It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube view count - does anyone know if it includes downloads & off-site links?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   
There are a lot of sites that mirror youtube content and some do it differently than others. Some I can tell it is streaming the content straight from YT while others the content is coming directly from their server (which doesn't mean there isn't some network manipulation going on to hide the youtube source, similar to NAT). Some sites you can use apps/addons/extensions that allow you to download the video and it works just like being on YT, probably because it's streaming from there. But other sites, the apps are useless.

Then there are the non-browser related apps that basically tap into the YT service and download the video to your hard drive, similar to the apps described above, but without ever accessing the site with a browser. I've downloaded some videos on very low view count videos (like 12 views), and did this on 6-10 different computers (desktops, laptops, virtual machines - some using VPN's, using different ISP's, so it didn't look like it was all being sent to one source/IP address). The views never changed.

There are a lot of people who make a list of video's they want to watch each day, download them to their machine (USB drive, phone,laptop, tablet, etc) and watch them without having to worry about massive amounts of mobile data usage.

I know a lot of news sites that show videos on a page, often use YT as the source (you can tell by right clicking on the video and copying the URL) but there are also ones that have the identical video as that which is on YT (same length, file size, name and md5sum) but it is hosted on their site, and it's clear the source was YT as it was posted minutes/hours/days before. If a video like this has 10,000 views on YT but 50,000 views on the news site, how does that work out for the video uploader? Do they get compensated from YT? Is the news agency stealing the content?

On another note, if anyone has unlimited data, how much do you pay, what speeds do you get and how is the coverage? Do they ever throttle, slow your speed down to a near crawl or even just during peak times like 5pm to 10pm?

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   
It shows when there are offsite links, and even tells you which sites link to the video.

I am putting videos of painting my paintings on my art page. When people watch it here on ATS, it tells me on my youtube.

Cheers,
piano
edit on 27-3-2019 by pianopraze because: spelling

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze
It shows when there are offsite links, and even tells you which sites link to the video.

I am putting videos of painting my paintings on my art page. When people watch it here on ATS, it tells me on my youtube.

Cheers,
piano

Thanks, that is good to know!

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

First result on Google for "does YouTube count views for embed" boostlikes.com...

Come on.

posted on Mar, 26 2022 @ 06:14 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join