It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the biggest mistakes cooking?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Wow, that was... dangerous. In 20 years cooking for a living, I have never, ever seen someone try that way. And using a serrated knife in that way is not the safest or most efficient way. The noise that the knife was making hitting the cutting board is a good sign he was working to hard to chop that onion.

The only real way I have ever had success chopping onions tear free is using a very sharp knife. I've never heard that it is just the root of the onion that causes tears. It's the gas released from cutting it, which is from the damaged cells found throughout the whole vegetable.

Next time I chop onions, I'll try this method but I am skeptical at best that it works.

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: GAOTU789
In 20 years cooking for a living, I have never, ever seen someone try that way.

Probably because it's dangerous and highly inefficient.

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Or meat glue to trick people

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

LOL the only thing of value in that video IS the "lady"...why would you use corn flakes, ketchup or "sausage" pretend meat in any sort of meal.

All I see in that is salt, sugar, more salt, sugar, meat extender, old tomatoes with additives, cheap cuts of meat, preservatives, more sugar etc.

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: GAOTU789

He's just got a huge youtube channel promoting his own sauces etc. & other 3rd party products.

Look how he uses his special "blunt" knife like a hacksaw LOL

I think I've become immune to crying with onions. I think the position of my eyes to the board and my glasses does the trick.
Back in the day one cook used a towel wrapped around his mouth & nose.

Or you could go to the effort of these thricks
greatist.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   

a reply to: InTheLight

Wow, that was... dangerous. In 20 years cooking for a living, I have never, ever seen someone try that way. And using a serrated knife in that way is not the safest or most efficient way. The noise that the knife was making hitting the cutting board is a good sign he was working to hard to chop that onion.

The only real way I have ever had success chopping onions tear free is using a very sharp knife. I've never heard that it is just the root of the onion that causes tears. It's the gas released from cutting it, which is from the damaged cells found throughout the whole vegetable.

Next time I chop onions, I'll try this method but I am skeptical at best that it works.

Well, you obviously have a lot to learn, that being, treating chopping as therapy...slow and easy. Become one with the chopping no matter what knife you have. But, I digress.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

In 20 years cooking for a living, I have never, ever seen someone try that way.

Probably because it's dangerous and highly inefficient.

Closed mindedness in motion.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
Closed mindedness in motion.

Reality in motion, and I'm not the only one who's said so.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Here is a tip for cutting onions without crying.

Nonsense!

Everyone knows this is the correct way...

edit on 19-4-2019 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

10. (I'll leave this one, and any more for you guys).

I am not a master chef, but my suggestion is, when cooking meat, take it to room temperature like 30 minutes before cooking it. That way it stays juicier.
edit on 19-4-2019 by Finspiracy because: i messed up the quoting thing

<< 3  4  5   >>

join