It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shortest story ever written

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I woke early that morning. It was a cold winters day, and I know removing the covers would be torture.

"Just a few more minutes..." I thought, but the inevitability of being drenched in the cold air, convinced me to move and get it over with. I ripped the covers off, and stammered up. It was cold. The air felt like jagged ice piercing my flesh, but I knew it would soon pass.

I got dressed, a hefty trench coat and thick boots, faded denim jeans and a flannel shirt, and scanned the room for things I may have missed in my haste. nothing. "Ugh I hate mornings.."

Grabbing my duffel bag, I hesitantly headed towards the front door, it's cold wooden frame, reminded me of the day ahead. Bleak and barren. Frozen minds held within the frozen lives of those I'd be forced to interact with as all I could expect. A typical day, it was certain. I felt a pang of nausea.

The door shut behind me, and it was then that I noticed the snow. Unending before me. Each step was a pointless endeavour towards a futility that I knew I could not avoid. But I traipsed on, unconvinced by the voices in my head telling me to turn back. I wouldn't dare listen, one more day off I was surely fired.

Suddenly I heard it. That faint voice amidst the screaming silence. My SmugSung A.I. watch, which I had purchased from EBay on a whim, mainly for it's personalised hororscope readings. Sure it worked ok for everything else, but it was a little slow. The time kept well however, and today was no exception.

"Sir.", I heard.

"Sir." it spoke again.

"What is it, TwoBobs." I had given it the name TwoBobs, as a joke, as in, as good as a two bob watch. It was a SmugSung afterall.

"Sir..."

"Sir, it is Sunday. You don't work Sundays."

don't ask me to write a sequel... that's all about Monday..

Haha and I forgot the title requirement anyway, not like I'd expect even a chance, just a bit of fun..

edit on 7-3-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Very Good.....

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

I liked it , it makes me feel how a I feel about life , mondays, the weather
I liked the use of inanimate objects to add emphasis to the protagonists feelings.

are you ok ?

Just because I sense you dont like mornings hahah Im the same

and just making sure you personally are ok because sometimes art reflects life

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Once upon a time...... The end.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quadlink

It's like my self help book to life

Rule 1 : Dont be a #

FIN
edit on 7-3-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

The shortest, yet longest sentence ever written, "I do."

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Very Good.....

Cheers!!

I had meant it to be in the comp, but neglected the major rule of adding the prefix, then thought, nahh, just leave it.. let it be it's own thing..

so a small thing from a small mind it remains

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

I liked it , it makes me feel how a I feel about life , mondays, the weather
I liked the use of inanimate objects to add emphasis to the protagonists feelings.

are you ok ?

Just because I sense you dont like mornings hahah Im the same

and just making sure you personally are ok because sometimes art reflects life

Hey mate..
I'm ok.. I think. got so much going wrong physically, no time to think about it. But nothing on paper, yet

It's rare I get a critique of something I write. I'd do it more often and with more substance if the places I post, would be as kind. Thanks hey..

Haha mornings.. they are those dire parts of the day when you see the sun start to reveal that the night was only there to hold the days beer. I so love the earliest of earlies, when it's still dark, and you can listen to the world in peace. I am a night owl, though, so I am biased.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I had that in mind, haha, but I got lost in the attempt..

I am too verbose when I need to be concise. but then, why tell a tale, when you can wag one, a little longer.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

It's like my self help book to life

Rule 1 : Dont be a #

FIN

Words, or not words, to live by ! Going by the censorbots.. haha

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Cheers - Dave

Mine was rather short, well a long plane trip at least..
lol

She is happily married now, and.. well happy. all I could ask for.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Hi Gallo

well I hope those cold mornings and the ambient light bring you more joy and ease your physical pain!
or at least make it bearable !

I too love the wee early hours , I love a walk home after an after party , when everyone is snoozing and not even the postie is up yet and the cocks havent called morning ! the sun hasnt graced us with its womb like warmth!
Everything is super quiet and there is that weird light , like its filtered and the light itself somehow dulls out sounds
I guess its quiet enough to hear a cricket or leaves rustling or the trees wailing in the light breeze !
City living is ok but sometimes you need that wee bit quiet to hear nature

but more than that I love rain , the sound of rain in puddles, the sound of rain as cars drive over roads, the sound of rain as it hits my rain coat , the sound of it on a tin rood in a warm summer day
rain is my goto healing !

which is why I get incredibly home sick when on holiday for two weeks in the sun!
I miss the green valleys and the rain and the lochs of Scotland ! hahaha

I look forward to more of your writing

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

Cheers - Dave

lol

Happy lol. What is happy other than some neuro chemical response to a perceived observation that isn't even real anyway. There is only data.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Oh puddles !! Rain into them. Isn't it awesome.. I could listen to that sound all day. Or just rain in general, a soft cascade, it makes you realise, there is something larger. When it's too hard, I've gotta pull my webcam in, and the roof leaks. But a soft cadence, is wonderful !!

Cheers mate!!

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

Cheers - Dave

lol

Happy lol. What is happy other than some neuro chemical response to a perceived observation that isn't even real anyway. There is only data.

Cheers - Dave

This is the truth we all need to know. As bill bailey once said "Smile.. If you can't find anything to smile at, imagine something, then smile at it!"

well, SIC at least.. Cheers Dave..

AND.. yes, our understanding of the world, is merely a biological and chemical reaction to the stimuli that we experience on a moment to moment basis. Or as I like to call it, the bollocks of life.. Oo we are new every moment, ever so slightly, till in 10 years from now, we think "Crikey, I was never like that." but yeah, haha, we were... I just added some new cells pathways in your brain, changed you ever.. so.. slightly..

Sorry for that, didn't mean to. You won't even notice them, really. but every layer of paint that life renovates us with, is a new version of us.. and the shades change drastically, over time.. Anyway.. it all gets a bit sinister from there on out.. oO

So! Read any good books, lately?

edit on 7-3-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle
A better one "I am". The bigger one "vidi, vici, veni". Julius Caesar "I came, I saw, I conquered". The whole world in that statement.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
There can be an entire prison term in mine, for life lol

Cheers - Dave

top topics

join