It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Tusk says short delay possible but only if May's (Bad) withdrawal agreement is passed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
So they've got us over a barrel and they know it , Donald Tusk says that the EU will agree to a short extension past March 29th but MPs must first vote for May's current withdrawal agreement , that's the one that keeps us in the EU in all but name.

EU Council President Donald Tusk said an extension, requested by the prime minister on Wednesday, was possible.

Mrs May has written to Mr Tusk requesting a Brexit delay to 30 June, saying she needed more time to get her withdrawal deal passed by MPs.

The UK is due to leave the EU next Friday, on 29 March.

Mr Tusk said he believed all 27 other EU members, who must sign off on the extension, would agree but it depended on a "positive" vote in the House of Commons.

The length of any extension was open for discussion, he told reporters in Brussels.

While the current withdrawal agreement could not be changed , he suggested additional legal assurances the EU gave Mrs May in Strasbourg last week could be formalised to help get the backing of MPs.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Parliament has brought us to this and Parliament should be held accountable , the only real answer is to tell Tusk and his cronies to stuff it , pack our bags and leave the EU with No deal on the 29th with our pride in tact and our £39 Billion still in our back pocket.

The only real Brexit IS a No deal Brexit.

I'm not angry ... I'm bloody furious !

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
With is going on with May's "gubment"? It embarrassing. Churchill would have told the EU to suck it on day one and they would have grovelled. Its what Europe does best.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I think Wilko's would be wise to stock up on pitchforks.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Am I being a tad thick here?....but what is the point of a short extension if EU want her to get her agreement through Parliament first???????
I think my brain has become totally addled with all the shenanigans!!!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Interesting politics here. The deal won't be that bad. Just need to get on with it and see where things take us. At the end of the day the deal is over the transition and the EU may find it difficult to press the legal points if the UK tells them to sod off.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Spot on

Skulduggery is afoot , it's hardly surprising as our Parliament have given the EU the impression they're incompetent ... which of course they are.

edit on 20-3-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
there was never, never, never going to be a deal that favoured the choice of leave, whether you voted leave or remain, the choice was not about the terms of any potential deal being made, it was simply about leaving or remaining. Why anyone would then believe the EU would offer us anything favourable when they have their own interests to protect, such as no one else leaving, make the UK pay the price for opposing another layer of bureaucracy.

I voted leave regardless of the deal to be achieved as I knew there was NO DEAL

Why we have wasted 3 years af fannying around rather than just getting on with it, I may be proven wrong to have voted leave but at least lets find out before we all die of boredom or apathy.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Am I being a tad thick here?....but what is the point of a short extension if EU want her to get her agreement through Parliament first???????
I think my brain has become totally addled with all the shenanigans!!!

Lol!! and how is she going to manage that?
Bercow's put a stop to

the same deal coming up AGAIN ...... and really she doesn't have

another.........

Interesting to see what sheis intending to pull out of the hat!!! can't wait.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This puts the UK is a very difficult situation.

Parliament has voted to rule out a "No-deal Brexit"

Yestarday the Speaker said that there couldn't be a third vote on Mays deal unless there was a significant change to what was being voted on. The EU are not about to change the deal so we won't get that significant change to the deal.

Now today the EU have said they will extend provided that parliament vote to approve the deal, something which is just going to piss off the entire of the UK and places us in an impossible position.

I wonder if she will quit tonight, doubt it, but she is due to address the nation in about 15 minutes.
edit on 20-3-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Theresa May to make a statement in under 15 minutes.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I don't know about anyone else but what pisses me off about this is how late they have left all of this.

I voted to remain, but if we are going to leave then lets leave, if we are just playing for time to revoke article 50 then just do it. Its the uncertainty that I think am pissed about

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I don't know about anyone else but what pisses me off about this is how late they have left all of this.

I voted to remain, but if we are going to leave then lets leave, if we are just playing for time to revoke article 50 then just do it. Its the uncertainty that I think am pissed about

it is so so sad that both the labour and conservative parties promised to honour the brexit referendum in their 2017 general election manifestoes.

it is oh so sad that the house overwhelmingly voted for the withdrawl legislation and now wish to tear apart an enshrined instrument they spent precious energy and taxpayers hard earned money on.

failure will have consequence.
f.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Sorry.

