It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommended Philosophy for peace of mind and enlightenment?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
With the recent changes and added responsibilities in my life I have decided that I need a new school of thought to bring my state of mind to a healthy level. I’m an Atheist in the sense that I reject that global religions as truth, so Buddhism/Hinduism aren’t options for me.

I have tried searching in my own, but to no avail. I trust ATS more than google anyway. Thank you all I’m advance for any information.

Neech

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I was thinking more along the lines of actual schools of thought etc, unless you’re just pulling my leg.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Neechavela

There isn't just one that will work for everyone.

You have to try different ones until you find the one that works for you.

Personally I worked out a system on my own for myself that is unique to me.

Learning more about yourself will lead to knowledge of how to deal with your own mind.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Atheist in the sense that I reject that global religions as truth, so Buddhism/Hinduism aren’t options for me.

So am I .

But I am also a theologian and have found that many religious ideals are philosophical in nature and do focus on how to create a healthy mind.
The core of some of those teachings do not require a belief in any god.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
as a devout atheist myself, I can tell you what I liked

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu

I also enjoy listening to the lectures of Manly P Hall

originally posted by: Neechavela
I was thinking more along the lines of actual schools of thought etc, unless you’re just pulling my leg.

there is no 'one size fits all' for these things

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Just ride a bicycle a lot. You will be amazed at the positive benefits both physically and emotionally.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   

With the recent changes and added responsibilities in my life I have decided that I need a new school of thought to bring my state of mind to a healthy level. I’m an Atheist in the sense that I reject that global religions as truth, so Buddhism/Hinduism aren’t options for me.

I have tried searching in my own, but to no avail. I trust ATS more than google anyway. Thank you all I’m advance for any information.

Neech

You might like this book:

www.goodreads.com...

It talks about non-duality ways of experiencing the World as a more direct path to some sense of spirituality without organized religion.

The purpose of religion is the answer the four great existential questions:

1. Who am I?
2. Why am I here?
3. What does it all mean?
4. What is going to happen to me when I die?

For many people, it is very uncomfortable not to have precise answers to the four great existential questions. Religions give concrete answers to these questions by first having a set of assumptions or axioms considered to be true without any proof. One axiom would be, "God exists."

As an atheist, you've probably developed your own set of beliefs to provide a context of meaning in your life.

edit on 1-4-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Learn deep meditation to still your mind of incessant chatter and quiet your being. The rest will come once it becomes a daily habit. It sounds simple, and it is, but you will be surprised at the results.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
A relentless positive mindset should help.

If you want to try something totally different I would reccomend meditation. Osho's book of secrets is a good book for meditation from a tantra perspective. It has 112 meditation techniques. Bagawan Rajneesh *osho* was a controversial character, but his life's work was the book of secrets.

Basically, it's just lengthy explanations of meditation techniques. Meditation may help with a healthy mindset.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I recommend Toteg Tribe.
I'm not a member because it's kind of defunct since the founder Joseph Bearwalker Wilson died in 2004.

We are Toteg Tribe

We know that all things are children
of the Earth Mother and Sky Father,
and thus we are all related

We learn the lessons Mother Earth teaches us
through the languages of our brothers and sisters;
all that breathes, swims, flies, moves, grows, changes and exists

We aspire to walk in balance on Mother Earth
and live in harmony with all that is

We remember to speak with respect with all things

We honor and respect all of our ancestors:
physical, cultural, and spiritual

We listen with consideration
to those who choose to share their wisdom with us,
and respect their rights to do so
in their own way, in their own time

We invoke the power of spirit
for our own dreams and visions
for the guidance of ourselves and our Tribe

We respect your right to follow your own vision

We seek to find correctness, good judgment,
learning and knowledge in all things

We practice personal responsibility in our daily lives
affirmations

I try to follow the principles without pretending to be a member. This is my focus:
"We honor and respect all of our ancestors: physical, cultural, and spiritual."

As a former Christian I find that I don't have to reject or abhor my past; keep what's good, move on past what seems out of whack with reality. Plus, no hard feelings against friends or family.
edit on 1-4-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-4-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I think adopting a school of thought is antithetical to self-development, especially when each of us possess the capacity to create our own. Rather, study the necessary tools of thought, like logic, rhetoric and grammar. From these finite skills alone, one can express infinite possibility.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I think nature gives me the most peace of mind these days.
I no longer subscribe to any religion which in itself brings some peace of mind. I'll always believe there is a spiritual side to this life though.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The primary goal is to quiet the constant brain chatter. The meditation recommendations seem well enough that I’ll give them a go. Also the Tao Te Ching seems like it may be a good way to help.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Neech

I went through a tumultuous time of change this past year and got through it by using meditation/relaxation techniques, subliminal (and not) affirmations, exercise, healthy diet, and nurturing my friendships. I went through some trauma, but my life is good now!

Youtube offers some interesting tools -
For hypnosis /visualization/ relaxation, I really like this guys style and voice - Michael Seeley

A friend suggested to me listening to the recordings of Abraham- Hicks.
It is channelled material, so I was reticent at first (had my fill of that crap back in the nineties ... always the same).
But I found her interesting to listen to, with humour and a slightly different approach that I found useful for inspiration. Especially in moments when I needed to gather courage.

I read a few books friends loaned me, but that can be specific to your particular situation.
I've always found Carl Jungs work especially helpful in organizing my experiences and perspectives.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

If you don't take anything from any religion then you won't have options, I like the golden rule, from all the religions, and Buddhism has good ideas, cherry pick what you like, luciferianism makes sense also.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hello! Have you heard of the Law of One RA material?

www.llresearch.org...

www.bring4th.org...
edit on 1-4-2019 by TheGreatWork because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Only the truth about reality will set you free.

Reality is one without a second..... it is nondual.

So I would recommend looking into the school of thought called 'non duality'.

Here is a full length film about non duality.....
Whos Driving the Dreambus?

I also recommend taking a look at Alan Watts, Tony Parsons, Toni Packer, Peter Brown.

edit on 2-4-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreatWork
Hello! Have you heard of the Law of One RA material?

www.llresearch.org...

www.bring4th.org...

I am thoroughly enjoying this read.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Buddhism and Hinduism maybe religions, but they do offer very convenient, if not fundamental truthes about a "Peace of Mind. Although I find Buddhism to be more simplified more so then its way too elaborate predecessor.

Taoism or a book on the Tao pretty good even though it can be befuddling. There's also a few mountain men from the orient, like Ryokan who wrote peotry about it.

As for the west, some of the above are good to like Alan Watts, and philosophy in general, although it is considered masturbation of the mind, and isn't really considered peaceful to east counter part.

edit on 3-4-2019 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join