It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Medical School will not use Race in Admissions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

A Texas medical school will no longer consider race in its admissions decisions under an agreement with the U.S. Department of Education, the first of its kind as the Trump administration seeks to roll back affirmative-action practices.

Imagine that.......... students getting in based on merit.
Somebody wake me up, what year are we living in?

When you think about it, why has it taken this long? All schools should do this moving forward.
This is fair and just and might actually turn our country around.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'll be damned...

This is the kind of stuff I envision when I hear "Make America Great Again"...

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   

So let me ask you a question.

Let's say that this happens and they only accept students based on merit. And it just so happens that the only people that get in are chinese.

Would you be ok with that?

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Let's say that this happens and they only accept students based on merit. And it just so happens that the only people that get in are chinese.

If it was based on merit yes.
Now if you're talking about bias by race it's a problem.

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Would you chose a surgeon to operate on you or a loved one based on merit or based on race?

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Why should anyone care if Chinese people are good at medicine? I want my doctor to be the best in their field regardless of race.

I'm white though so I can just apply and magically get in because of my privilege.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

If there was a problem with that then that would defeat the word 'merit'.

Just like with a job, you get hired based on qualifications and not race.

If Chinese students all study hard to get into ivy leagues, others just have to study hard as well, instead of the system lowering its standards

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Absolutely

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

The way I understand the situation, asians are the ones being screwed by some colleges.

www.google.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Yes. I would. Are you saying you are ok with people NOT getting in, who worked harder, and deserved it more, because of the color of their skin?

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I would be. That's how all colleges should be, as well as jobs.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

If there was a problem with that then that would defeat the word 'merit'.

Just like with a job, you get hired based on qualifications and not race.

If Chinese students all study hard to get into ivy leagues, others just have to study hard as well, instead of the system lowering its standards

Exactly. Currently Black people get I think +230 points because they are black, and Asians get -50 points simply because they are Asian.

That means black people can score 280 points LESS and be considered equal. A 1600 and a 1320 are equal ... any black person scoring higher than 1320 is automatically higher than an Asian who scored perfect.

I didn't even study and got over a 1320, the idea Black people are so dumb they can't do better than 1300 is insulting.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Well, that is nice. Using a person's school information to get them accepted. This could be good or bad for minorities. Affirmative action did give some black people an edge over others in schools in the past. Also some schools improperly rejected a student because of their color.

I think that accepting someone because of their abilities is important. Color does not make a difference in doctors, but experience and ability to reason does. I do not even think good bedside manner is really that important, I would rather a doctor just told me straight how to properly fix something, I respect honesty over bedside manners. But the doctor would need to know more specifics that apply to alterations in diet, that is something they do not train doctors in med school and even most nutritionists lump food chemistry into groups and do not consider enzyme blocking problems of foods.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

If you are truly interested in an honest, productive conversation, let's talk about the reasons merit based system tend to leave out certain groups, while others excell.

The biggest difference between success, and failure, academically, it the structure, and focus of the family unit.

Children that are the product of parents who "push" them to excell do better in school than those who come from broken homes, without good role models.

No amount of legislation, or affirmative action will alter that fact.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

You would think blacks would get tired of hearing they're not smart enough to compete.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You would think blacks would get tired of hearing they're not smart enough to compete.

How are they not insulted the whole of America says they are too stupid and inferior to others? How are they not insulted when college professors say Black people are unable to speak or write English properly so it should not be held against them. If someone said that about me I would rip them a new one.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   

So there you are, about to get your coconut opened up for some really precise surgery and the doctor says, 'Hey! You! Guess what? I got into medical school due to a merit point increase and not because I was as qualified as everyone else. Nurse, bone saw.'

edit on 10-4-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer because Heels took it

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Why would anyone have a problem with that? If a certain race feels underrepresented, so be it. College should allow for higher learning and academic merit should be the criteria for entrance.

I believe race is the sole factor that lead to the decline of our public school systems. In order to pass certain students they began a trend of lowering academic standards. This has only resulted in a dumbed-down system failing to challenge the brightest children regardless of their race. This is a large step in right direction.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I think you are making a huge leap to say that the whole of America believes black ppl are mentally inferior. I know I don't believe that.

Maybe you should look into a new group to associate with.

There is no doubt that many blacks are dealt a poor hand in life, but that doesn't mean they can't study hard, and improve their situation.

What we are doing now, is giving ppl built in excuses, as to why they shouldn't be held to the same standards as everyone else.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I think it's important to cut through the BS the propagandist racist left slings at us.

Affirmative Action is not necessary to create diversity. There are alternative, non racist ways to increase diversity. One is using a socio-economic model that gives bonuses to people from lower status, that would be given regardless of race.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join