It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Telomers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I was just wondering, after considering Telomers for some time, after reading DRs' debate about human evolution, whether other mammels/animals have them at the end of their DNA as well, it could really question our and their evolution if it isn't so.

[Edited on 7-7-2003 by MrEisenhower]

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I think the work done by Cambridge University scientist on Nemotodes counteracts the argument that DR was making in that debate.

The Nemotode was the first creature to have it's DNA mapped (man was the second).A Nemotode is a microscopic wormlike creature one of the earliest that have evolved.Scientists were able to identify a gene that effectively gave the Nemotode no control over it's body.They then inserted the entire Human DNA and the Nemotode regained it's control.

Why would the Human DNA contain within it a gene that enabled Nemotodes to regain control??

The answer is very simple.As all species evolve they never discard their ancestors DNA,they merely build on it.Our DNA contains that specific Nemotode gene because,frightening as it may seem,what we have decended from had a need for it.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 02:12 PM
link   
So what your saying is that all species now would contain all these genes, telomers etc. because they would have evolved from a species that would have already developed them and had a need, e.g. the Nemotode. The variation in species comes from the basic DNA being built upon over millions of years.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Your body contains you parents DNA and their parents and so on.Your ancestors DNA is not discarded only built upon.That human DNA contains a specific gene from a nemotode means that that process has been going on for eons.I can't remember exactly what DR was saying about Telomers but I believe he was trying to show that they were a cut off point of some description.That Human DNA contains a gene specific to nemotodes shows that there is a clear line back past the evolution of man and far further.

top topics

join