It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUG: Posts Made Prior To ATSNN Upgrade Lost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I posted a replay to the following thread, apparently prior to an ATSNN upgrade:

US CIA Plane Sends Terror Suspects to Torturing Countries (from ATSNN)

The post is no longer visible in the thread itself, and according to dbates, the situation is "Bye-bye comments."

While opinions may vary, my opinion is that any "feature" which results in posts being "lost" is a bug, and not a feature.

My recommendation is that either the posts not be lost, or that replies be disabled during any period where such a loss may occur.

[edit on 3/1/2005 by Majic]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Status Quo?

Just curious: Will posts made under these circumstances still be lost?

It's making me somewhat gun-shy about replying to ATSNN articles whose status I'm not sure of.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Still Curious After All This Time

Am I the only ATS member who considers this to be a problem?

I'm just wondering if anyone is doing anything about it, or if it's not considered an issue worthy of attention.

Maybe I should have titled the thread "Postless in Seattle" or something more catchy like that.

Still shouting in the dark...

Majic

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well Majic,

All I can say is you've posted 1787 times and they only lost one. If I were you i'd be patting the good folks running the place on the back and telling them what a fantastic job they are doing.

Just my opinion though.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Hey majic, sorry I didn't see this or I would have responded.

The problem is that they are different threads. If an article gets approved, then ok, it stays on ATSNN. If, however, it doesn't, and gets moved, well, then the thread has changed. The original thread was done away with by the members, and so it is, in a sense, starting anew when it gets moved. That's why there's no replies.

Makes perfect sense to me. I wouldn't comment on submissions myself, unless it was pressing, or I knew.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
ok banned twice, now do you believe me?

i'm gonna prove this site is run by federal agents!

JAK

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Not by spamming the board you're not.

Smart thinking Batman.

Jack

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Always Looking For A Better Way

Originally posted by JAK
Not by spamming the board you're not.

If you have a better idea, I'm listening.

I reported what I consider to be a bug almost a month ago, and so far have heard nothing official one way or the other about it.

If you consider three posts in a month on this topic to be "spam", then you and I disagree on what spam is.

As for an acceptable rate of data loss, I consider "zero" to be a worthy target.

If I am out of line to keep asking about this, I don't see how.

[edit on 3/28/2005 by Majic]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
I reported what I consider to be a bug almost a month ago, and so far have heard nothing one way or the other about it.

Haha, join the club Majic. Have you tried sending a U2U? But even then, sometimes that feels equally fruitless.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Pounding On The Complaint Desk

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Haha, join the club Majic. Have you tried sending a U2U? But even then, sometimes that feels equally fruitless.

Well, I don't want to give the wrong idea. I do think this is a bug, and am interested in seeing it corrected, hence my persistence in bringing it up.

However, I also know that the ATS staff are very busy people who undoubtedly have bigger fish to fry than this at the moment.

My hope is that by pointing it out, the process that leads to disappearing posts will be modified -- if not by direct action, then as an "add-on" or "incidental" change that takes place as part of some other change.

People can reasonably differ on this issue, but in my opinion, the reliability and integrity of the posting process and post database are absolutely vital to a website such as ATS.

So I pray that my feedback is received in the spirit with which it is given: that of legitimate and benevolent concern for the well-being of one of my favorite websites.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Still Gun Shy About Commenting On Submitted ATSNN Articles

I still don't know what the dillio is, and I'm still holding my tongue on threads where I would otherwise comment, so this is affecting my participation on ATSNN.

Does anyone in a position to know have an answer, statement, comment, or whatever on this issue?

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
However, I also know that the ATS staff are very busy people who undoubtedly have bigger fish to fry than this at the moment.

Sashimi style, grilling or smoking would be far healthier for ATS staff and members alike.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Majic, call me crazy, but I don't usuually comment on ATSNN submissions unless it is something I feel would help the author fine-tune his post.

Let's face it, if it's really newsworthy, it will get voted in fairly quickly. I guess I don't understand the need to jump right in and post replies in threads that are really only visible to vote on. After all, until it is accepted, it may not even be in it's final form.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This was answered already by Seekerof I think, I could've sworn it was on this thread which is why I was surprised to see it surface again.

Try not to post on submissions, especially those you think won't make it. If they don't make the cut, the comments are lost.

I wouldn't call it a bug. It's a known issue, and is due directly to the way the board was intentionally designed. It may not be the best solution, but it's what's supposed to happen.

The day I turn down fried food will be the day I day, hopefully of arteriol blockage.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
That's Not A Bug, That's A Feature!

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Try not to post on submissions, especially those you think won't make it. If they don't make the cut, the comments are lost.

I wouldn't call it a bug. It's a known issue, and is due directly to the way the board was intentionally designed. It may not be the best solution, but it's what's supposed to happen.

Well, if it's intentional, then I guess it's not a bug.

But if it's intentional, then I guess this is as good a place as any to opine that I think it's a horrible design decision.

Dropping posts from a thread for this reason doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me. I'm really trying to understand the rationale behind it, but I can't.

Losing data is the cardinal sin of computing. If there's a logical reason for dropping posts, then I suppose I could agree with it. But the logic in this case escapes me.

I really don't get it.

However, if this is truly the will of the Great Architect of ATS, then I suppose that's the way it's going to be, whether I agree with it or not.

After all, those are the terms I have agreed to by being here, so I suppose I'll learn to live with it.

top topics

join