It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please start stocking up on food

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Well when ethanol is used in gasoline it draws moisture out of the atmosphere and creates problems in the carburetors of small engines. I am sure it also has an effect on any vehicle that uses gasoline although it is probably not as pronounced as it is in a small carbureted engine.

Particularly if people don't put stabilizer or drain the carburetors before they store the equipment. It is a well-known problem known by anybody that works on small engines ...just Google it or look on YouTube and you'll find a lot of information about it.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
a reply to: StallionDuck

Cane sugar and sugar beets are both making comebacks .

The grain left over from the distillation process is good for cattle. Especially meat cattle just before slaughter i’ve been told it marbles the meat . But it is also good chicken and hog feed even fertilizer .

Corn has other benefits they’re making great strides using it in biodegradable plastics .

I’ve brought this up before but if # does hit the fan and we wake up one morning to a world who‘s technology has regressed 200 years .

Whoever is growing potatoes and corn is going to be king . ( I should probably throw peanuts in there too )

I'll certainly have the wine and clean water (tons of campden tablets for sanitation of my carboys). I'm sure I could get a decent trade out of that

Sides... I can hunt and have plenty a plenty of wooded area (considering I can make it 350 miles back home) to hunt in.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   

The thing is, if sh!t hits the fan, you will be okay on your rural property for some time. Until food runs out and people migrate to the "self-sufficient" doomsday preppers for food.

One guy or two is not going to stop a gang of 20 hungry thugs coming to take what you got..

I think that's one thing people forget about. It doesn't matter how much canned foods and chickens you got if you got hungry people driving to take it from you...

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
just wait until the weather screws up crops this year

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

The thing is, if sh!t hits the fan, you will be okay on your rural property for some time. Until food runs out and people migrate to the "self-sufficient" doomsday preppers for food.

One guy or two is not going to stop a gang of 20 hungry thugs coming to take what you got..

I think that's one thing people forget about. It doesn't matter how much canned foods and chickens you got if you got hungry people driving to take it from you...

I think that's what foolish people forget about. This isn't the movies and this isn't Star Wars... This trooper knows how to hit stuff. I like to think that I would do better than most, considering my training, where I grew up and how I grew up. Not to mention the jack of all trades lifestyle that was instilled in me by being around my father and watching him. That's probably one of the best traits I've ever inherited from my father.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Well, my point is that nobody should be wanting the sh!t to hit the fan. Lots of good people without survival supplies will die, and then the survivalist will be in trouble when; A. Hungry mobs come, B. Government troops come, C. Foreign Government troops come, or D. Environmental/Radioactive disaster spreads across your land

In any scenario, you are just surviving until your time is up, no matter how good your shooting is..

Maybe you're very lucky and you avoid A,B,C, or D. However, my point is that most of us are screwed (even preppers) when the sh!t hits the fan.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
We just went to the store and bought thirty pounds of organic flour today, it is from North Dakota mills. Most of North Dakota is not flooded, but I read some articles about the wheat futures and it said there will be an increase in wheat prices coming. The thing is a lot of the organic flour producers will be hit, which will mean that getting the flour we use may be hard because the company will be supplying more to other stores around the nation. So that means we might not get it here. So we figured since we make our breads, we will boost our reserves up and add another fifty pounds of flour in rotation.

We are down on Rice and spaghetti, I suppose we should look for a sale on that too since it will probably be increasing in price in the future. Other than that, our stock is pretty decent. We just picked up some extra LOL Euro butter today, on sale for 2.89 a pound with store coupon, limit two per shopping trip, so the wife and I both got two pounds each with the three bags of flour. Ten dollar minimum non coupon items needed to use coupons.

I think I better go out again and get some more flour and butter. The LOL Euro butter only goes on sale about three times a year, this is because of easter coming up. Usually it runs 5.69 per pound.

We have enough food in stock for the wife and I to go six months, except of course we do need some powdered milk, looking for a good brand of powdered milk, I guess we will have to order that from somewhere.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

Flex fuel cars are designed to run on E 85 ethanol 85% alcohol 15% gasoline . I read once that with a compression change they can run solely on E 100 ethanol .

How to get to my point ....

E100 ethanol is 95% ethanol alcohol and 5% water. ( rounded )

If they don’t put additives in it you could drink it straight from the pump . Lol

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Yeah if SHTFI would have to make it home too.

