It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So many immigrants and welfare recipients are so ungrateful and never stop complaining

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Now I know there are a lot in BOTH categories that don't fit in this generalization, IDK if it is a large % or small %, but NPR makes it out to be the vast majority, so take that for what you will. I know many, many are good people and this doesn't apply to them at all. But PR seems to freely give a platform to any of these people who want to complain and moan and they do it weekly if not more (the reporting that is..)

Listening to NPR, they were talking about how oppressed some illegals are as well as people living in poverty because they have to deal with hot weather and allergies. Most of them have AC but it just isn't enough, it doesn't turn their apartment into a walk-in icebox in the summer, so well, let's complain about it on NPR!

Every few winters our local paper does a story on how the local communities all along the rivers and lakes in the North East (and probably middle/N Western America & Canada as well) used to spend A LOT of time on the "off season" (when they weren't tending the fields or animals) plowing the frozen rivers and lakes. They would then use large saws, like those 2 man saws used to fell huge trees back in the day,to cut blocks of ice from the frozen waterways. These were HUGE blocks, weighing from 100-500+ lbs, and they would use horses to haul them out of the water then stack them on carts/trailers.

The plows are incredibly similar to what is used today, but it they were more like an earth grader with the blade in the middle, horses up front, dragging the plow and cart behind it. Then there would be kids and women shoveling the rest of the snow that was missed. It was VERY difficult and dangerous work. People and horses died every year doing this by falling into the water, though many did survive - they had practice getting them out of the water quickly, but if bronchitis or pneumonia set in (or even ear infections), that was a different story.

After the harvest, they would transport the ice to, yep, ICEHOUSES (like what the brand of beer - that picture on the label is an old icehouse) where it would be packed in sawdust (saved up all year from milling lumber) and it could last year round, even in the hottest summers! By mid summer the cost of ice was at a premium often reserved for transporting freshly harvested crops to distant cities (even back to England, South America and Caribbean!). As a treat in the summer, kids could get "snow cones" (ice chips) with various sugary flavorings, often with the waste ice from chipping away at blocks to make them fit in crates and such - or if you were rich, in-house iceboxes. I think milk was also stored here from time to time.

So now we have this group of people who think they deserve top of the line everything, luxuries that would have made the Rockefeller's, Carnegie's, Vanderbilt's, House of Morgan, even the Royal family (Englad) blush with envy.

We had AC growing up and but it was rarely used, saved for the hottest and most humid days, often when we had company and a lot of people in the house. It wasn't unusual for it to be 80-85+ inside in the afternoon (this was the same in school, probably hotter there). We had fans, which helped a lot, evaporation of sweat drops body temp from 5-20F depending on temp and relative humidity. People survived with fans like this since electricity had been invented and no one demanded that they be provided with luxuries that someone else had to work to earn.

As I say again, it's time to end entitlements (unless you PAID into it, like SS, SSI, etc). When you provide free things, you lessen the value of it and people don't respect the effort that went into discovering/inventing it, making it and transporting it let alone selling it. (They probably don't appreciate the people who got it for them for free!)

I was also watching something about teens (even young 20 something's) getting birthday and Christmas gifts. Many of them were outright furious if it wasn't EXACTLY what they wanted (like an Iphone x9+++ - they only got the X9++). Also when they get things like clothing or utilitarian things like tools, household goods, you can see the disdain/anger/hatred on their faces - but they also had other gifts that were of there liking and many acted like it was OWED to them, very little gratitude was shown. I'll admit when I was a young child, clothing wasn't exactly what I wanted (up until about 12yrs old) and I wanted toys, tools or stuff to do/learn.

When I got to be 18 or so, most of my gifts were some tool set or another and I was usually pretty happy unless it was the wrong thing (like wrong brand - batteries not compatible with my other tools - but they can be exchanged - it was the thought and idea that was good). I was thrilled with this because I could do so much with it. It helped me get better jobs b/c I learned a lot from using it and I was prepared when I got a work order for XYZ - I didn't have to turn it down b/c I had the right stuff to complete it.

