It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Change AI2019

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Lyssa opened her eyes and stood, feeling the currents of energy slowly moving through her lithe body.

Something had Changed. What had Changed she did not know. She did know, however, what would come next.

There would be visitors again, first the brave but foolhardy lone trespasser. Then the pairs or trios, then the groups.

Lyssa sighed, rolling her shoulders and twisting her head. There was the satisfying “crack” of vertebrae settling into place. It had been a wonderful respite… spending quiet days with her pets in the lush valley she called home.

But battle was coming and she honestly enjoyed it. She was made for it.

Her right hand caressed the Dragon-boned handles of her twin blades. She had been given them when time began and they had proven themselves through thousands of battles. They were, as always, ready.

Her left hand she stretched out, feeling the magical currents coalesce in her palm. A purple glow engulfed her fingers, pulsing in time with her heartbeat. She clenched her fingers and extinguishied the light.

She was ready for what was to come.

Lyssa walked to the middle of her valley, the earth warming the soles of her bare feet. Energy emanated from the ground and was collected then stored in her body for later. She stopped, closed her eyes and waited.

The first one would come soon, as they always did after the Change.

Time slowed for Lyssa as she concentrated, allowing her consciousness to extend out into her valley. A spiders-web of awareness that would alert her to the presence of others.

It wasn’t long before the first invader appeared.

He was roughly dressed, with a helm she had never seen before. Long blonde hair framed a face that was almost too angular to be called handsome, but somehow he was. He clenched a long sword in his hands that looked to be the worse for wear. A tattered backpack was slung between his broad shoulders.

Lyssa allowed him to approach.

He was thirty feet away before he realized she was there. A look of shock, a battle cry and an awkward rush towards her was his welcome.

Her left hand raised, energy swirling into a vortex of power that became blinding.

She whispered the Word.

Soon after she pulled one of her knives from his chest, wiping it clean on his tattered vest while humming a dirge that she thought relevant to the occasion.

Putting it back in its place she walked back to the center of the clearing, closed her eyes and waited.

Lyssa allowed a grin to play across her face for a moment.

She always enjoyed the Change.

Chris closed the window on his monitor, took off his headphones and swiveled around to the others watching.

“Well, what do you think? Successful patch for Lyssa or what?”

Jamie started to speak, stopped and started again.

“Are you sure you haven’t buffed her too much? Her DPS is insane now and it’ll take a group of 4 at least to take her down. Doesn’t this just discourage the solo player?

His face reddening, Chris struggled to keep his composure.

“Lyssa is the biggest draw we have in that zone. Hell, we have more LFG’s to take her down than any other character in the game that isn’t a Boss. She at least needs a fighting chance!”

Chris threw up his hands and stood.

“If any one of you has a better idea, make a better character. I’m standing by my part of the patch. I’m tired and have put too many hours into this to argue about it. Have a good night!”

He left the cubicle so fast that a fan art poster of Lyssa waved in the air for a moment, a forlorn flag that drew their attention from Chris leaving for the elevators.

Jesse put his hand on Jamie’s shoulder, an attempt at showing solidarity.

“He’s kinda right and I think you are too. But remember, this is his favorite NPC.”

THE END

edit on 6-3-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   
*** I nominate Lumenari for "Writer" Status !!! ***

😊

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

That was a sweet read. Excellent Lumenari, excellent.

edit on 6-3-2019 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I wrote this on the back of an old report while I was sitting in my truck at work.

I didn't know about the "writer" status till YouSir got it and it got mentioned.

Then I came home, read stuff he wrote and threw it away.

Then I figured what the hell and posted it anyways.

I would like to write once I'm done working.

Thought I'd throw this out as a litmus test.

The best critics are on ATS.

edit on 6-3-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Thank you!

There is a lot of real talent here on ATS for short stories.

I've read a lot of them now and was scared to throw my hat in the ring but here we are.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: highvein

Thank you!

There is a lot of real talent here on ATS for short stories.

I've read a lot of them now and was scared to throw my hat in the ring but here we are.

Never be scared to try. There are some amazing writers on here that leave me flabbergasted when I read their work. You seem to have that quality. I hope to read more from you.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Excellent!

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 03:33 AM
link   
The short stories on ATS ....you never know where they are going only where they start. I liked your story so thanks for posting.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Excellent!

Why thank you!

I am behind the times, it seems... looking on E-Bay for a reconditioned Thena...

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
The short stories on ATS ....you never know where they are going only where they start. I liked your story so thanks for posting.

I'm glad you liked it.

As a child I always liked collections of short stories.

I have always admired an author that could build a whole world I could dream about in under 10 pages.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Loved your take on this theme!

You definitely have the writers gift with word craft. Look forward to seeing more of what rattles around your mind.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

Loved your take on this theme!

You definitely have the writers gift with word craft. Look forward to seeing more of what rattles around your mind.

What rattles around in my mind I don't think anyone wants to see...

But I clean it up for the public!

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   

looking on E-Bay for a reconditioned Thena...

She first got into a used 386 back in 1997.
That 386 had 720x 348 B/W graphics card, no sound card, and no internet connection.

I was writing a poem on Word Perfect 5.0, and got distracted, somehow the poem got finished.

Stenciled on the side of the monitor were the words Property of Psychology Dept.

I wonder what kinds of info were run through the system before the college upgraded to 486s and sold off there old equipment.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Wow, nice twist!

S & F

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Great read! You are exceptionally good framing the scene and conveying emotions without having to explicitly state what you want the reader to experience. Very good job.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

Great read! You are exceptionally good framing the scene and conveying emotions without having to explicitly state what you want the reader to experience. Very good job.

Thank you!

I've always liked authors that provide just enough information for your own imagination to take over.

HP Lovecraft comes to mind... he's a favorite of mine.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Great idea and executed really well. I didn't see it coming at all.

I want Lyssa to break out and go on a killing spree where all the noods hang out now

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Now you made me want to write that....

ETA... Damn you!

~starts writing a 'Weird Science" alternate ending with an elevator scene....~
edit on 23-3-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join