It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops shot and killed man after his father requested a mental health check

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Excuse any problems with formatting, only have a tablet to work with.

So, the gist of the story is that a man was worried about his son. He was thinking his son was "off his meds", for what condition hasn't been reported.

He called our local 911 to do a welfare check on him, and explained that he was threatening to hurt himself or others.

www.centredaily.com...

I usually side with police on these issues. This one though has me kinda pissed. It was made clear to police, prior to them going to see the distressed individual, that he is most likely suffering from a breakdown of sorts. When confronted in his own apartment, he was wielding a knife. He would not cooperate with authorities, so they shot him when he started moving.

There were 3 officers who initially responded. I understand them feeling the need to protect themselves. Why couldn't 2 have drawn tasers and one their gun in case tasing didn't work?

My point is, the situation was made clear and more planning should have gone into the authorities approach.

I feel terrible for the father who will now, for the rest of his life, be asking himself "what if I didn't call the police for 'help'?"
edit on 20-3-2019 by seaswine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

Maybe the son was happier being shot and killed than tasered and events unfolded exactly how he wanted them to?

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

If it were my son, the police who needlessly shot him would have a miserable remainder of his/her life.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   

One more example of why you never call the cops. Sort you own # out, and hope the anti freedom troop doesnt come knocking.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlukeSkywalker

Maybe the son was happier being shot and killed than tasered and events unfolded exactly how he wanted them to?

In the moment? Most likely. I've never been on serious anti depressants but know many who have. If they stopped taking them it messed with their brain something fierce. Talks of suicide, wanting to disappear etc... BUT once they got back onto a healthy regiment, they hated the idea that they wanted to hurt themselves.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The community shares similar sentiments. The local police are "more than open to an independent investigation". An investigation being conducted by THE STATE FREAKIN POLICE DEPARTMENT.

Unreal....

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
As much as Hollywood makes it seem, using a taser can be extremely ineffective in certain scenarios (ex; probes dont penetrate clothing, missed the target, etc.)

I dont know about you, but I dont want to take the chance with a taser knowing someone is trying to stab me with a knife. If that taser doesnt work, well guess what? Your getting stabbed. You're an idiot to think anyone should take the chance of getting stabbed to spare the life of someone that's trying to kill you. Mentally I'll or not.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: mpol0717

Which is exactly why I said 2 tasers and one firearm. If he starts lunging and the tasers don't drop him, third guy opens fire.

Not to mention, they should've had a mental health professional on scene before breaching the guys apartment.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Give a listen

youtu.be...

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

And that is truly the problem, the police are not mental health professionals..do not ever call the police when it comes to this..or many other things.

They have no tools to deal with this.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Why call the police to do a "mental health check"? They are not doctors or in any other way qualified or equipped to deal with anyones mental health. When is society going to stop relying on them for this type of work?

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I listened and overall agree. I had plenty of encounters with local PD in my younger years and they were always very good to me, even when I was in the wrong.

Their job is often thankless and spat upon. My OP is not trying to do that. I suppose what I'm suggesting is that there should be more training/thought put into mental health situations.

This man's death was avoidable... I hope similar situations in the future yield different results.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I'm assuming this took place indoors. Try and imagine how long it takes you to lunge from one side of the room to the other. At the same time think how long it would take your mind to process what'shappening, make a decision, draw a weapon, and execute your decision...all before getting stabbed.

I've done a lot of knife training and within 21 feet, even when you know what is going to happen, you still get stabbed. Everytime. Knives are nothing you want to mess with.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

From what I've gathered, he called 911 and they decided to send police to the apartment. I wonder if the father didn't exactly know who to call. Their last name is very"african" sounding, so he may be an immigrant.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   
From the way it sounds his death could've been avoided at the cost of anothers.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Yes, 21 foot rule, I'm well aware and I'm sure it was a scary/stressful event.

The problem is that 911 was notified about the situation and it should've been handled differently. My blame isn't on the cops 100%, it's on the system and how things were handled in general.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Of course. 911 isn’t going to send EMTs out to check on somebody who’s been reported as threatening violence. They’re going to send people who are equipped to deal with violent behavior.

The problem is that law enforcement is not mental health professionals and circumstances don’t always allow for a happy resolution. My agency has a specially trained unit that trains other officers, who volunteer for it, in how to recognize and try to deal with mental health issues and get people the help they need. But those officers are a comparative handful on any given shift. Unless luck is with them, they very likely aren’t going to be the first unit sent to a possible mental health call, and they likely won’t be the first on scene. That means an officer who has no more training than whatever he or she has done on their own is now trying to contain and control the situation with zero formal training.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
Why call the police to do a "mental health check"? They are not doctors or in any other way qualified or equipped to deal with anyones mental health. When is society going to stop relying on them for this type of work?

States have cut back on mental health services drastically in the past few years. It used to be a mental health crisis worker would go with them (at least in my state). Talked to one the guys who worked for them about 5 years ago and he was telling me the state has been cutting funding so much that they were laying off employees.

My guess is the states are relying on the police to now be mental health employees to save money. Idiots!

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yeah I understand they need to act quickly when someone threatens violence. His apt. Has only one main exit plus a fire escape. The first responders (police) could've easily positioned themselves so that they'd be able to stop him from leaving the residence until more well equipped personnel arrived.

Instead, they busted into his apt, guns drawn. I know I shouldn't judge because I wasn't there, but the last thing that's going to help someone in mental distress (imho) is barging into their place, 3 men deep with guns drawn.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join