I also spent a lot of my paychecks on tools for my profession, like A LOT, most of what I didn't spend on rent/car/insurance. It all allowed me to do more and higher paid work. It was an investment in myself. When I see young kids/adults wanting a Gucci keychain ($400 for a piece of leather...) or something else equally as dumb, I have to say I don't feel bad in the slightest for people stuck in poverty b/c of this type of behavior - most of them have better clothing (I wear 20+yr jeans & pants - still in good shape though), shoes, etc. I see them driving newer cars than mine (mine's almost 20yrs old with 300K miles and I did all the work/maintenance on it) but I haven't had a car payment ever, always bought outright on a car I could afford, even if it was $600.
Don't get me started on vacations I see "poor" people taking, especially physically disabled ones that miraculously seem healed while on vacation! For what they spend, they could take a semester or 2 of college or trade school. How many do that in-leiu of going to some tourist trap "hot spot" (god those are so often completely HORRIBLE!!!). I'm glad that most of them have never heard of the real good places to vacation and I think some of those places pay magazines to NOT put them on their lists - it would be killing the goose that lays golden eggs and getting a poisonous snake in it's place.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

More people complain about the immigrants and welfare recipients than immigrants and welfare recipients do themselves. People hate people. We have no love for strangers. I'm surprised the government doesn't summarily execute the free-loaders. We do not exactly live in a Christian nation.

edit on 24-3-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   

It's funny how we only criticize and hate in other people what we do not like about our own character.

Maybe there's something in the way the immigrants and welfare recipients are doing in their behavior you do not like about the way you are doing it in your own behavior.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   

So many immigrants and welfare recipients are so ungrateful and never stop complaining

You have the same mindset it seems to readers such as myself by how you express yourself all over ATS

just about every thread or post you author is a complaint.

Keep up the hypocrisy, just don't be blind to it if you are.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   
ya, I am starting to think about taking a vacation. but, considering that I really don't want to drive as far as the airport is, which is just across the city, and really can't afford a ticket, my vacation would probably just consist of me renting out a hotel room closer to home and enjoying the cable tv and enjoying a meal I didn't have to cook. getting away from the family and the wild kitten that seems to not like me that much.
why bother.

so you want to end the entitlements? have you considered the fact that most of the people relying on them outside of the single moms with young children not old enough for school are working full time or between jobs? wonder just what those people would do if they were to have their food stamps and hud subsidies cut. kind of think the first thing they would do would be to demand a raise from their employers, which well as all the conservatives say, will increase the prices of those mc donalds big macs too much. as well as your groceries, and a whole bunch of other things you take for granted. heck, you might even find your own paycheck decreasing as your company scrounges around for the funds to actually pay the peons in your company a living wage.. since employees aren't really that productive if they starve to death!!!
you can't cut the entitlements as long as the economy is depending on those entitlements to keep so many employees afloat... and you can't reduce the number of those employees without convincing the employers that they should be paying those employees a sufficient wage. and unless you can convince those employees that hiring 50+ employees and invest the time and funds in training them into a new field when their body breaks down and they can no longer do the physically demanding jobs they were doing or they were replaced by a newer younger version, well, ain't gonna matter weather they take a vacation or go to trade school.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The problem is that the standard of living has changed. Used to be poor meant dirt floors, 1 meal a day, zero electrical devices and an 18 hour work day where your paycheck went to the company store.

Now.... Poor means you ain't got a play box, your car is over 5 years old and your telly is less than 55 inches and you ain't got a 5g phone.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

poor means sitting at home, not being able to drive much further than the grocery store and then not being able to walk through that whole store.. finding your eyesight screwing up for some reason while you drive down the mountain and not really being able to read the packaging when you get to that store. knowing that there is something wrong but still hesitant to go to the doctor because every cent of your social security is going into the roof you have over your head, food for the family, and the danged $400+ electric bill. waiting to die, worrying you won't last, because you danged adult kids are still depending on you because they aren't able to make enough money to hold their own!!!

