It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting Post I received this morning...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
from a very conservative friend. Just sorry I haven't seen this before... Kind of interesting to know that there are Europeans who feel like we may be on the r;ight track.

ONE GERMAN WHO GETS IT

Matthias Dapfner, Chief Executive of the huge German publisher Axel Springer AG, has written a blistering attack in DIE WELT, Germany's largest daily newspaper, against the timid reaction of Europe in the face of the Islamic threat.

EUROPE - THY NAME IS COWARDICE
(Commentary by Mathias Dapfner CEO, Axel Springer, AG)

A few days ago Henry Broder wrote in Welt am Sonntag, "Europe - your family name is appeasement." It's a phrase you can't get out of your head because it's so terribly true.

Appeasement cost millions of Jews and non-Jews their lives as England and France, allies at the time, negotiated and hesitated too long before they noticed that Hitler had to be fought, not bound to toothless agreements.

Appeasement legitimized and stabilized Communism in the Soviet Union, then East Germany, then all the rest of Eastern Europe where for decades, inhuman, suppressive, murderous governments were glorified as the ideologically correct alternative to all other possibilities.

Appeasement crippled Europe when genocide ran rampant in Kosovo, and even though we had absolute proof of ongoing mass-murder, we Europeans debated and debated and debated, and were still debating when finally the Americans had to come from halfway around the world, into Europe yet again, and do our work for us.

Rather than protecting democracy in the Middle East, European appeasement, camouflaged behind the fuzzy word "equidistance," now countenances suicide bombings in Israel by fundamentalist Palestinians.

Appeasement generates a mentality that allows Europe to ignore nearly 500,000 victims of Saddam's torture and murder machinery and, motivated by the self-righteousness of the peace-movement, has the gall to issue bad grades to George Bush.. Even as it is uncovered that the loudest critics of the American action in Iraq made illicit billions, no, TENS of billions, in the corrupt U. N Oil-for-Food program.

And now we are faced with a particularly grotesque form of appeasement... How is Germany reacting to the escalating violence by Islamic fundamentalists in Holland and elsewhere? By suggesting that we really should have a "Muslim Holiday" in Germany.

I wish I were joking, but I am not. A substantial fraction of our (German) Government, and if the polls are to be believed, the German people, actually believe that creating an Official State "Muslim Holiday" will somehow spare us from the wrath of the fanatical Islamists.

One cannot help but recall Britain's Neville Chamberlain waving the laughable treaty signed by Adolf Hitler, and declaring European "Peace in our time".

What else has to happen before the European public and its political leadership get it? There is a sort of crusade underway, an especially perfidious crusade consisting of systematic attacks by fanatic Muslims, focused on civilians, directed against our free, open Western societies, and intent upon Western Civilization's utter destruction.

It is a conflict that will most likely last longer than any of the great military conflicts of the last century - a conflict conducted by an enemy that cannot be tamed by "tolerance" and "accommodation" but is actually spurred on by such gestures, which have proven to be, and will always be taken by the Islamists for signs of weakness.

Only two recent American Presidents had the courage needed for anti-appeasement: Reagan and Bush.

His American critics may quibble over the details, but we Europeans know the truth. We saw it first hand: Ronald Reagan ended the Cold War, freeing half of the German people from nearly 50 years of terror and virtual slavery. And Bush, supported only by the Social Democrat Blair, acting on moral conviction, recognized the danger in the Islamic War against democracy. His place in history will have to be evaluated after a number of years have passed.

In the meantime, Europe sits back with charismatic self-confidence in the multicultural corner, instead of defending liberal society's values and being an attractive center of power on the same playing field as the true great powers, America and China.

On the contrary - we Europeans present ourselves, in contrast to those "arrogant Americans", as the World Champions of "tolerance", which even (Germany's Interior Minister) Otto Schily justifiably criticizes. Why? Because we're so moral? I fear it's more because we're so materialistic, so devoid of a moral compass.

For his policies, Bush risks the fall of the dollar, huge amounts of additional national debt, and a massive and persistent burden on the American economy - because unlike almost all of Europe, Bush realizes what is at stake - literally everything.

While we criticize the "capitalistic robber barons" of America because they seem too sure of their priorities, we timidly defend our Social Welfare systems. Stay out of it! It could get expensive! We'd rather discuss reducing our 35-hour workweek or our dental coverage, or our 4 weeks of paid vacation... Or listen to TV pastors preach about the need to "reach out to terrorists. To understand and forgive".

These days, Europe reminds me of an old woman who, with shaking hands, frantically hides her last pieces of jewelry when she notices a robber breaking into a neighbor's house.

Appeasement? Europe, thy name is Cowardice.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I just marked the time. I am measuring how long it takes a few people on these boards to state that Matthias Dapfner is part of Bush's propaganda machine and on the US's payroll.

tick...tick....tick..

Good find btw

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Nice and interesting.
Europe, Thy Name Is Cowardice

Claim: Axel Springer CEO Mathias Döpfner wrote an editorial for Die Welt blasting Europe for its timidity in confronting Islamic fanaticism.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Well its about damn time!

Finally someone wlling to step up to the plate and tell thier european brethern how cowardly, and spineless they are being despite history's warnings.

Its nice to see some germans get it.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
You know whats funny? This post is hours and hours old as I type this and this is only the 4th reply (two from me).

But if this post was about the USA killing puppies and kittens with F22 Raptors it would have 350 replies already.

