It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What science is left to do in a highly advanced society?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Almost everything in the Star Wars universe has been done in the last 25,000 years BUT scientists still exist in the society, so surely they must be working on something. What can that something be? Teleportation appeared in Legends and I assume it’s just not possible in canon (at least through technological means) as inferred in The Force Awakens novelization by Finn. Also megastructures are possible to create but the Star Wars citizens don’t need to waste money on Dyson spheres and Alderson Disks because they can just settle the billions of planets available. Megastructures are for STL civilizations.

Do you have any ideas?

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Science could try and not make living/basic survival synonymous with slavery.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MaxNocerino7

Possibly by realizing that as a civilization science doesn't "advance" us at all.

We need to retreat and take a deep look inside ourselves and then advance spiritually.

I do not equate the word "spiritually with "religion", before someone goes there.

We need to advance inside before we're going to go anywhere on the outside of ourselves, our world.

Otherwise, we will still be human children advancing our childish ideas.

With better toys, which so far we have used to gain power over others and kill people we disagree with.

An opinion.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: MaxNocerino7
Almost everything in the Star Wars universe has been done in the last 25,000 years BUT scientists still exist in the society, so surely they must be working on something. What can that something be?
It is still taking 12 parsecs to make the Kessel Run, they need to figure out how to do it in less than 10 parsecs.

Also a parsec is a unit of distance not time so they need to either figure that out, or else come up with a better explanation than the screwy explanations that have been offered so far for why it takes 12 parsecs to make the Kessel Run which is normally 18 parsecs.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

A parsec in a totally different galaxy far far away is a unit of time. And distance in measured in the time it takes to get there 😋

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Home fusion power. Star Trek replicator (3D printers) technology. Nanotechnology to change a person age and genes. Inertia dampers, anti-gravity, consciousness projectors, more interesting ways to experience God.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 12:21 AM
link   
If you mean a civilization reaching it's zenith and understanding the 'Unified Field Theory' or ...everything... as God. I think the DNA chain is the limiting factor, that ceases advancing any further in intelligence at some point. ..by design...?Infinity is a concept far to difficult to understand fully, as your question suggests it's activity.

It is known that there is a book that has been handed down for generations, wherein it is addressed.....thusly
1 Corinthians 2:9 “But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.”

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 12:43 AM
link   
In reality we are only just starting to scratch the surface of what there is to know about the universe. We still barely even have a solid grasp on gravity, no theory to unify quantum mechanics with relativity, we don't even know what interpretation of quantum mechanics is the correct one, and the vast majority of the energy in the universe is a mystery to us. We're still getting into space by burning chemical fuels to produce propulsion. There is much about biology we have yet to understand, many diseases and illnesses we have yet to cure. The problems remaining are much harder than the ones we have already solved, and there is a great deal of them.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaxNocerino7
Almost everything in the Star Wars universe has been done in the last 25,000 years BUT scientists still exist in the society, so surely they must be working on something. What can that something be? Teleportation appeared in Legends and I assume it’s just not possible in canon (at least through technological means) as inferred in The Force Awakens novelization by Finn. Also megastructures are possible to create but the Star Wars citizens don’t need to waste money on Dyson spheres and Alderson Disks because they can just settle the billions of planets available. Megastructures are for STL civilizations.

Do you have any ideas?

Lots of things. Go and have a look through a recent issue of Science or Nature. You only need read the abstracts to get an idea. Speaking as a scientist myself, there is a host of things that I work on related to the discovery of novel therapeutics for invasive infection. On the whole (and I am certainly not unique in saying this), I would say that it is still just as true now as it has always been that the more we know, the more the magnitude of what we don't know becomes apparent.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Isn't that like your fifth or sixth thread on this topic?

Stop spamming dude.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Science needs to find a way where we can spontaneously create physical reality as we imagine how it should be.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   
good idea, but a lot of people can scarcely spell.

a reply to: dfnj2015

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 09:57 PM
link   
A cure for cancer.

Oh wait...baking soda.

new topics

top topics

join