I have the cheapest cell phone I could find, hate the thing, I have a old laptop, we have no tv, no cable, my car is finally up and ready after $800+ in repairs.... which might mean that we are looking at a week of no groceries this month... but what the heck... I wanted my 10+ year old car back so that I can have a way to get to the doctor next month if by some luck I can find a little money to shift in that direction.
by the way, my grandma was a single mom during the depression, she lived on the money her and her mother earned sewing quilts and stuff.. they didn't have a dirt floor, they lived in the home that her father built for them... my mom showed be how much it cost to build it, fixing our danged fireplace in the house we are in now would cost more!!

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Condoms.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

You sound like an Appalachia-American. My peeps all came from Eastern Ky.. Coal miners. I know what poor looks like. Unlike back then.. Peeps today have food banks, welfare, Emergency Rooms, and the Internet.

I certainly empathise with your situation.... But compared to my grandparents is all I am saying...

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The legal immigrants do not complain that much. About a third of people on assistance are spoiled though, still most of them are satisfied with the help they get and appreciate it. That third seem to get heard and it forces the assistance programs to necessitate extra paperwork and stupid regulations. Some people have no intention of ever getting off assistance, but lots of people only go on it temporarily if they need it. Some of the rules that the welfare programs make actually make it harder for people to get off of assistance, like the car rule, their car is necessary to work and if both of the couple are working part time, they need two cars to go to work. Selling one only makes it a hassel to get off assistance.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

actually, I am a NY refugee... currently living close to Appalachia, or maybe we are just barely in that area, not sure really. but I was raised in NY and all of my family roots are from NY and northern PA.
we had food something similar to the food banks when I was a kid, you were given powdered milk, peanut butter, cheese, and other gov't surplus foods. as far as I know my parents never had to rely on them, but then, my mom had lots of friends who did and there always seemed to be some of the peanut butter and cheese in the house. maybe they were given too much, or maybe they were trading the stuff for free drinks at the bar, have no idea really. and, well, i would walk to school with the daughter of my doctor, who just lived up the street from us. you know back in the day when the doctors didn't live in the most expensive part of town and commute to their offices, nope his office was the lower part of his house. but well, there were many times when I swung I stopped in to pick her up for our walk that when he asked my how I was, I would complain to him I wasn't feeling well, had an ear ache, a sore throat, or well, lost of stomach aches since that got me some wintergreen candy to settle my stomach. but he would give me free medical check, see something was wrong, and while I was at school, would slip my mom the medicine he thought I needed... doctors just don't do that anymore... emergency rooms might be fine when it comes to providing lifesaving emergency care, I mean if you are diabetic and can't afford your insulin, hey, if you get to the emergency room early enough they will keep you from becoming comatose and dying... but you are on your own when it comes to the routine care of the disease and obtaining the insulin that you need. or, doing much more than slapping a splint on a broken ankle and giving you a little pain medication if you ask for it as I learned through experience.
I am very well aware what poor looked like in the 70's and I am very well aware of what it looks like now days although now days, you can't look for the poor in the obvious place, where the people are earning the least amount of money. it's more obtuse, since those who earn the least amount have the food banks, the welfare, the medicaid, the energy assistance, and the rental assistance. it's more spotted, they are earning money, they just aren't earning enough money, but they are earning too much money to get that assistance. and where back in my time, back in my and your grandparents time, people didn't have the gov't to count on to care for the poor in their community and took it upon themselves to help each other out.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I wasn't saying there aren't any poor people out there. All my family in Ky are considered poor. They are 4 or 5 generations in now and are still stuck in a cycle of no jobs.. But won't move. Especially as coal has dried up.

My point was that overall...the standard has risen.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

More people complain about the immigrants and welfare recipients than immigrants and welfare recipients do themselves. People hate people. We have no love for strangers. I'm surprised the government doesn't summarily execute the free-loaders. We do not exactly live in a Christian nation.

many of us work hard and long for our $ and we greatly resent it being taken and handed out to no-loads.
Christian ethos is 'if a man does not work he does not eat'. the problem is lack of this attitude, not too much of.

how many 'strangers' will you take into your home, uninvited, and support?

