It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Survival shows?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Amazing.

You know what I have never seen though?
How do these huts hold up in a storm?

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 02:02 AM
link   
The most realistic and intense survival show is Alone imo. It's been running for several seasons now. Another one I enjoy is The Island with Bear Grylls where a bunch of people are put on a remote island, but that's probably less realistic, I still find it enjoyable to see how a group of people survive compared to the solo survival in Alone.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

But just think. That 99% will die quickly. Then after they are gone the ones left can go and get all the stuff they left behind.

So many resources just lying around unused.
It will be a lot easier for the ones that survive after the rest are dead.
edit on 24-3-2019 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
The most realistic and intense survival show is Alone imo. It's been running for several seasons now. Another one I enjoy is The Island with Bear Grylls where a bunch of people are put on a remote island, but that's probably less realistic, I still find it enjoyable to see how a group of people survive compared to the solo survival in Alone.

Yeah im a bit of a Bear Grylls critic, because of some of the stuff hes done and said.......however

I think it would have to be more of a challenge trying to survive with another person rather than just alone...theres always that unkown factor with another person , thats gotta be tough!

Ill have to watch the show for sure

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Yeah im a bit of a Bear Grylls critic, because of some of the stuff hes done and said...

Well he's not really in the show except at the start when he drops them off and the end where he returns to the island and picks them up. The show has been criticized for some questionable scenes where the people are starving and then an animal just happens to walk onto their beach, but I'm not convinced it's fake and even if it is I can overlook little things like that for the sake of entertainment. It's certainly a hell of a lot more realistic than most of those dumb island group survival shows.

I think it would have to be more of a challenge trying to survive with another person rather than just alone...theres always that unkown factor with another person , thats gotta be tough!

There is a season of Alone where they partner up with another person, I think that was the season before last. The last season from memory was a returning of participants who dropped out in a previous season, for a chance at redemption, which I really enjoyed.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: Nothin

Amazing.

You know what I have never seen though?
How do these huts hold up in a storm?

No. What?
What storm? (Or should it be; 'which storm', ?) A theoretical storm?

Well so many potentialities...

Could be devastated, then rebuilt?
Could be improuved, with other natural features, like berming, etc...

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

Yeah im a bit of a Bear Grylls critic, because of some of the stuff hes done and said...

Well he's not really in the show except at the start when he drops them off and the end where he returns to the island and picks them up. The show has been criticized for some questionable scenes where the people are starving and then an animal just happens to walk onto their beach, but I'm not convinced it's fake and even if it is I can overlook little things like that for the sake of entertainment. It's certainly a hell of a lot more realistic than most of those dumb island group survival shows.

There is a season of Alone where they partner up with another person, I think that was the season before last. The last season from memory was a returning of participants who dropped out in a previous season, for a chance at redemption, which I really enjoyed.

Im with you honestly, for the sake of entertainment these shows are pretty fun..........and they still do offer some decent education or refrreshers on stuff you forgot about.......

Hell if it was ALL survival , legit, lol it would probably be pretty tedious and boring and no one would want to watch right?

Ill def check it out , i appreciate your contribution man.......looks like a fun addition........

Besides when it comes to knowledge, never discount anything right?

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Just to be clear because I'm not sure I was, Alone has nothing to do with Bear Grylls, and if you're trying to pick up or relearn survival skills I would highly suggest Alone, it definitely taught me a thing or two. The Island with Bear Grylls isn't nearly as educational but most people would probably find it far more entertaining than watching a person filming themselves alone trying to survive, but there's something about it I find really relaxing and engrossing.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Hey … I know you all might laugh me completely off this thread, but I must admit that my favorite survival type show is "Naked and Afraid".

I admit they do some things for entertainment purposes, but overall, they really do suffer in a realistic manner, and interpersonal problems are highlighted, which is realistic too.

I have learned more than a few things from watching the participants struggle on Naked and Afraid. I cannot believe those people do that voluntarily without pay. Some have suffered permanent scars.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I enjoyed watching Alone. There are some people on that show that truly should never be called outdoorsmen, but, watching the ones that do have what it takes is pretty cool.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I really enjoyed "Alone."

watched it with the kids, who loved it. We met "Fowler" (finalist on season 3?- Patagonia). He is an authentically cool dude and knew a heck of a lot about survival that didn't end up on the show.

Part of the set-up was that the participants were given a standard set of ultra-basics (sleeping bag, galoshes/wellies), and were allowed to choose 10 essentials of their own. This was really cool, a guy on season 2 took a mesh hammock. He didn't sleep in it, but instead converted it to a gill net and kept enough protein coming to make it to the final 4.

One of the items offered was that a contestant could bring a traditional bow and 6 arrows as one of their 10 things. I have seen a couple of contestants bring that, bu the show never showed anyone bagging anything with it.

I am an old man, and not in the best shape. But I love traditional archery, and practice on rabbits and squirrels, which we eat (in season). I find it hard to believe that no contestant could bag a mouse, ground squirrel, rabbit or even a deer.

Was this left out because of the hunting regs on location?

Even a couple of rabbits would have changed who won...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join