The people of Eastern Kentucky and North Eastern Tennessee will hardly notice anything happened .

edit on 31-3-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
just wait until the weather screws up crops this year

Yes, when it rains it pours.

Last year here in this country we saw the worst of flooding ever. Typhoons, heavy rains and earthquakes. And yes, the prices skyrocketed. But a year later what we got to see is smaller packages and increase of prices. Just can't win with low prices these days. Nature is out there taking away the profits.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

If they don’t put additives in it you could drink it straight from the pump . Lol
Hmm. I wonder how fuel taxes would affect the price.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Good point

But you know the old saying. It’s cheaper by the gallon . Lol

Technically they would also need a liquor license . 🤔

We might be overthinking this ?

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
What I think people should take from the video and subsequent discussion is that there is benefit and nothing lost with having a life plan that includes being more self-subsistent wherever possible. We can't ever truly know what the future holds for our geographical area, or political climate, or how things might change away from the comfort zones we have created for ourselves.

Most supermarkets in the U.S. are but days away from running out, which could be caused by a simple delay in fuel for the diesels of the truckers who run the nation.

The more we can provide for our own needs the better. Ten years ago, my Bride and me took out a loan and bought solar energy stuff and a wind generator. It was a financial risk. It paid off, and now every month, we save about $400.

When we moved to the Caribbean, we started very-deep-bed gardening; we made an 8 X 10' raised bed that was two feet deep, and filled it with sandy loam mixed with powdered seaweed. We planted tomatoes in it every few weeks, and it bore us 120 pounds of tomatoes over a year. We could have done the same thing in large planters or pots.

Especially you city dwellers, you can use some of your spaces for growing things that make a genuine difference for you.

We have feral chickens all around us. I consider them to be mobile MREs. I grew up tending chickens and therefore don't want to coop them, but I sure don't mind eating them now and then.

It's more than just survivalism. It's more about shaping your world in a way that gives you more personal comfort.

40 years ago, I was homeless and living in my car. I started a cucumber vine in a pot, because I had faith I'd find someplace to plant it.

When we grow things, the attrition is often off-putting to people, especially if you use non-hybrid seeds. So, what's the harm? You plant 25 tomato plants and only 10 of them make it to maturity. That's a good crop. Once you learn how to dry and preserve the seeds from open-pollinated/heirloom plants, you are good to go, and it makes a wonderful thing to tend and enjoy as you grow older.

You can't share it, if you don't have it.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

That's why you don't go it alone. You form alliances with others. A group of people withstand the hungry mob far better than a single family. The trick is to form a coalition that can trust one another when the going gets tough, and since you may not be able to work with a perfect group of preppers, you may have to work with those who haven't fully prepped but are smart, tough, have skills, or are able and willing to learn.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

This the kind of stuff you need to stockpile....

but I still have about 2oolb of beans and rice...I think I would rather die than eat that much beans and rice.
edit on 31-3-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-3-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The events in that video are unlikely. We will probably have a recession in the next 18 months. But it doesn't look like things will get that bad.

But ... ya never know ...

However, whatever you believe is going to happen, don't allow fear to rule your life.

And never become so paralyzed by thoughts of the future that you're unable to live in the present.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Higher corn prices mean higher poultry, pork and beef prices.

Chickens are raised industrially on a corn/soybean diet. Most of the domestic market for these crops is in use in livestock feed.

Beef in particular must be "finished off" for 30 days or more so that the beef in marbled in a way consumers like. Beef fed only on grass is stringy like adult goat meat, unless its finished on wheat or corn.

The cattle marked has frequent gyrations, in part because of the fact that if the price for "live cattle" drops, you can just put your cattle in a feedlot for the month, and see if beef prices improve. It often increases to make up for the cost of additional feed... Mad cow and Oprah had sharp, short term effects on the market. The cattle market is extremely complex, and it's a lot like gambling....

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

Rarely do I see a reply that explains things that clearly and simply.

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

I do want follow that up with a question though.

My opinion was based on local experience through a butcher that slaughters cattle. My family had dealt with him for decades. ( he’s dead now so if he was pulling my chain it won’t hurt his feelings ) lol

Occasionally he would give us a warning about a coming price increase and claimed animals were being sold cheaper now. I will always assume that was because farmers were consolidating their herds .

Does that just happen in the local market or is there a temporary price to decrease nationwide ?

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Hmm. I wonder how fuel taxes would affect the price.

Pure hype and not worth posting...we will all help each other, why is that such a foreign thought within first class countries, I ask you?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join