It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Medical School will not use Race in Admissions

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

My point is the person who could have scored at the top might not even be there because of some cooked up racial composition nonsense.

Ding ding ding, you win the prize!
It's racist, but people don't see it that way if it is in their favor.
Anytime someone is being judged, admitted etc based on their skin color it is racist.

I don't care if it is 100K people or 2 people, it means they probably took the place of someone more qualified.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I tend to support affirmative action because I benefited from it as a black male. As a first generation blue collar family college graduate, I got opportunities and exposure to things that I would have never seen had I not been actively recruited. I also saw too how the system was stacked against folks like me, fair or not.

You are very intelligent and with or without affirmative action I'm sure you would have been successful. You may not believe that, and that is part of the problem with affirmative action.

How the system was stacked against you? The system is pretty much stacked against anyone that isn't rich. It really doesn't matter what color your skin is.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

What do I get? Free admission into Yale without passing the aptitude test?

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: JAGStorm

What do I get? Free admission into Yale without passing the aptitude test?

an adult easter egg

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
As I have pointed out, if someone is "qualified" to attend an elite school, they will get accepted to one in that tier. If you are truly qualified to attend an Ivy, you will gain admission to one or two of them. However, which one is where it get's murky.

The big problem here is that not all Ivies offer good programs in some fields. For example, applying to Harvard doesn't do you much good if your goal is to go into Computer Science. I think this is the big problem with the system of applying to all of them. They are all good schools, but they don't all offer programs that a student may be interested in.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Because the entire school would be Asian.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

So? If they work harder to get into the best schools why shouldn't they get into the best schools?

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I tend to support affirmative action because I benefited from it as a black male.

And if you were an Asian Male and got rejected because of it then you would not think the same. Fair is not what is good for you, fair is what is good for everyone.

Asians would benefit the most from ending this, White people may not even benefit or may be hurt by it, I don't care, fair is fair.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

So? If they work harder to get into the best schools why shouldn't they get into the best schools?

I feel they should. But then many American universities would just be benefitting one group. many not even American.

The other way of letting people not based on merit. Is just putting sub par people into important position's, causing failure at many levels.

There was a time when only the best and brightest were used and you could tell when that was.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth

I feel they should. But then many American universities would just be benefitting one group. many not even American.

The other way of letting people not based on merit. Is just putting sub par people into important position's, causing failure at many levels.

There was a time when only the best and brightest were used and you could tell when that was.

I disagree, they would not be benefiting any group. It would be one group benefiting themselves, maybe then others would take notice and follow suit. Why do better when mediocrity is all you require.

As to the citizen part, you can easily put aside x% of seats for non-citizens and the rest must go to citizens, no race card needed.
edit on 13-4-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Test scores are not indicative of effort or potential.
edit on 13-4-2019 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join