I know our politics suck, but dayum, cousin.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

The deal IS that bad....which is why both Remainers and Brexit supporters have been so passionately opposed to it.
It is literally the worst of both sides.

I'm all for just getting the hell out of it and then see where that takes us....because I voted to come out, it wasn't on condition of any deal, get out and then sort it out.
its literally so #ing simple!

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   
When I see clips of the parliament er.. chamber.. the body that sits on the sides with a narrow center facing each other.

They act like they've been drinking which is hilarious. The theatrics, expressions, things they say, the yelling, it's supposed to all be so serious like the U.S. Senate but it has this running comedic undertone to it that makes it enjoyable to watch.

I don't know how to explain it other than to say that it's a cultural thing to have the humor in it? You spell it humour. Is there a difference between the two? People throw fits, it's a lot more informal even though its an official important government body and everyone has serious jobs. Emotional? Kinda like dramatic acting.
edit on 3/21/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

the house of commons lol. the other place being the house of lords is a tad relaxed/sedated.

best times for amusement are PMQ's (prime ministers questions) usually every Wednesday. notice the speaker Bercow
is looking rather flush these days due to keeping the rabble in line.

f.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
This puts the UK is a very difficult situation.

Parliament has voted to rule out a "No-deal Brexit"

Yestarday the Speaker said that there couldn't be a third vote on Mays deal unless there was a significant change to what was being voted on. The EU are not about to change the deal so we won't get that significant change to the deal.

Now today the EU have said they will extend provided that parliament vote to approve the deal, something which is just going to piss off the entire of the UK and places us in an impossible position.

I wonder if she will quit tonight, doubt it, but she is due to address the nation in about 15 minutes.

Not quite sure why the entire UK would be pissed off about the deal on offer, I'd love to know who has actually read it and can speak with authority about why it is so bad.

Northern Ireland was always going to be an issue as it borders an EU country - how that will be managed in future will be interesting if there is to be no hard border yet the people who voted for Brexit seem to be against free movement of people - not sure how that was ever going to work, but is that the only real issue?

The ERG is a bunch of entitled self important tossers that instigated this and wanted no deal from day 1 regardless of the economic impact to normal people and industry.

Corbyn has been known for his anti EU sentiment, was against a second referendum until recently but now seems to realise the public as well as his own party see him as incompetent and has gone full circle..... showing his pathetic childish side in the process by walking out of a meeting where an ex Labour MP was representing a different political party.

The mess is Parliaments IMHO, not one person or one party. I voted to remain and think leaving will ultimately prove to have been a huge mistake, but what's done is done, this is a sorry state of affairs.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

Yet the people who voted for Brexit seem to be against free movement of people - not sure how that was ever going to work, but is that the only real issue?

I dont believe anyone is against free movement just free squatters

There are not too many places that cant be visited or settled in done in

the correct manner passports, visas, resident applications etc.

Not just landing in another country and expecting all the advantages .....

housing, benefits education, health care.......

The ERG is a bunch of entitled self important tossers that instigated this and wanted no deal from day 1 regardless of the economic impact to normal people and industry.

Yet what they are trying to get is exactly *what normal people voted for

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Yet the people who voted for Brexit seem to be against free movement of people - not sure how that was ever going to work, but is that the only real issue?

I dont believe anyone is against free movement just free squatters

There are not too many places that cant be visited or settled in done in

the correct manner passports, visas, resident applications etc.

Not just landing in another country and expecting all the advantages .....

housing, benefits education, health care.......

Yet what they are trying to get is exactly *what normal people voted for

I don't know, I voted to remain and I'm relatively normal. I don't think most of the ERG put the thoughts of normal people very high up the list of their priorities

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   

I don't know, I voted to remain and I'm relatively normal. I don't think most of the ERG put the thoughts of normal people very high up the list of their priorities

There are at least four people on this page alone who voted to leave who I would

say are relatively normal too ...... so the possibility is the ERG are representing

the thoughts of normal people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join