It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First ever picture of Black Hole. Wednesday

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I predict it will be extremely underwhelming.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Im just willing to take that risk.

Id hope they took a picture of me while I get spaghettified lol

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Are you thinking it will be the standard pixelated mumbo jumbo that looks like an ink blot test?

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

I'm sure that (like many things) depends on the interests and personal investment of the person looking at it. To you and I it might be underwhelming, bit it might knock the socks off of a person who is working in the field of astronomy or black holes.

I mean, there are things that I personally find damn interesting relating to the work I do, but it might be so esoteric that others might say "meh."

Personally, I have a layman's interest in astronomy and cosmology, so while the image potentially might not" knock my socks off" like it might an astronomer, I might find it relatively fascinating.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Very very excited! In fact, the supermassive black hole is not "dead" it is the normal structure of every galaxy. Even there are theories a galaxy forms around a black hole. And the black hole is not dead end if it rotates, and everything rotates in the Universe...

Perhaps That is the Portal to other dimensions...

I'd expect the scientists to tell us this time something MORE. Because they know more.

Watch live from the EU Commission pressconference at 15:00 Brussels time (9 am New York) here www.youtube.com...
edit on 9-4-2019 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2019 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Well, they seemed to make it through alive in Disney's "The Black Hole."

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Announcement should be starting soon guys, tune into the live stream: www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: Tempter

I'm sure that (like many things) depends on the interests and personal investment of the person looking at it. To you and I it might be underwhelming, bit it might knock the socks off of a person who is working in the field of astronomy or black holes.

I mean, there are things that I personally find damn interesting relating to the work I do, but it might be so esoteric that others might say "meh."

Personally, I have a layman's interest in astronomy and cosmology, so while the image potentially might not" knock my socks off" like it might an astronomer, I might find it relatively fascinating.

I've star hopped all Messier objects in a single night that were visible, helped NASA build a satellite (that's true), and have been generally amazed by the heavens since I could look up. I own seven different telescopes currently and am a member of my local city astronomy club.

I'm just saying it'll be underwhelming, that's all.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Nobel prizes for all.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Here’s the picture of the light being sucked into the black hole.

This is amazing.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Looks pretty f**king amazing to me.

If you think about what you're seeing -- this isn't a simulation or an artist impression. This is a genuine image of an object that many people still believed was only a theory, not real, hypothetical.

These scientists should be very proud.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: LSU2018

Im just willing to take that risk.

Id hope they took a picture of me while I get spaghettified lol

I think we'd see ourselves spaghettify before we died were transported into a parallel universe.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Did anyone catch when Black Hole Hunters would be airing on the Smithsonian channel? I had people in here talking

I'd like to DVR it.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

This is amazing.

The most amazing thing about the image I think is how clearly the Doppler effect shows up. However I'd say it's still a bit too low resolution to make a conclusion on whether it validates the strangest aspects relativity with respect to black holes. During the questioning which is happening now they mentioned the shadow edge appears a bit blurry due to the limits of the array resolution, and there is also a bit of asymmetry in the shadow which they want to do further research into, and to me it does appear to be a bit egg shaped and not perfectly circular.
edit on 10/4/2019 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

This is amazing.

And that's what it looked like 55 million years ago. Man that's just insane.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Maybe someone who knows a bit about block holes can answer this; there is no sign of a line through the center of the shadow, so I assume the accretion disk isn't being viewed edge-on? I'm guessing it must be tilted on an angle, if we were looking side-on at the disk from a perfect 90 degree angle no part of it would be rotating towards or away from us at different speeds and we wouldn't see such a clear bright spot. Also, if we are looking at it on an angle, should so much of the disk be bright like that? They did mention some parts of the disk appears to be strangely bright, and I can't really work out how an entire half of the disk, would be moving towards us, it almost looks like more than half actually.
edit on 10/4/2019 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Yesterday, the black hole imploded into itself creating an entirely new Universe, the edge of which will reach us in 55 million years.

So, by the time we are able to see the effects of the event, the event will be upon us. Because remember, we're looking at the past here.

It's all so mind bending.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I was just thinking about that. We're getting a 55,000,000 year old image here and it's breaking news. I can only imagine what it looks like in 2019.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Where did 55 million come from? The galaxy is only 100,000 to 120,000 lys across and we live about 2/3s of the way out so at most it's 30-40,000 lys away.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I personally wanted to see the photo of Sgr A* even if it doesn't present as pretty a picture!

Sometimes a jangled mess can tell you a bunch too.

M87 is still pretty cool! Seeing behind the thing is kind of trippy... like it is in 3D! *scratches head*

Uh, um, uh, whatever that means!!

@ChaoticOrder, since the BH is warping space around it, I don't think it matters what angle we see it. Add onto it SMBH are spinning near the speed of light anyway, I am not certain that moving towards us would factor that much more into the image. I am thinking it is like seeing dawn behind a mountain before the sun actually rises.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join