It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LUSH quits social media suddenly. Is this due to the new UK regulations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

British cosmetics firm Lush is closing several of its UK social media accounts this week. Announcing the news on Twitter, it said it was "tired of fighting with algorithms" and did not want to "pay to appear" in newsfeeds. The firm, which sells fragrant handmade soaps, bath bombs and other body products, asked customers to contact it by email, phone, or via its website. LushUK has 202,000 Twitter followers and 569,000 on Instagram. More than 423,000 have liked the page on Facebook.

BBC NEWS

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly that social media is addictive and causes many issues, I can’t imagine any marketing department in their right mind closing down their accounts.

This seems very convenient given the announcement recently that UK will become the strictest regulator in the world of social media

SOURCE

Something stinks... I don’t believe for one minute the regulation has anything to do with safety but I am curious whether LUSH will be the first of many to close their account.

I don’t know... Maybe it is just a coincidence

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JPtruther

Its difficult to ascertain the actual dollar benefit of social media, our company had all the reps post on all platforms. LOL it almost creates a need for a person to do that full time for each rep, with no appreciable increase in sales. I imagine some show up because of it but not as many are influenced as we are supposed to believe. Plus now everybody does it you get lost in the plethora of posts out there.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

More and more companies are realizing Twitter just opens up your company to alot of harm. And it does little to increase sales for a company. It is unusable for anyone but trolls, robots and dictators.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JPtruther

Something stinks... I don’t believe for one minute the regulation has anything to do with safety but I am curious whether LUSH will be the first of many to close their account.

I take what they said at face value. It's a backlash against social media. Who needs Twitter, really? It's a useless reactionary media that is aptly named: Twitter, used by twits for no good purpose. If Twitter went away tomorrow nobody would care.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I'm a huge LUSH fan and have spent more there than I would like to admit. Having said that, I have never once been on their social media sites. I did go to their website once and ask them a question. They answered right away.
I think they will survive.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Good on 'em!

They are breaking ground here; they're saying they believe they can do business and be competitive without having to rely on remaining a portion of the noise of social media.

Do not be surprised if other bigger names start to follow this example.

I can see that happening.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Lush are just waking up to the fact that social media is not always a blessing.

And no, it has sod all to do with the current proposals (in the form of a White Paper) for an independent aurthority to rein in out-of-control social media that harms, and clamp down on peddlers of child abuse and stuff like that.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I do more than my fair share of online buying.
I never use social media accounts for help in my buying decisions.
If the company website customer service cannot help me, what use is their social media page.

If the company doesn't have a site that is easily navigated, if I cannot easily find how to contact customer service, if I cannot easily see their shipping policies, I won't buy from them....and a social media page isn't going to help.

Good for Lush for getting off the hamster treadmill!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: JPtruther

I take what they said at face value. It's a backlash against social media. Who needs Twitter, really? It's a useless reactionary media that is aptly named: Twitter, used by twits for no good purpose. If Twitter went away tomorrow nobody would care.

Except for journalists, apparently. Has anyone noticed that so many online 'news' articles now are just a paragraph about something happening, and then a huge list of "here's what a bunch of random nobodies incoherently said about it..."

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I bet aside from the info manipulating "leaders" on twitter, the general user base is broke.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
For something that is so addictive, "social media" doesn't seem to have succeeded in addicting me. I have no Twitter, no Facebook, no Instatoot. None of that crap. The closest thing is forums like this. Which are about as "addictive" as anything else (meaning that if you enjoy it, you will obviously enjoy doing it often, which is a dumb way of defining addiction).

I couldn't care less if something is supposed to be "addictive". I notice that people start that crap up whenever people are doing anything other than working themselves to death, buying stuff and paying taxes. Oh! The horror! People are sitting around not lubricating your slave machine!" Whatever.

But "social media"? Like Facebook social media? The problem I do have with that is the privacy issues and so forth. And it's also making people more stupid. Which isn't really needed. People don't need any help in that department.

new topics

top topics

join