It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tsunami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
hi everybody!

im posting this because i have a friend and he doesnt believe in God for multiple resons but when i asked him y one of the things he said was that if he really did exist then why wouldnt he stop the tsunami? and i told him what i thought was the answer (i forget what it was now) but he didnt like my answer so does anyone have a reson y they think God wouldnt have saved them/stoped the tsunami, another thing that he said was that if their was a noah's arc then how would their be polar bears and stuff?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
1. There is no personal God.
2. There was no global flood.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
You could just as easily ask why didnt God save the people in 9/11, all the jews in the holocost, and a billion other things.

Every1 has to die at some point. Why God takes them when He does? We dont know. We'll just have to wait till we get up there to ask him.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
What does God have to do with whether we die of natural causes or in the tsunami? Or, at one month or 100 years?
When it is your time to leave this earth, it is your time to die. People don't die because God is punishing them. One could argue that those on earth are the ones God is punishing, hmmmm?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Your out of luck buddy. There is no argument that could logically work out for you. Either god is a sadistic killing machine who has no regard for human life, or he does not exist in the capacity you want him too.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Wow we have some people on this board that are presumptious to the point of being arrogant. We live in a Universe created by God in which there are natural laws and events that just occur out of necessity in the system. Pressure has to be released from the crust, causes tsunami's etc. Its not a divine act, evil act, etc. its just reality and how nature works. God never promised us a world where everything would work out perfectly with us with no effort. That was Eden and we left the garden a very long time ago.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
i think if god does actually exist he doesnt really control anything at all, he just creates, and watches. thats just my oppinion

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by trust_no_one
hi everybody!

im posting this because i have a friend and he doesnt believe in God for multiple resons but when i asked him y one of the things he said was that if he really did exist then why wouldnt he stop the tsunami? and i told him what i thought was the answer (i forget what it was now) but he didnt like my answer so does anyone have a reson y they think God wouldnt have saved them/stoped the tsunami, another thing that he said was that if their was a noah's arc then how would their be polar bears and stuff?

1. God does not interfere with our lives, it is a responsibility we unfourtionatley must take on due to a gift given to us caled free will.
2. Noah's arc.. different ways to look at this. a) if one sife of the world floods, then wouldnt the other side ahve LESS water? b) the polar bears migrated there after the water sank down. 3) EVOLUTION

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ivanglam

2. Noah's arc.. different ways to look at this. a) if one sife of the world floods, then wouldnt the other side ahve LESS water? b) the polar bears migrated there after the water sank down. 3) EVOLUTION

ya i kinda said that they would have evolved and/or migrated but then he said that noah's flood if it did happen it didn't happen so long ago from when continents would have been attatched (so the bears could migrate) or something to have evolved into it

and remember with your a point that it was a global flood so that the entire world would be coverd in about the same amount of water

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
You could just as easily ask why didnt God save the people in 9/11, all the jews in the holocost, and a billion other things.

Every1 has to die at some point. Why God takes them when He does? We dont know. We'll just have to wait till we get up there to ask him.

ya but if i asked him why he didnt ave people in 9/11 and stuff that wouldn't help my argument that God does exist

[edit on 1-3-2005 by trust_no_one]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
God does not want us to die horrible deaths.
God does not want us hurt.

I dont think God can stop the madness in this world, at least not on a one by one basis.

This is why the great tribulation is in the works- He wont descriminate this time.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by trust_no_one

Originally posted by Croat56

ya but if i asked him why he didnt ave people in 9/11 and stuff that wouldn't help my argument that God does exist

[edit on 1-3-2005 by trust_no_one]

Well maybe perhaps then God KNOWS that his kingdom in heaven is immensley better than this dump we live on. From a scientific viewpoint, if you went to an extremely pleasureable land called heaven, and had the choice to come back to earth, would you if you knew that eventually all your family and friends would be joining you?

If that aspect will not work, simply ask your friend WHAT he doesnt want to believe in... to not believe in God/a god is quite miserable... living only to die, no where to go afterwards. Perhaps he is just talking like this for the sake of areguement. My basic understanding of it is and always will be, FREEWILL.

It is because of freewill, someone can kill a person before thier 'time' is up. if God takes that freewill away from someone, then God would be doing something bad, and he wouldnt do that anyway... And why would God want to "keep these people alive" if they are going to a better place to live with him?

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
This is indeed a tough topic to help someone with. I myself am still coping with the tragedy. Basically we're trying to understand something that's beyond us the best we can. I found the best answer in a statement from someone I don't know:

Like so many people, I have struggled with this question as it pertains to my own life and the lives of others. Only by coming to terms over time with something terribly sad in my life have I come to understand the role God plays when human tragedies occur.

I now feel that my God does not send bad things to punish us or test us. In fact, God does not send them at all. Rather I sense that there are powerful forces loose in the world, forces like evil, disease and death.

What is God's role in all this turmoil? If God is not sending the disease, the accidents, the tragedies, then why not, Zeus-like, step in and prevent them? For me, this is a harder question. The experience of the individual cries so clearly for divine intervention, for healing, for salvation from emotional or physical pain. Although sometimes miraculous healings do occur which suggest the presence of the Divine, in my experience there generally is not much physical intervention.

However, the "intervention" I have experienced has been as powerful as anything physical. I have grown certain that God actually mourns these horrible events with us, that God is as sad, even more so, about what is happening to me as I am. God's role, I have felt, is to be "by my side," to understand me, to comfort me, to "lead me beside still waters... [and] restore my soul" (from Psalm 23) in the metaphorical "Valley of Death" which I face, as does every other person in the world. Finally, and most importantly, God's role is to help me heal on a daily basis- help me collect the pieces broken by experience- help me become Whole again, Whole as I was intended and created to be from the beginning by this loving God.

--Elizabeth

Hope this helps in some way...

Pray, train, study.
God bless.

[edit on 2-3-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jukyu
Wow we have some people on this board that are presumptious to the point of being arrogant. We live in a Universe created by God in which there are natural laws and events that just occur out of necessity in the system. Pressure has to be released from the crust, causes tsunami's etc. Its not a divine act, evil act, etc. its just reality and how nature works. God never promised us a world where everything would work out perfectly with us with no effort. That was Eden and we left the garden a very long time ago.

You speak as if you know for a fact that God created the universe. Yet you speak of the arrogance of those who are, apparently, presumptuous. Interesting.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo

Originally posted by jukyu

You speak as if you know for a fact that God created the universe. Yet you speak of the arrogance of those who are, apparently, presumptuous. Interesting.

The point of his post is not about God, it was simply about how the tsunami was a natural event that occured from natural causes, not that God sent it just to kill those people. I know for a fact that God created the universe. Without God (or any superior being for that matter) there would be no universe. The fact is that until one can accept that there is a God, many things seem inexplixable (like in some universities where they state the chicken-before-the-egg-theory for how the universe was created.... according to them it was always here and always having big bangs and big crunches) Without the acceptance of God, how is it possibe tor there to be any matter?

So yes, I am certain that there is a God. now I ask all others who belive in God, what are your reasons to belive and why are you certian?

new topics

top topics

join