It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First time: Photo of black hole!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Black hole picture!

Scientists have obtained the first image of a black hole, using Event Horizon Telescope observations of the center of the galaxy M87.

Link: www.foxnews.com...

No, this is not a ‘yo mama is so fat,...’ joke!

I don’t know how to enbed a photo
Can anyone tell me how?

Bonus Link: news.harvard.edu...

edit on 10-4-2019 by Goedhardt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
So we finally get a glimpse of a black hole and we end up with a still image from the Lord of the Rings.

One ring to rule them all, anyone?

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Absolutely stunning. Yet I find it odd that so many theories, even from the early twentieth century turn out to look exactly as theorized. CG Universe indeed!

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
a reply to: Goedhardt

link to high res image

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: boomerdude
Absolutely stunning. Yet I find it odd that so many theories, even from the early twentieth century turn out to look exactly as theorized. CG Universe indeed!

Actually many of them were wrong. There were many theories, most were wrong. It's really a select few individuals who got it right.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Oh wow, it kind of looks like one of those doughnuts I used to make that have a little tequila Rose in them.

Damn, maybe I should go get something to eat, it is starting to effect my perception.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Amazing!

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This is remarkable.

But I want the raw data.

I want the entire spectrum of light, the entire fields at which they took each photo to composite them, i want the size of the disc, hawking radiation, what is directly behind the black hole from our point of view and can we verify there is a time warp between it and whatever galaxy is behind it. ..

I want to know the instruments that were used, multiple telescopes in this case..

Why is science being dumb down for the masses?

Why aren't we captivated by rocket launches and the possibility of landing on Mars or the Mariana trench?

Science is becoming something bohemian when anti-vaxxers are letting their kids die and pictures of a blackhole is just a 'meh' event and the public gets a #ty image and no salient information.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Well I am sure all of that or some of that data is there, but I don't think they are "dumbing it down" for the people, rather a lot of people wouldn't care too much of the technical aspect that you and others would rather have.

I basically boils down to what's released and if you want to learn more, click this link and research more into.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   

The idea is really cool and all.

But the actual image is very underwhelming.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Why is it, that when people take pictures of black holes, they are always blurry and out of focus?

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
This is remarkable.

But I want the raw data.

I want the entire spectrum of light, the entire fields at which they took each photo to composite them, i want the size of the disc, hawking radiation, what is directly behind the black hole from our point of view and can we verify there is a time warp between it and whatever galaxy is behind it. ..

I want to know the instruments that were used, multiple telescopes in this case..

Why aren't we captivated by rocket launches and the possibility of landing on Mars or the Mariana trench?

Science is becoming something bohemian when anti-vaxxers are letting their kids die and pictures of a blackhole is just a 'meh' event and the public gets a #ty image and no salient information.

Dumbing it down to the level of the average person? I think there is a case for that, as long the raw info is also available

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
This is remarkable.

Not only that, this is old news... about 55 million years. : P

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I found this comment on the Daily Mail site:

So for the non science folk and those who watched Interstellar, this is not an optical photo, so spare the focus comments, also appreciate that this is thousands of light years away and is an image of something that was only a theory till today. Now confirmed, it will support relativity and change the understanding of the universe. Take it for what it is and represents, not just what it looks like.

Hope it helps.

ETA I should add, I have no idea if the comment is true but it sounds like the speaker knows what he's talking about more than I.
edit on 10/4/19 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I thought that you couldn't see a black hole. Doesn't it suck up everything around it, including light? I have always been under the impression that a black hole isn't something that can be seen. Now they're giving us something like a photo?

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Hi
I been scouring the web, but cant find anything beyond a podcast with even horizon director shep doeleman, that was very technical . That was the best information on this event. (Pre image release a yr ago)

Link if anyone wants.
www.pandora.com...:811777?corr=12208117&part=ug

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Plus it's good to note that is a shadow formed by hot radiating particles and not the actual blackhole or its event horizon.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Congratilations to all people involved. What an achievement! It's like watching Interstellar, but seeing the real thing.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Goedhardt
Black hole picture!

Scientists have obtained the first image of a black hole, using Event Horizon Telescope observations of the center of the galaxy M87.

Link: www.foxnews.com...

No, this is not a ‘yo mama is so fat,...’ joke!

I don’t know how to enbed a photo
Can anyone tell me how?

Bonus Link: news.harvard.edu...

While we're all in awe over this first ever picture, here's a little fun fact... The image we're seeing is an image of what M87 looked like 55 million years ago because that's how long it takes light to reach us from that region. That's just crazy, imagine what this black hole looks like now.
edit on 10-4-2019 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join