It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are these SAM sites at Groom Lake?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Zaphod might even get a kick out of this one (though I think he's mad at me)...

In order to transport the structural members from Utah we had to build these specialized semi-trailers. At the time we also manufactures much of the frames for AutoCar trucks as a sideline so building trailers was something which was in our wheelhouse. Imagine trying to take an arch 30' high and 120' long down the highway. You couldn't carry them sideways because it was too wide, and you couldn't carry them upright because they were too tall. So we had to carry them on an angle. Even then they were too tall to go under most bridges and still over-size (width). We had to map out every bridge, and overhead line, find alternate routes, know where all the construction was, any narrow spots, and have a complete plan for each state we had to cross...then pull all the necessary permits for each state.

We could only carry two beams at a time per truck and that was even overweight for most states (especially with frost laws), so one building would require six separate loads.

And, in the case of Minot, because it was an active SAC base with live nukes at the time, we practically got killed one day when the end of one of the steel beams apparently crossed over a line painted on the ground (there were lines painted all over the damn place). We were backing the truck up and around into this really awkward location immediately adjacent to a ready hangar with interceptors. Next thing we all knew we were face down on the pavement with M-16's shoved in the back of our heads and guys hollering at us! Then they drug us off, separated us in different holding areas and interrogated each of us for a couple hours. I forget what color the line was (there were different colors for different things, but I think it was blue or red...might have been some other color, don't recall). I'll just never forget this real stern AF Major coming up to me when they let us out into this hallway. He got right up in my face like a freaking drill instructor, red faced and veins popping out of his forehead and says..."DON'T...EVER...CROSS...THE...(BLUE)...LINE!!!" I know he was really serious and all, and it was a big deal, but it was all I could do to keep from busting out laughing. It wasn't like any of us crossed the line personally. (Personally, I don't think anything crossed the line really, close maybe but not across it, I think they were just all crazed from being stationed in Minot!)

(again, I don't remember the exact color, I just remember the orientation thing we had to go through where they pointed out all these different lines and said this one means this, and that one means that, this one you need permission from this group, etc...and then there was the ..."this line you NEVER cross, no matter what!")

The other funny thing I remember was when anyone new would come to the site, after their AF orientation the Supt. would put his arm around the guy and nicely say..."C'mere, I want to show you something...". You'd look out the construction trailer window and he'd be out there for like 15 whole minutes pointing at that line from a distance. He'd be waving his hands all over the place and then pointing at the line. He'd point one way, and then another, then make these grand dramatic waving motions like the apocalypse. It was hilarious, I wish I had a tape of that!! Never did know exactly what he told them.
edit on 3/29/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

What's that strange sound right at the beginning, the one that sounds like someone bending an old saw blade?

Is that some kind of an eddy current of air or something? Or, is it something from the air starter?

I've heard that before, but never on a commercial airliner, seems to only happen with high performance jets.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Yep. That's the one.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

The JFS engaging.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Definitely Surface to Air Photon Torpedo (SAPT) launchers.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

So it's just the sound of air rushing through the engine as the JFS fires?

Or, is it the sound of the first bottle firing and then the second?

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Both actually. The initial high pitch, climbing whine is the JFS itself. Then it's the engine as it starts to turn and pull air through.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
SAM sites typically have a center control bunker that is surrounded by the missiles

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I wish MCBH had a hush house. Fortunately, The P3s are going away and no jets are here permanently.

We recently turned in a bid for the flatwork for a hush house at Hickam though.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

They're red. They are pretty funny about them, especially when the alert mission was active. I've seen the crews for the aircraft get jacked up for trying to take a short cut.

We were able to cut across them most of the time, which was nice. Made things a lot easier for us.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
SAM sites typically have a center control bunker that is surrounded by the missiles

Wow this is great
I appreciate that, good to know especially since I spend so much time searching on Google Earth these days

Digital Globe is a good provider of imagery also, and I have been looking for a paid time share type of service where you can request X number of re-images an area per day

I was actually thinking of doing a thread on Iranian missile sites but can not find up to date photos
edit on 3/30/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

If you run around near NTTR during Red and Green Flag you'll see some interesting Freightliner trucks pulled off into the dirt. They have mobile missile simulators that drive around the range. They have a full radar simulator, and all kinds of interesting gear on them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join