It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there ANY way?? Even if we ask "pretty please"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Is there any possible way we could have some kind of an auto-save feature here on ATS?

Gawd, I have lost SO many posts here it's unbelievable!! Yeah, yeah, I know...do them in Word, or Notepad, and you won't have this problem.

The problem is, honestly, it's a hassle to have to open up word/notepad all the time...and candidly, I just simply forget sometimes. A response to a post is usually a stream of consciousness, and I, for one, don't start a response with the notion it's going to be long, but then reality gets in the way, and clarifications need to be made, and the next thing you know it's longer than you thought. Then, the slightest, teeniest, tiniest, thing happens and...

...POOF!...

It's GONE forever!! And, no amount of going back will recover it!

UGH...that just drives me crazy!

Here's an example...I run wireless routers. The way I have the security set up is to issue a 24 hour token. If you exceed this window you are presented with a login page upon hitting "Post" here. So, if I don't keep track of exactly when my token expires (down to the minute) I'm SOL and lose a post. Another example is when you have multiple ATS tabs open (and this one drives me nuts), and then you scroll up to see what someone said (and no longer can see your in-process text)...and then you accidentally hit the 'back' key on the wrong tab...POOF...gone again! I could probably draw up 15-20 scenarios where posts just get lost. I've seen others say this same thing, and for some reason ATS seems to be the worst for this happening (and I think it has something to do with the way 'myATS' opens a new tab)

I'm not complaining, as much as hopefully asking nicely if there's any possible way to get some kind of an auto-save feature for in-progress posts?

Please, pretty please...with sugar on top???

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 05:04 AM
link   
if they do it i'll eat my cat

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

Crispy, or grilled?

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

hmmm... maybe grilled. can't find her now why is that ?

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

These might help, if you are using Chrome there are extensions that will automatically save the contents of the form fields, in case something happens in the browser. One of these saved my butt many times when I used to edit content on websites.

www.google.ca...

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It may sound weird, but I copy the text I write in the box before posting, then if it's lost, that's when i open notepad and paste.
edit on 28-3-2019 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

You don't have to keep opening text/word processors....leave them open and never close them out....bookmark open, minus it down to taskbar or put link on desktop....

You can open both ATS-Word or txt editor next to each other to create or edit....just leave it in taskbar or desktop....zoom pages to equal size, side by side.

You can create without the additional opening and closing...Ive been using multiple windows simultaneously like MS WORD and another couple sites since around 2004-5 or so....

Just leave it open, minused and ready

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Oh, I have that happen once in a while too, a long post and it fails to download. The internet goes out for a couple of minutes and poof it is gone when you try to send it. I just figure the authors of this reality are making sure I do not expose something or make an enemy. So just figure, what the hell, it really wasn't that important anyway. Just put in a simple post that says the same thing in a tenth of the words.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

You don't have to keep opening text/word processors....leave them open and never close them out....bookmark open, minus it down to taskbar or put link on desktop....

You can open both ATS-Word or txt editor next to each other to create or edit....just leave it in taskbar or desktop....zoom pages to equal size, side by side.

You can create without the additional opening and closing...Ive been using multiple windows simultaneously like MS WORD and another couple sites since around 2004-5 or so....
That's a good solution which works for me too, except I use wordpad instead of MS word, because it uses less resources and I don't need any of the more advanced features of MS Word when saving simple text.

I expect ATS is not going to want to do the auto-save thing because of resource demands on their server. Autosave is one advantage of Word since wordpad lacks that, though I've never needed it for wordpad; my lost text for ATS has always been related to the browser, and I haven't lost any posts from lack of autosave in wordpad yet, been doing it for about 9 years.

originally posted by: hombero
These might help, if you are using Chrome there are extensions that will automatically save the contents of the form fields, in case something happens in the browser. One of these saved my butt many times when I used to edit content on websites.
That's an interesting suggestion. The Lazarus add-on says it works with either Firefox or Chrome and it sounds like it might help solve flyingclaydisk's problem, though I haven't tried it (I'd want to make sure form data isn't being sent to any 3rd parties for example).

www.maketecheasier.com...

edit on 2019328 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Don't mean to point out the obvious, but why not just highlight the text every few paragraphs or before hitting reply, left click mouse and select copy... PROBLEM SOLVED.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Yeah, I suspect you're right.

I'll try Mysterious' suggestions.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I had that problem a few times, but using Opera makes it very rare, as when I go back to the previous page the form still appears with the text I wrote before hitting the "reply" button.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

It a pain in the bum. I copy the text every so often. Cas it hurts when you loose a long post.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Hit Control-C and it saves to your OS clipboard.

For thread creation, I usually have word open and create it there. I save links there using BBcodes so they do not auto correct to hyperlinks (like at the end of my day and I am reading some detailed article that I may want to pick up in the morning. So I have one word document with a couple of pages of just links!).

Just be aware that you have it save in your OS clipboard, or you may end up posting your acronym game entry at the multi-state webex!! Yup, did that... once!

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
I expect ATS is not going to want to do the auto-save thing because of resource demands on their server.

I never looked into it, but I think it's possible to do it all on the client side, with cookies.

new topics

top topics

join