But since its content isnt anti-USA, its all but ignored. Just an interesting observation.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Bout Time Europeans get Europe back....

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Great article! I'm sure others in Europe feel the same way. Too bad they just don't get the press.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Maybe Europe is tired of war?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Well its about damn time!

Finally someone wlling to step up to the plate and tell thier european brethern how cowardly, and spineless they are being despite history's warnings.

Its nice to see some germans get it.

Got to give the guy credit for his stance.

But isnt Matthias Dapfner German? And wasent it the Germans who built concentration camps?

Just a thought

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
You know whats funny? This post is hours and hours old as I type this and this is only the 4th reply (two from me).

But if this post was about the USA killing puppies and kittens with F22 Raptors it would have 350 replies already.

But since its content isnt anti-USA, its all but ignored. Just an interesting observation.

Might be a good reason for that

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I reakon if any country was killing puppies with F22 raptors, it would provoke a reaction.

I know a lot of people knock the US, but i for one have never said anything against the US. Im not suggesting that anyone has accused me of it.

Time differance could be a factor right now too. Its 00.15 in the UK as i write this.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

It may also be that the majority of people who know what is right and what is wrong decide to ignore such posts instead of feeding a group of people that so desperately want to be seen as right.

Not to mention this part of the post:

Appeasement generates a mentality that allows Europe to ignore nearly 500,000 victims of Saddam's torture and murder machinery and, motivated by the self-righteousness of the peace-movement, has the gall to issue bad grades to George Bush.. Even as it is uncovered that the loudest critics of the American action in Iraq made illicit billions, no, TENS of billions, in the corrupt U. N Oil-for-Food program.

The 500,000 number in the post is completely unsubstanciated. Though it has been claimed numerous times, only a few thousand bodies have been found thus far and is absolutely reconcilable to the war between Iraq and Iran, not wanton slaughter of the Iraqi people by its own leader. Many torture and secret murder stories were found out to be just that, stories. Saddam's giant human blender machine never existed for one. I do not doubt that a several people suffered under Saddam's rule, but it appears that far more have suffered and died in the struggles made against the country from outsiders, not by the man who led it.

As far as the oil for food program goes. I like how its used as some sort of justification for invasion. If its worth killing innocent people over illicit money, then I have no leg to stand on morally. I submit to my corporate gods as their willing slave.

[edit on 1-3-2005 by Frith]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Perhaps because this is only an opinion piece?? I put quite a few opinion pieces on here and they never get past 10 replies.

Anyways he does raise interesting points however there is no justification and glory for reaching for the gun. No-one denies that Saddam Hussein was a bad person, what the issue IMO was that the moral and justified grounds for the invasion of Iraq were wrong and the Bush Administration used this and the war on terror as a platform for their neoconservative agenda instead of waiting for the inspectors to fully complete their job or actually have as their justification of the war as the use of democracy to stop the breeding of terrorism. or something like that. The Bush Administrations Unilaterist policies on the world stage are WRONG and I still hold this conviction to this day.

The 500,000 or so Australians on the streets of Sydney protesting the war against Iraq when I was there didn't accept any money from the UN. Look I don't care if some sleazy bastard in the UN or in some Australian corporation accepted some money, that ISNT me or the average Australian joe.

The majority of Australians didn't want to go to war, but our government betrayed the decision of our people. I wasn't against ousting Saddam, I was against the Bush Administrations reasons, distortions of the truth and the way they looked like they were going to handle it.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

But isnt Matthias Dapfner German? And wasent it the Germans who built concentration camps?

Huh?...surely you're not trying to make this leap. Are you?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Not at all. Just making a point from a paragraph quoted.

Appeasement cost millions of Jews and non-Jews their lives as England and France, allies at the time, negotiated and hesitated too long before they noticed that Hitler had to be fought, not bound to toothless agreements.

Appeasement
NOUN:

An act of appeasing.
The condition of being appeased.
The policy of granting concessions to potential enemies to maintain peace.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
So is this coweredace?

British soldiers work to secure a stronghold Thursday in Az Zubayr near Basra in southern Iraq.

Or what about this guy?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Ive written in several posts that the living world is very simply like a Roommate situation. When some dirty work around the house needs to be done, someone has to eventually stand up and do it. Its a dirty job, cost time, possibly money.....however it needs to be done. Some of those lazy roommates need to get up and pitch in to keep the place clean. I very much commend those that are doing their part, however its a big world with lots of problems and everyone needs to contribute.

Terrorist regimes & Terror extremists........are like a dirty gutter, that needs to be addressed. Our administrations don't always make the best decisions 100% of the time.........but its better than sitting on our butts and letting an already decades old problem get worse.

Carburetor

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
DevilWasp-

OBVIOUSLY, Britain is the exception. At least Tony Blair and the British Troops are. I don't know so much about half of their citizens, though. But keep using pictures of dead soldier's coffins to try and make your points. Maybe I should upload some pics of the puddles of blood and body parts of innocents in Iraq who were blown to pieces by a suicide bomber while at the market and in line for jobs.

That was truly a great commentary by a man with common sense and the courage to speak the truth in the face of overwhelming opposition and moral cowardice.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Yeah, and sometimes the room mate makes a big assed mistake and blames it on someone else.
Also might I add that the "problem" is made by the administration.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13

That was truly a great commentary by a man with common sense and the courage to speak the truth in the face of overwhelming opposition and moral cowardice.

And i also think a tad hypocritical too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join