It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump cuts all direct assistance to Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

There is a lot of poor people right here that needs to be attended first, like those homeless veterans.

Again , that's a failure of your government not because of foreign aid to the poorest nations.

A new spending bill signed Friday by US President Donald Trump to prevent another government shutdown over border funding allocates a $200 million increase in defense assistance to Israel than compared to years prior.

The provision tucked in the 1,159-page bill includes $3.3 billion in funds designated for security assistance to Israel under the 2016 memorandum of understanding between the Obama White House and Netanyahu government.

Another $500 million for Israeli missile defense was apportioned in a defense appropriations bill passed last fall, making American aid to Israel total $3.8 billion.
www.timesofisrael.com...

The economy of Israel is advanced by global standards.Israel ranks within the top 20 nations in the world on the latest report of the UN's Human Development Index, which places it in the category of "Very Highly Developed", allowing the country to enjoy a higher standard of living than many other Western countries.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Trueman

Very well done President Trump. Why should we give money to the main source of illegals.

Because cutting aid money will make their countries better and stem the flow of migrants looking for a better life....brilliant plan.

Well it obviously wasnt doing much if they were leaving already.

someone on your side of the argument could say the money is better off in the US were it can go towards the massive cost of dealing with these caravans

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Seems to me it's the USA drug war policies that creates the drug cartels in the first place, aid is given to these countries to fight our war on drugs, if that money dries up, how are they going to stand a chance against the cartels? These countries might get help and influence from Russia or China thus weakening our best interest in these countries. This will cause the drug war to inch closer to home, I think it's a terrible idea.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

originally posted by: Trueman
a reply to: gortex

Look man, I know you just want to help poor people in other countries but we can't afford that right now. There is a lot of poor people right here that needs to be attended first, like those homeless veterans.

Just out of curiosity, why do you single out veterans, when you make that statement? Are they, somehow, more deserving than any other homeless person?

I agree that we have more problems, than money, and we certainly don't need to import more. Just trying to assess why you put that qualifier in there.

Maybe like me he is a vet. Maybe he also supports wounded and disable veterans organizations. I do.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

originally posted by: Trueman

Look man, I know you just want to help poor people in other countries but we can't afford that right now. There is a lot of poor people right here that needs to be attended first, like those homeless veterans.

Just out of curiosity, why do you single out veterans, when you make that statement? Are they, somehow, more deserving than any other homeless person?

I agree that we have more problems, than money, and we certainly don't need to import more. Just trying to assess why you put that qualifier in there.

Maybe like me he is a vet. Maybe he also supports wounded and disable veterans organizations. I do.

I assumed that he was a vet.

My question was, should veterans get preferential treatment as it pertains to dealing with the homeless situation? There are homeless women and children as well.

I'm not anti veteren, military, or anything like that. I was interested in the point of view that he had, not knocking it.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   

It may inspire the people who can enact change to enact it, if they want money again. Or are you suggesting we keep giving them money when they are not using it for the people anyways?

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

It was just an example. We can keep going with a big list. Farmers, single parents, disabled people.....

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   

your example is not valid at all. Israel doesn't send caravans of illegals to our country. Israel respects US.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

It may inspire the people who can enact change to enact it, if they want money again. Or are you suggesting we keep giving them money when they are not using it for the people anyways?

I admit, I have no first hand knowledge of corrupt government officials in central America, but I assume they are taking $ from both the US, and the cartels, as they would be dead otherwise. That makes continued support from the US, literally, a good money after bad situation.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I admit, I have no first hand knowledge of corrupt government officials in central America, but I assume they are taking $ from both the US, and the cartels, as they would be dead otherwise. That makes continued support from the US, literally, a good money after bad situation.

I know people from Central America and they all say their government doesn't do anything to fix the situation. Sending money to corrupted governments was stupid.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

If these countries were actually using the money for their people ,maybe they wouldn't have so many trying to leave.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
It is just common sense.

I think the US has to get tough on Mexico.

They are the ones paid my someone to look the other way.

Why even treat them like a country. What they are is a bunch of Drug Lords basically running the country.

Cut them off for a while ... but then ... the Drug Lords would not care.

P

You hit on something...the cartels....it's an old, well used tactic. While they get everyone's attention to the boarder and crossings...even support the caravan's...it diverts attention from them smuggling through other obscure locations...

Yell "FIRE!" everyone stops and looks....and meantime....the cartels ate robbing your house....while Mexico and others just watch the fire...doing nothing.

Cutting off the $$ is a good 1st step...but I think it's the cartels keeping things moving rt past them....

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Exactly. If Obama did this people would cheer it, #OrangeManBad though.

Work for your people or we will stop giving you money, it's that simple.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Exactly. If Obama did this people would cheer it, #OrangeManBad though.

Work for your people or we will stop giving you money, it's that simple.

And don't let either political party decide who is getting the money, they are too political. It needs to be an independent organization or two that makes that determination.
edit on 30-3-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's been proven that helping countries where they are is better than sitting and waiting for them to implode and cause even more issues.

But, like I've said before, this wall isnt to keep illegals out. This wall is to keep the influx of refugees from flooding in from the storm to come.

Sad. People rather put a drop in the US budget, before humanity. The protectionism in the US is so tight right now they cant even be willing to aid less than a 200m to multiple nations, that's less than 70 cents per citizen. Bill gates probably donates more.
edit on 30-3-2019 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2019 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

It's been proven that helping countries where they are is better than sitting and waiting for them to implode and cause even more issues.

But, like I've said before, this wall isnt to keep illegals out. This wall is to keep the influx of refugees from flooding in from the storm to come.

Sad. People rather put a drop in the US budget, before humanity. The protectionism in the US is so tight right now they cant even be willing to aid less than a 200m to multiple nations, that's less than 20 cents per citizen. Bill gates probably donates more.

Show me where it's "proven".

Your math skills are also lacking, or are you exagerrating for effect? Twenty cents × population doesn't equal 200 mil, and our foreign aid is much more than that anyway.

In any case, I don't like our own government wasting money, let alone other nations.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

The US has been sending money for decades.

It hasn't helped. It just lined the pockets of those in power.

I say cut funding until they do get their own countries in order.

I say cut funding to every country that negatively impacts the US.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
bout fricken time

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I corrected my math.

Taking in immigrants isnt going to solve their problems. The problems need to be solved where they come from.
And yes, it is less than 200 million for the nations hes targeting. It's more to 180m.

I dont understand why his focus is to dismantle any sort of progress for south and central America, what is the fixation? Closing borders, stopping aid, pointing blame, what good is coming from this?

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I think that's a wise simple policy :

I say cut funding to every country that negatively impacts the US.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join