It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Setting Off Explosions To Investigate Glacier Melting???????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I was recently on weather.com because I was trying to understand exactly what is causing the sudden rise of water in the Mississippi river that will lead to major flooding in the midwest. And then I came across this video: weather.com...

weather.com... ions-in-antarctica-may-reveal-melt-mystery
. I need someone to explain to me how setting off explosions in Antartica itself is not what is causing the global seas to rise. How does a scientist come to the conclusion that they need to set off explosions to investigate what is causing glaciers to melt. Am I the one that's insane to think this is insane or is this just normal protocol that I am unaware of. I tell you what, it seems to me that there is a lot of evil happening on the planet that is being passed off as just normal activity when there is nothing at all normal about it and this to me comes pretty close to the top of the list. But please someone ANYONE correct me if I'm wrong because maybe there is some way to set off explosions in Antartica without contributing to global sea risings that I am unaware of. Please educate me on this one because I'm baffled, confused and downright ANGRY.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Mr Knowledge

They did the same at Mt. Saint Helens. I did a thread on it here
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1021501

Perhaps they at looking for the same thing a pool of magma. The purpose was to use the blast to help create a better image of the maga pool that is underneath the mountain.

Perhaps Ice is melting because of an increase in magma in the chambers below the surface.
edit on 27-3-2019 by Observationalist because: Spacing

edit on 27-3-2019 by Observationalist because: Link fix

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

The explosions are produced by very small packets of explosives set off about 6 feet below the surface of the glacier (which is more than 5,000 feet thick) .

They are not causing the glacier to melt, nor are they causing sea levels to rise but they do allow researchers to use seismic instruments to determine what is under the ice. In this case, large areas of liquid water.
edit on 3/27/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

How is blowing up glaciers going to look for a pool of magma going to stop the problem. And if they find the pool of magma they're looking for, what the hell are they going to do then? It's not like they cap it to prevent more magma from coming out. These people are crazy, evil, and insane. The worst part is them passing it off as normal activity. Weather.com making the report as if everything is just fine. This is something to be outraged about.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

The explosions are produced by very small packets of explosives set off about 6 feet below the surface of the glacier (which is more than 5,000 feet thick) .

They are not causing the glacier to melt, nor are they causing sea levels to rise but they do allow researchers to use seismic instruments to determine what is under the ice. In this case, large areas of liquid water.
If you say so, but I remain skeptical. I don't see how exploding the glaciers is a move in the direction of solving the problem. All I know is they're exploding the glaciers and the seas continue to rise. From my perspective, the two events are correlated.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   

They are not exploding the glaciers. But they are learning more about how global warming affects them.

From my perspective, the two events are correlated.
The lakes under the glaciers are not caused by the testing.
www.antarcticglaciers.org...
edit on 3/27/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

They are not exploding the glaciers. But they are learning more about how global warming affects them.
mkay

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No they are not learning about global warming, they are just blowing up ice and draining lakes of fresh water, and actually ARE causing the destruction of the glaciers for purposes that have NOTHING to dp with research and everything to do with making money, spreading lies about glaciers, promoting global warming videos....

And should be stopped, they are destroying the environment.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO
a reply to: Phage

No they are not learning about global warming, they are just blowing up ice and draining lakes of fresh water, and actually ARE causing the destruction of the glaciers for purposes that have NOTHING to dp with research and everything to do with making money, spreading lies about glaciers, promoting global warming videos....

And should be stopped, they are destroying the environment.

Um.. Phage is 100% correct and you should probably learn to read posted links before replying.

The charges are used to collect seismic data... much like radar for solid objects.

They are not "destroying" the glaciers, draining fresh water lakes or destroying the environment.

To the OP... are you honestly attempting to correlate the Mississippi river rising with setting off blast charges in Antarctica?

Can I possibly point you to a really weird alternate explanation... excessive precipitation on the North American continent this year?

Crazy talk, I know...

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Sounds about right. They're causing the problem and then making it look like they're doing something important about it, by blowing up ice because they're scientists and no one should question what scientists do because they supposedly know what they're talking about and are the best chance we have at solving the problem money mongerers created in the first place.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Mr Knowledge Scientists are trying to kill us off? This is serious. They just call it global warming while trying to murder us all? That's not cool. What should we do about it?

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: trustmeimdoctor

I never said anything about anyone trying to kill us off. Not that it isn't a plan of action for the global elite. I just never mentioned anything close to that. And I never said I had an idea of what can be done about it. The only thing I was trying to do is understand logical reasonings behind the actions of the scientists i.e. creating explosions in Antarctica.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 12:26 AM
link   
These explosions amount to tapping on a 2x4 with a hammer; yeah you might make some dents in the surface, but the overall structure will remain unchanged.

There are actually several methods by which this data can be obtained:

Comprehensive 3D characterization of temperate alpine glaciers using geophysical techniques

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The midwest has had massive snow melt recently, the rivers in Iowa and Nebrasks are overflowing, it's deemed a national emergency.

The Raccoon River in Iowa is/was insane. (I havn't seen it lately)

I would go tubing under interstate 80 there and it was probably 40' to the bridge trusses.

The water and ice chunks were up at a level high enough to hit the trusses.

It's the worst I've ever seen there. Unreal

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Science by blowing stuff up!

That's what you get, when scientists grew-up watching MythBusters.

Seismic blasting; fracking; particle smashers; etc...

Hulk smash science!!!

But seriously: the Antarctic dudes don't appear to be destroying the glacier.
Just some supposedly small blasts, while they gather the seismic data.

Am less convinced though by some of the seismic sonar some scientists do in the oceans.
Don't know it it's more or less harmful than regular sonar, to the marine wildlife.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

There's not a scientist on Mythbusters.

Adam and Jamie are experienced model-makers for special effects. Tory Belleci is a model-builder. Kari Byron is an actress. Grant Imahara is the closest they have to a scientist on screen; he has a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and is adept at robotics.

I'm sure they have some actual scientists on staff behind the scenes, but you never get to see them. It's just an entertainment show, and many of their experiments are quite unscientific. They make many assumptions, I assume for the entertainment value.

As to the glacier issue, I doubt they are releasing explosives strong enough to cause appreciable ice melt (there will be some even if they use point charges). But when trying to prove ridiculous theories, sometimes one must go to ridiculous lengths.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Agreed that MythBusters is just an entertainment show.

Was just attempting a little humour, in suggesting that today's scientists, may have grown-up watching MythBusters and Hulk-smash cartoons.

Sorry if that wasn't clear, you know: internet forums, and all that.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Oh, it was clear; perhaps I wasn't. I'm agreeing with you.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
What they are doing is introducing an element of control into an inherently variable environment. If you know precisely what variable you are introducing to an area, you can interpret the results better. As opposed to waiting for stuff to happen and then trying to guess why.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

There's not a scientist on Mythbusters.

No, but Mythbusters did attempt to do their experiments in the correct manner. That is, they tried to identify and isolate as many variables as possible in order to control the experiment, and so they were more likely to get a real result.

When you change one variable at a time who doing experiments, any differeing outcome likely can be attributed to that variable.

Therefore, Mythbusters' methods were often a scientific way to conduct experiments.

edit on 3/28/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join