It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First ever picture of Black Hole. Wednesday

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The very first picture of an actual black hole will be released tomorrow at 9 am EST.

The image was taken with the EHT (Event Horizon Telescope) The U.S. National Science Foundation has scheduled
a news conference in Washington to reveal the image.
There will be simultaneous news conferences in Brussels, Santiago, Shanghai, Taipei, and Tokyo.

The researchers targeted 2 Super Massive Black holes - Sagittarius A* which is in the dead center of our galaxy,
and M87 in the Virgo A galaxy.

This is pretty amazing.
I wonder if Christopher Nolan got it correct in the movie Interstellar.

For the full article hit THIS

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

It is a network of radio telescopes. So it won't be directly comparable to the movie.

I also remember reading that the movie depiction is not fully accurate to make it look more pretty.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Here's a very informative video explaining how to understand or what to look for in an image of a black hole:

www.youtube.com...

The view in Interstellar was pretty accurate.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Hmmm event horizon and a black hole.

I've seen this movie before and it wrecked my childhood

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

we have to be conditioned to see something in an informational video?

sounds shady to me.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   
"What exactly is a black hole event horizon (and what happens there)?

"Recent findings suggest that black holes can rotate at speeds greater than 90 percent the speed of light."

If mankind could harness that kind of energy...the human race would be off to the stars.

Source: (with vids)

www.space.com...

"Black Hole Quiz..."

Source:

www.space.com...
edit on 9-4-2019 by Erno86 because: added a few words

edit on 9-4-2019 by Erno86 because: added a sentence

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruGueser

sounds shady to me.

Yes, a guy explaining basic physics and how light interacts around the event horizon is super shady.

I say grab the pitch forks and torches and lets march on those suckers before they take us out.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Simply amazing.

Thank you for that.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

Here's a very informative video explaining how to understand or what to look for in an image of a black hole:

www.youtube.com...

That guys did a fantastic job of simplifying the explanation so that a simpleton like myself could understand what he was describing. Except for the radial schwartzicle, I don’t know what that is.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Erno86
"What exactly is a black hole event horizon (and what happens there)?

"Recent findings suggest that black holes can rotate at speeds greater than 90 percent the speed of light."

If mankind could harness that kind of energy...the human race would be off to the stars.

Source: (with vids)

www.space.com...

"Black Hole Quiz..."

Source:

www.space.com...

Or we could already have the technology to find such a resource.....hidden in an alien spacecraft in Area 51. If we could just get to other planets to gather resources we don't have on our own planet then the possibilities are endless. Then we could get close enough to a black hole to send a live stream satellite into it. I mean, who's to say that a spacecraft couldn't travel through a black hole? A star may get crushed because of its size. Smaller objects may be fine.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Id volunteer to be the first to test the old "Stars get vaporized but spaceships just might be okay" theory.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: LSU2018

Id volunteer to be the first to test the old "Stars get vaporized but spaceships just might be okay" theory.

You're not alone. I would, too. But only because I think we'd make through there ok.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Prediction. Little purple smudge on a fuzzy image full of colorful smudges. Not cool and stormy/swirly like in Star Trek.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Or we could already have the technology to find such a resource.....hidden in an alien spacecraft in Area 51. If we could just get to other planets to gather resources we don't have on our own planet then the possibilities are endless. Then we could get close enough to a black hole to send a live stream satellite into it. I mean, who's to say that a spacecraft couldn't travel through a black hole? A star may get crushed because of its size. Smaller objects may be fine.

Though I believe that black hole starship propulsion is feasible...I have strong doubts that there is any alien starship or crew stored in Area 51; because I believe that the ET aliens would do anything possible too retrieve said starship and crew by any means necessary.
edit on 9-4-2019 by Erno86 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2019 by Erno86 because: typo

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Assassin82

originally posted by: wildespace

www.youtube.com...

That guys did a fantastic job of simplifying the explanation so that a simpleton like myself could understand what he was describing. Except for the radial schwartzicle, I don’t know what that is.

thanks for this!

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruGueser

sounds shady to me.

He provided some information on the subject matter. Do with it what you want (i.e., ignore it or try to learn more about it).

Granted, nobody should blindly accept any information provided to them -- no matter who is providing it. However, that doesn't prevent us from listening to the information, considering the information, then applying it to what we already know and/or doing additional research.

I mean, hopefully that's what we did when we learned in school. We may not have taken the teacher's word as gospel, but instead take in any new information with an open mind that the teacher told us, then attempted to verify that new information based on what we have already verified in the past, or attempted to verify the new information through a bit of research.

If you did a little research into today's going theories about black holes, you would find that the information presented in that video can be verified to be based on the latest understanding science has on black holes. It may or may not be "The Truth", but that's what science is trying to figure out -- i.e., get our understanding of black holes as close to "The Truth" as possible.

However, like a limit in calculus, science may only ever hope to approach the truth without really ever getting there.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This could turn out to be very interesting, I have a sneaking suspicion that that a real space-time singularity is unable to exist in reality, and space-time may behave more in the way described by loop quantum gravity, having a limit to the energy density based on the smallest unit of length and time (Planck length and Planck time). If they can see an event horizon and determine whether or not real singularities occur in our universe it will be an extremely important discovery. I actually wrote a thread on this topic way back in 2013:

One theory which takes this approach is loop quantum gravity. In this theory space and time are broken up into discrete units and we can say with absolute precision exactly how much energy can fit into any given unit of space. Believe it or not, this is achieved with very solid mathematics and theoretical models. When matter is sucked into a black hole the bits of information which made up that matter are stored on the 2-dimensional surface of the event horizon around the black hole in a sort of holographic format.

Now if you're not a physicist, it may seem strange to measure matter in terms of informational "bits", but trust me it's very possible to do, especially since all particles are quantum mechanical in nature. Loop quantum gravity takes the idea that any given Planck unit of space has a very specific maximum energy density, so it's impossible to create a singularity or single point of energy which contains all the energy of the universe. Instead, if you work back towards the big bang you find that at some point space becomes "full" and it causes a big bounce event.

Quantized Space & Time

edit on 9/4/2019 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

With the data available i think that it is probably accurate.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Though I believe that black hole starship propulsion is feasible...I have strong doubts that there is any alien starship or crew stored in Area 51; because I believe that the ET aliens would do anything possible too retrieve said starship and crew by any means necessary.

Possibly, but what if it's so far underground that they can't locate it? That could also be the reason we haven't brought it above surface, too.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Just came across this discussion from the World Science Festival which took place last year I think, and it certainly seems to me as if these physicists are hinting at the possibility of new physics beyond the standard model in their upcoming results. It's already the 10th in Australia, we should get early access lol.

edit on 9/4/2019 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join