It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Intelligence...? AI2019

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Ummm...hello...here’s my submission...I hope you enjoy...

Artificial intelligence

Strange, this count of days, these long months bled into years. Each year gathered time like the spinning of some causal skein whose length tangled through each breath, through every exhalation of profundity.

Were they indeed profound, or merely found, as individual moment entangled it’s precursor with present tense where scarce consideration of uncounted precedent quivered it’s vanishing perspective.

What arrows then, shot those many sunsets that stretch their amorphous glow back to a beginning scarce remembered, an almost anonymous, half forgotten span of sequence that never considered consequence.

I’m standing one legged on the face of a man long dead.

My right foot shifts and slides on the back of another as I stretch and miss, then tensing, leap for the next finger and toehold. I catch both self and breath while I dangle there, my grip slipping as I frantically grab hold with my other hand and haul myself up. Ever up.

My knee is in the groin of someone.

I offer no apology to these dead people I clamber over, they had their turn, their day is done.
I know them all, most intimately. I’m the reason they’re stacked here, a mountain of men and women that I used and then discarded.

Have you ever considered the sheer monotony of years spent scaling humanity, of only adding to it’s expanse by a mad scramble up?

The summit is in sight, that pinnacle that seemed like an insurmountable obstacle when I first started. A last few shoulders to climb, a last few left to walk on and I’ve made it.
I take a deep shuddering breath, raise my hand on high give my head that practiced shake as I think of all those whose life’s and work I stole so that I could have this moment.

I glance down.

There beneath my heel, Milton, Virgil, Homer, Voltaire, Dickinson, and on and on and on as I both hear and feel the tassel as it lands on the other side and I shouting grab that symbol and fling it high.

YouSir
edit on 6-3-2019 by YouSir because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2019 by YouSir because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Dang it! I was going to do something along that line.

Crumple, Crumple.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Excellent, YouSir, most excellent.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Starred and flagged earlier. This was just wonderful!

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I enjoyed the scrabble...erm...scramble.

thank-you yousir.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Ummm...why do you think I quick wrote this and posted it...all in a flash...

Early bird baby...early bird...

I would still love to read and absorb into my DNA your contribution...

Just because I prestidigitationally...voila...as if by magic...precognitively read your intent and leapt back in time twenty minutes to beat you to the press...doesn’t make your thought train any less valid...

...here...I’ve got some Newcastle nut brown ale chilling...just for occasions such as this...

So drink up butter cup...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Ummm...your quite welcome good sir...

I was sitting in the rotunda at the library with the life size marble statue of a naked lady for company as I wrote this...

I’d been wanting to write this story since yesterday when I saw the contest challenge was about AI...so there I was sitting there in my most favorite of places and just happened to have my tablet with me so I thought...why not now...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Ummm...thank you my friend...I’m glad you enjoyed it...

Seeing as you picked the subject...I wanted to give it just the right twist...

I hope it came across twisted enough for you...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: fakedirt

Ummm...ha...ha...ha...those first three paragraphs were a scrabble salad...

I must confess that the theme seems to ring true...for those that have paid handsomely...
to institutionalize themselves...

At least in my observations

YouSir

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Okay you got some mindreading power.

I said to my self, I said "Should I mention the early bird or let him mention it? hmmm!"

And there we have it!

I've got a Spire Mountain Sparkling Pear right now, but I'll definitely look for Newcastle nut brown ale next time I'm at the store.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Nice read! Good take on AI.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Ummm...thank you my friend, I was attempting to illustrate that elitism in academia is foundational on the backs of those it uses as instructional fodder...that none of them present attained imagined stature under their own power...they merely rode the coattails of everyone that had preceded them...

Further...I wanted to consider how such intellectualism was merely lifted from the work of persons long dead...

Artifice intelligence if you will...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 05:42 AM
link   
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton, feels right for this story.

Good work!
S & F

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSirThat was sublime!

Would have been better if you hadn't started it with umm... Hell of a well written piece. Deserves a beer.

new topics

top topics

join