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

forgive me for saying this, but it seems the biggest freeloaders may have been the disciples... traveling from town doesn't appear they had any source of income...
and yet, christ told them that if a man asked for their coat, give it to them....
so, the gov't is asking for your money to help the poor, just give it to them!!!
unless you want the poor to be standing at the street corners with cups held out... and then... god says.. just give it to them...

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

actually, I am a NY refugee... currently living close to Appalachia, or maybe we are just barely in that area, not sure really. but I was raised in NY and all of my family roots are from NY and northern PA.
we had food something similar to the food banks when I was a kid, you were given powdered milk, peanut butter, cheese, and other gov't surplus foods. as far as I know my parents never had to rely on them, but then, my mom had lots of friends who did and there always seemed to be some of the peanut butter and cheese in the house. maybe they were given too much, or maybe they were trading the stuff for free drinks at the bar, have no idea really. and, well, i would walk to school with the daughter of my doctor, who just lived up the street from us. you know back in the day when the doctors didn't live in the most expensive part of town and commute to their offices, nope his office was the lower part of his house. but well, there were many times when I swung I stopped in to pick her up for our walk that when he asked my how I was, I would complain to him I wasn't feeling well, had an ear ache, a sore throat, or well, lost of stomach aches since that got me some wintergreen candy to settle my stomach. but he would give me free medical check, see something was wrong, and while I was at school, would slip my mom the medicine he thought I needed... doctors just don't do that anymore... emergency rooms might be fine when it comes to providing lifesaving emergency care, I mean if you are diabetic and can't afford your insulin, hey, if you get to the emergency room early enough they will keep you from becoming comatose and dying... but you are on your own when it comes to the routine care of the disease and obtaining the insulin that you need. or, doing much more than slapping a splint on a broken ankle and giving you a little pain medication if you ask for it as I learned through experience.
I am very well aware what poor looked like in the 70's and I am very well aware of what it looks like now days although now days, you can't look for the poor in the obvious place, where the people are earning the least amount of money. it's more obtuse, since those who earn the least amount have the food banks, the welfare, the medicaid, the energy assistance, and the rental assistance. it's more spotted, they are earning money, they just aren't earning enough money, but they are earning too much money to get that assistance. and where back in my time, back in my and your grandparents time, people didn't have the gov't to count on to care for the poor in their community and took it upon themselves to help each other out.

Your writing tells me a lot about you, both what you write about and your consideration for others, among many other things. Have you heard of the "Enter" or "return" button? Did you miss school for those years where they taught about paragraphs and sentence structure? You post is a mess that few would bother to give a 2nd look at. but I'm guessing you want us to adapt to you, just like the title. Are you an immigrant? Welfare recipient? Feminist? Some BS ntersectional gender bender? Or are you just not caring enough to make what you read led gable for those on the board?

You obviously have an agenda, I was talking about how people complain non-stop about what they are getting. The food isn't good enough. It's low quality (better than what 1/2 the working class eats) and more. Their AC doesn't blast them out of the room. I'm sorry if I don't have any tears left for these poor soles. Those were spent on people who actually deserved it like people killed by illegal immigrants, people killed, raped or maimed by ex-felons on early release (killed while on house arrest none the less). They've been spent for the people who have been killed by being set ablaze while being tied up during a robbery by THUGZ (has happend about 7-10 times of black on white or asian violence) and it has happened over and over (the burning alive that is), and the families of the cops killed by rabid BLM supporters or just THUGZ in general.

I'm sorry I can't get worked up about someone's AC not being the best on the market - they are lucky to have a roof over their head. I'm sorry they don't have gourmet meels served to them by a michlin star chef. TRuly, I am. They are OWED this for breaking into this country. Oh, the humanity, how can we have allowed ourselves to sink so low. Maybe we can pull some native born white kids out of K-12 and send them over to the illegals houses with some hand fans and buckets of ice so they can fan them and cool them off.

