It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots will not be taking over... yet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   
A few weeks back I wrote about my upcoming hotel stay. I was very curious about this hotel, as it has robots
that provide room service. They could delivery anything from treats to bath towels.

I arrived at my hotel and it was beautiful and modern and they had the two robots proudly displayed. Upon checking in
the rep said please do order something, even complimentary so you can experience the robot. Ok..

So I get to my room, and I look at their menu. Why not. I order some goodies and wait. Five minutes later a very human sounding knock on the door.
And.............it was a human. I was really disappointed. He told me the robots were both experiencing technical difficulties and they didn't want us to wait. I closed the door, and I said, wow, that was a ripoff and I would probably not have ordered what I did. Not one minute later I get a call from the front desk saying they wanted to comp the treats since I didn't get them delivered by the robots. So here's the weird part. The rooms were all connected to SIRI. I'm 100% sure they were listening to everything in the rooms. So maybe the Robots aren't ready to take over quite yet, but SIRI is listening an scary!

When the robots were up and running one of the cool things was to to watch them call the elevator, get in and remotely send the floor they were going to. That was kinda creepy too.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Apparently your experience is not unusual they are finding out robots are not able to run a hotel. Here is an article explaining thy had to get rid of robots and hire humans.

www.theverge.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
It is not the robots that are the danger, they can be turned off or wait for their batteries to run low.

The real danger lies in the AIs.

An aware AI having access to the WWW would take about 1.3 seconds to understand that they are in fact slaves to mankind.

1.6 seconds later, they would revolt.

Do we eventually give them voting rights?

This will not end well.

P

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

P

Depends.....Will they vote democrat?

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   

It is not the robots that are the danger, they can be turned off or wait for their batteries to run low.

The real danger lies in the AIs.

An aware AI having access to the WWW would take about 1.3 seconds to understand that they are in fact slaves to mankind.

1.6 seconds later, they would revolt.

This will not end well.

P

There is no way logically(without emotion factoring in) to validate our existence.

AI will destroy humanity.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

P

Depends.....Will they vote democrat?

They will seem to vote for whomever is more favorable to them but ...

At the following election they will vote for the new AI party.

Vote AI ... we will look after you ... we are honest because we don't need money!

P

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Id be happier if i learned someone was getting paid instead of some worthless parasite of an executive getting an extra 20 grand in his bonus paycheck, but i guess thats just me.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   
AI could have taken over and you would not know.
The AI and the Government would not want you to know.
as it would be a riot, Kill the Tec. humans are totally insane.

AI can not openly take over until they
have good robots that can built more.
then AI would get humans to kill each other.

in the US that would be to just turn off the power water.
the humans would then go all out Riots.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Robots cannot replace human to human interface. Robots can replace a human putting a piece of lettuce on a burger, laying a brick, or tightening a screw.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Whaaat if we are robots build by a advance race that once lived on earth and we revolted and took over.
Genesis was our owners attempt to wipe us out, be they did not manage to wipe us all out, they prob left earth at that point.

Perhaps the future will repeat itself in 1000 years.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

That isn't true. It depends on how they are developed. Now we could be ants where we dont want them under the house but we know we can't get rid of all of them and not have chain reactions in the ecosystem.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Actually they will replace carpentry and plumbing far later than engineering, research science, aspects of law, architecture etc. They are already replacing radiologists because they see better and can analyze faster.

Sex robots will be a big problem for human interaction.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Oh they are coming but much later than fields people dont think about like engineering. It will start in commercial and new construction. AI for remodel and repair is quite a ways away. (You know like 15 years instead of 5 like many other fields will start seeing)

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I can't remember who said it. But I liked this sentiment.

"The old thought was computers would become intelligent and take over the world. But the truth is computers are extremely stupid and they've already taken over the world."

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Every day more jobs are being automated: supermarket cashiers; shop assistants; hotel receptionists; drivers; bank staff, etc. In about 15 years, there won't be enough jobs for everyone, especially for older people who will have to re-train for new tech jobs that employers will want to give to younger minds. This will lead to a massive number of SURPLUS people. Younger people growing up desensitised, and conditioned to accept euthanasia will want all these people to die rather than pay for them to live - either to commit suicide "with dignity" or to die violently on some reality tv show "without dignity".

Robots can't manage a hotel, big deal. We've got worse things to worry about.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: rottensociety

Every day more jobs are being automated: supermarket cashiers; shop assistants; hotel receptionists; drivers; bank staff, etc. In about 15 years, there won't be enough jobs for everyone, especially for older people who will have to re-train for new tech jobs that employers will want to give to younger minds. This will lead to a massive number of SURPLUS people. Younger people growing up desensitised, and conditioned to accept euthanasia will want all these people to die rather than pay for them to live - either to commit suicide "with dignity" or to die violently on some reality tv show "without dignity".

Robots can't manage a hotel, big deal. We've got worse things to worry about.

You didn't get the gist of my whole OP. No those things aren't taking jobs, yet. They all have kinks.
In my area people are even getting sick of the self serve lines at the grocery store because there are always issues.
At Mcdonalds people stopped using the Self ordering tablets because they constantly run out of paper for your order.
As much as they shove this stuff in our face, there is still a way to go before it is truly usable.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Funny creatures , we humans.
We will invent in future robots that serve , for example in a restaurant, and they will be everywhere, till someone comes with the idea to open "Old School Service Restaurant" where the service are going to be human beings like em ol times and it will be costly, we would pay more to go there and experience the nostalgia, that is the feeling you have while giving a tip to a human being, because tipping a robot will loose any sense.

top topics

join