm more of a realist. My OP was really more questioning as to how people can believe all the religious garbage

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Wasn't implying your post was preaching but that atheists are just as stubborn and closed minded in their beliefs
Which atheist beliefs are you referring to? Because there’s only one thing that makes you an atheist, you do not believe the claims that religious people make. If you want to ascribe other beliefs to atheists, you would be mistaken.
edit on 11-4-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I do not consider myself an Atheist but more of an atheist. I am a realist who does not sprout his opinions very often but felt compelled to tonight after reading a few too many accounts of worldwide blindfolded actions in the name of religion.

I found myself laughing in a bad way because of peoples' non-thinking actions. In the name of a god that their parents(?) had told them existed.

That's all.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Yep, religion.....always religion. When people actually understand that atheists don't believe in any gods but people of any faith believe that their god is the only one (out of thousands) then they'll realise that atheists only believe in one less.........and there's just as much proof of Santa Clause........why do people continue to make legislature according to religion?

Not true at all. You are on a religious forum so what did you expect? Your opinion is no better than other opinions. It's simply another opinion. What you are suggesting is mind control at the very least and in that opinion you restrict freedom of expression to somehow conform to your opinions.

Now you suggest that with no belief in a deity that would eliminate opposing views of life? How very silly to even contemplate such an idea. Are you under the impression that godless minds are the solution for unity of thought and the elimination of discourse in the world? If you are in that perspective then you are insane. That perspective has been nurtured for thousands of years by as many that were totally insane and has been shown to be more convoluted than polytheists or monotheists.

Your disbelief in theism is simply a choice that you have made at this time and it is subject to change as all minds that are rational do change with time or maturity. I don't know your age or who attempted to educate you but from my perspective it appears to me that as you mature your mind will also become more clear. I wish you well --

link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I do not believe any god exists, there is no god of any religion and your parrot has ceased to be, it has shuffled off it's mortal coil, it is an ex-parrot.......and god

link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Well, I am not much of a believer in religions, but I do think that this universe and beyond does have a collective consciousness and a part of that collective consciousness on our local level would be the collective consciousness of everything that lives on this planet. So the main CC would be considered the main god I suppose, linked to our local CC which has many names in religions around the world.

So, I believe in god, and maybe some of the offspring of god at the local level of our existences.

The local entity has varying names in religions, and ones who can connect to it are called messiahs or Buddhas. Meditation and a close relative of it, prayer, is often used to connect to this Holy spirit or great spirit, or Gaia or what ever you would desire to call it. Our subconscious can use the link to keep in touch with others we have something in common with greatly increasing collective consciousness of a group. But there are people who want to dictate this link to control people, governments and many religions constantly try to control the people. But of course, linking to the wrong type of person can cause a person to be a menace on society, it is important to link to people who are good people, not to those who want to steal and spew hate in the society.

It is hard to control this link, if you respect someone or agree strongly with them they allow access to their group. so, you are who you hang around with is often true. We can choose to not listen to the wrong kind of link, that is what religions try to do, limit tying to crazy or greedy people. I do not think Athiests have considered this link very well even though they utilize it in their religion.
Soo.. you knowingly believe in things that have no corroborating evidence a part from your own beliefs?

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Seede

Thanks, no actual debate there then

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

a reply to: Woodcarver

I do not believe any god exists, there is no god of any religion and your parrot has ceased to be, it has shuffled off it's mortal coil, it is an ex-parrot.......and god
Hey bud, read my post again. I am on your side of this argument.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seede

Not true at all. You are on a religious forum so what did you expect? Your opinion is no better than other opinions. It's simply another opinion. What you are suggesting is mind control at the very least and in that opinion you restrict freedom of expression to somehow conform to your opinions.

Now you suggest that with no belief in a deity that would eliminate opposing views of life? How very silly to even contemplate such an idea. Are you under the impression that godless minds are the solution for unity of thought and the elimination of discourse in the world? If you are in that perspective then you are insane. That perspective has been nurtured for thousands of years by as many that were totally insane and has been shown to be more convoluted than polytheists or monotheists.

Your disbelief in theism is simply a choice that you have made at this time and it is subject to change as all minds that are rational do change with time or maturity. I don't know your age or who attempted to educate you but from my perspective it appears to me that as you mature your mind will also become more clear. I wish you well --

Just re-read your point (at work) and have to say that you have assumed a few things:

Yes I'm on a religious forum rather than say a UFO forum?
    What does: 'godless minds are the solution for unity of thought and the elimination of discourse in the world' even mean?
    My disbelief in religion is my choice at this time (after 57 years on this planet) and a generational belief in Christianity that, to me, does not make sense

So, rather than try to talk down to me, answer me a question:
Why is the god that you believe in superior than the thousands of other gods that are revered around the world?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join