And the Astma. They complain about it and complain about the medication they get. The child had it in their home country and got NO medication and almost died many times because of it. Now they don't get the $5,000 medication for the condition, maybe the get the medication (same medication, different brand/applicator) that costs $200-800 instead - you know the stuff the nation of 250 million -the US (plus 700 million in Europe, Japan Aus, Nz and elsewhere) used for 50-60 years without problem, but the immigrants and Illegals (none who are working) demand the top of the line, and why not, the Dem's won't say no to them.

If you want to keep pushing this subject, skewing what people say, ignoring what is actually said, fine, so be it. Two can play that game. If that is the type of war you want, then that is a very simple war to win, b/c your side has been doing it for 40-50 years against conservatives, but we've held the high ground in that type of immoral argument (if you think not, you have truly bough the party line). We can make Goebbels look like a grade school wanna be and turn out some "truths" the way your side has for 1/2 a century. When you get a taste of your own medicine, maybe then will you realize how reserved the conservatives have been for 50 years, but it has allowed us to see your side clearly for what it is, and it has galvanized a VERY large portion of the population to fight your fascist and dictatorial tendencies.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   

not an immigrant, native born.. not on welfare, disables and on social security widow's benefits, my english teacher in college complimented me (don't really think it was a compliment though), on my ability to write very long, technically correctly structured sentences. I am older now, and quite frankly, don't really care if you have the desire to read my posts or not anyways. If you had, you would have noticed that the "poor souls" I was pointing to as living in poverty weren't the ones that are lucky enough to be on these programs but rather the ones that are earning a tad bit too much to qualify and yet, still can't live.
and yes, I know what the return/enter button is on my computer.
All I am saying is that we can't just end these programs now. our economy has become addicted to that inflow of money. we have too many employees dependent on them because their paychecks don't stretch that far. we have businesses, and industries (like healthcare) that in some areas of the country are getting over 50% of their revenue from these programs. if hud stops subsidizing the housing, just what do you think will happen outside of alot of people would probably lose that roof over their head because they can pay the insane rent for it? think maybe there will be lots of empty apartments and houses in every city along with a few tent cities in our local parks? if the landlords can't keep their occupancy at a decent level, well, they will be strapped for money, won't be able to pay for the mortgage they probably have on the properties, and oops... major bank crisis across the nation. and that story would be playing out for every aspect of the economy that is providing the goods and services that those benefits help the poor obtain. grocery stores, healthcare providers/insurance companies, electric companies, colleges if you include the grants that are given out, ect.
it's easy to say, let's just stop the programs, but try coming up with a plan that will allow you to do that without tanking the danged economy please!

edit on 24-3-2019 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

forgive me for saying this, but it seems the biggest freeloaders may have been the disciples... traveling from town doesn't appear they had any source of income...

supported by voluntary contributions from the church. and remember Paul did some tentmaking to support himself.

and yet, Christ told them that if a man asked for their coat, give it to them....
so, the gov't is asking for your money to help the poor, just give it to them!!!

lol like we have a choice

unless you want the poor to be standing at the street corners with cups held out... and then... God says.. just give it to them...

I'd like foreigners to stop flooding our country looking for jobs that aren't there. I'd like native US residents to take what jobs they can find instead of expecting the rest of us to take care of.
nobody minds helping the truly needy, physically or mentally incapable, victims of flooding and other disasters, but we are all sick of subsidizing able-bodied young adults.

edit on 24-3-2019 by ElGoobero because: clarify

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
is the problem that the able bodied adults aren't working or is it that the able bodied adults are making their lives unmanageable by breeding with whoever, not caring if there is a realistic future with that person, and then deciding after the kid is born that oh, they just can't get along, have to separate, and oh, no, I don't feel like paying the child support how can I get out of it and leaving mom out in the cold? I mean, most of those who are not working and on welfare in my life have been single moms. and those jobs that you want them to take, the ones that the mexicans are taking, well, they are either too much manual work for them (ie, construction, paving, roofing, ect) or they are so low paying that they wouldn't be able to pay the child care for their kids let alone be able to meet the needs of their families on top of that.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
...I was talking about how people complain non-stop about what they are getting.

You complain, nearly non-stop, in your multi-daily stream of consciousness threads which you then abandon to once again begin the process anew.

new topics

top topics

join