It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost phone, Found reality.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I noticed my phone missing yesterday evening. Even on the way home, my car told me it could not connect to my cell phone, but I ignored it because it happens a lot when the phone is even in my pocket. Sitting at home on the computer, I brought up Google and just said "Where is my phone".

I never did that before, but heard that Google could find your phone for you if you lost it...
Up comes the map, zooms into the roof of my office building, right over where my desk would be. It tells me that it is 28 miles away, has 12% power currently and it will lock it for me until I retrieve it.

Hey, just amazed at not having to look everywhere, but then had the sudden realization about the preventions in place to prevent others from zeroing in on me (where my phone is, usually with me.). Scary, as I was not asked for anything, like a password , number, ID, nothing. It knew what to do. The info comes from Google cookies I am sure... but it just seems like it would be just too easy to get loose.

Anyone agree?

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

What if your wife does it and it comes up as being at your mistress' house.

That would be scary.

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!

Must be a Santa phone.

P

edit on 17/3/2019 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I agree. That will ring your bell for sure.

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 02:12 AM
link   
No need for a mark on your hand or forehead.

We’ve willingly accepted “the Mark of the Beast”, and many of us have taken a bite out of the “Apple” (iPhone) of knowledge.

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I tried this, it does not show the location of my phone but I can let it ring and other things.

I am logged into gmail maybe that is where the info comes from?

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 05:09 AM
link   
That only works if Google recognizes the mac address of the computer/device you are asking it where's your phone from and already has it tied to your Google id in their databases, friend.

I assume you've got an Android. You must have a Google id tied to it unless its rooted or you just want an inept phone pretty much.
edit on 17-3-2019 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Google is everywhere.

Punch "Google maps timeline" into that same search, and prepare to be horrified.

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

"Where were you between the hours of 11pm and 2am on the night of march 16th 2019?", said the cop.

"what? At home sleeping", said charlyv.

"No reasonable prosecutor would believe you would leave work without your phone, and according to this warrant your location history says that's where you were. We assume you intentionally left your phone at work to mask your location during the hours that the disappearance of so and so took place, and you're a prime suspect."

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

"No reasonable prosecutor would believe you would leave work without your phone, and according to this warrant your location history says that's where you were. We assume you intentionally left your phone at work to mask your location during the hours that the disappearance of so and so took place, and you're a prime suspect."

Thats exactly the problem for a guy like me...the people who made the choice of giving their money to these companies who don't care about them,you or I, are screwing it up for people like me who don't carry a phone, have a "smart" phone and do care where my money goes and who I am supporting.

Everyone-"But everyone is doing it, its safe and easy??"
Me-"If everyone cut their fingers off so they could pick their noses...would you?"

I assume that someday I will be on a watchlist because I was stopped without a phone.

Thanks....everyone!!

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Yea, everything seems to be tied to either your cell phone or social media accounts! I bought a bag of Cheetos and there was a contest to win snip. Remember the days of instant win where something like a game card was in it? Nope, not anymore. Now you scan something with your phone to see if you won. lmao Still won't coerce me to buy one of those damn things.

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

"Where were you between the hours of 11pm and 2am on the night of march 16th 2019?", said the cop.

"what? At home sleeping", said charlyv.

Hmmm I posted a thread about this very thing not long ago.

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

You do this any time you set up google assistant. Your phone has a GPS module, and can also be triangulated via nearby cell towers and building wifi systems. You CAN turn this all off if you want.

edit on 17 3 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

You gotta turn off location history. When I found out that Google maps tracked me all the way to Kyrgyzstan I had to figure out how to turn it all off. Been off since.
edit on 17 3 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Turning off geo location features appears to work.

Or does it just stop you from seeing your location.

I would reference the hints given by Q.

Phones are not what they appear to be.

User controls are just a pacifier.

P

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Thats the thing, you can never be sure. Not with Google.

Thats why I've turned off most google features. My next phone is the HTC Exodus 1. I highly recommend looking into it.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Thanks all for your thoughtful advice. I was away today doing St. Patties rounds and discussed it with others who are just as concerned. You have to be a bit pro-active to stay off the radar today and there are a lot of good pointers in here.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

What if your wife does it and it comes up as being at your mistress' house.

That would be scary.

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!

Must be a Santa phone.

P

Actually this happened to me with my iPhone.

My best friend (she’s a girl) is someone my wife just doesn’t like. I’m sure there’s a little jealousy because I knew my friend long before my wife and we have a lot of history. But, most of it is that my friend and I do some crazy # when we get together. It’s always just stupid stuff; pranks, she’ll make up stories that we have to act out wherever we are, we make up long detailed and hilarious stories about random people on the subway with us, get in trouble (never anything major or law-related) - like I said idiotic stuff but it’s funny -for us. My wife, not so much.

Anyway, once I was just sick of having to argue about me going out with her (my wife is always invited) or have to listen to how stupid we are for a day or two after, so I lied. I do not often lie. I hadn’t lied to my wife at that time. I’m the kind of person that would rather ask forgiveness after than permission before, but I don’t lie about it - yes, my boss can’t stand it but at least she trusts me to make good decisions and leaves me alone.

So, I forgot we both have the find my friends thing on our iPhones..... we use it when we can’t find one or the other phone.

Turns out while I’ve been trained to be a very good liar in my previous career and position therein, my wife always knows when I’m lying.

Never have lied to that woman again.

I do get to hear how stupid my friend and I are once a month or so though. At least she still lets us hang out.

top topics

join