It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you like your avocado toast?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I'm still hung up on the "vegan ham" thing.

I mean, think about it...

If you're a vegan...why would you want to call something "ham"??

If you're not a vegan...why would you want to eat something which is called "ham", but isn't ham.

It's kind of like saying...I love me some vegan puppy sausages and vegan pickled kittens feet.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

So what would you call it then?

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Yeah I like to have it like this as well. Sometimes simple is better.
I also like to put a couple of scrambled egg whites on it for protein.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Okay first let me say for the record that this post is NOT vegan related. I am not going down that road again LOL!

To answer your question, yes, I do it for personal ethical reasons and it aligns with my personal values. Nothing to do with anything or anyone else. However, as a nutritionist I agree that a lot of the vegan replacement products are total garbage! Way too many bad ingredients and overly processed. I always caution my clients away from that stuff. There are a few products/brands on the market that have great health benefits with good ingredients too. Just have to find them.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

OMG SO expensive right? The more popular they get the more expensive they'll become too

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Here's a good one for you avocado and bacon/egg lovers -

Take a whole avocado, cut in half, remove pit.
Put a whole hard-boiled egg in the center and put avocado back together.
Wrap up the whole thing with bacon - go around and around in all directions until completely covered - secure with a couple of toothpicks.
Fry it in a pan using olive oil until the bacon is brown and crisp.
Salt & pepper -
EAT!

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl

I get the point.

When you go vegan, most do it for ethical reasons as much as anything. The whole "I can't bear the thought of exploiting animals" type route. And you can't get much more exploitative than ham if that's your hangup.

So why market a vegan product and call it ham? What's the point? EIther vegans are trying to lure in converts by saying we can have everything you do only better! Or vegans miss what they don't have. Otherwise, they'd call it something else and be proud of their differences.

This also applies to nearly every other vegan product that labels itself as a "replacement" for what it's not, like vegan cheese or tofurkey. Just own it. You don't eat those things anymore and stop mimicking the rest of the food world already, vegans.

(you in this post was generalized and not targeted)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So why market a vegan product and call it ham? What's the point? EIther vegans are trying to lure in converts by saying we can have everything you do only better! Or vegans miss what they don't have. Otherwise, they'd call it something else and be proud of their differences.

While I understand your point, why market it as the antithesis to the cause... It's an easy way to let someone know what texture to expect and appropriate applications.

Ham is very distinct, so is cheese. It would be pretty tricky to market those items otherwise.

Cheese for example, what else could vegan cheese be marketed as? Vegan melty savory substance? I know if we really put our minds to it we could think of something, vegan melt topping, or come up with a new term... But then it creates a learning curve for people transitioning over or trying new things.
edit on 7-3-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: ketsuko

While I understand your point, why market it as the antithesis to the cause... It's an easy way to let someone know what texture to expect and appropriate applications.

Ham is very distinct, so is cheese. It would be pretty tricky to market those items otherwise.

Cheese for example, what else could vegan cheese be marketed as? Vegan melty savory substance? I know if we really put our minds to it we could think of something, vegan melt topping, or come up with a new term... But then it creates a learning curve for people transitioning over or trying new things.

This. All of this.
And I understand what you're saying as well but if that's the case, we're going to have to take inventory of a lot of products and start changing some names. Anything that's an alternative to the norm like butter spread shouldn't be called butter, because it's not. Many brands of cheese aren't actually cheese. A lot of sugar free gum would have to take out the word "cinnamon" or "spearmint" because the flavor is caused by chemicals in the product. Velveeta cheese is made with whey protein concentrate and milk protein – meaning that it is not technically cheese... the list is going to get quite long. This is why I recommend whole foods with one ingredient. Like an apple, or spinach

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl

Y'all got tofurkey for fake, nasty turkey. Fam would work just as well.

And there's veggie/meatless patties (veggie burgers) and veggie/meatless crumbles. Those I actually do like, but as is pointed out, the imitation meats are highly processed & are NOT healthier by any means (sometimes far worse than regular flesh) I don't eat them because I'm so misguided as to think they're healthy or I have ethical concerns (I have none) I occasionally eat them because I like the flavor & texture of them, they generally taste pretty good. You could fool most chicken fans with seitan, for example. The biggest roadblock to these being more prevalent in diets is cost -- imitation stuff gets expensive fast.

Imitation beef and imitation chicken seems to be the only things on the market that can be made to have any semblance of tasting like the real thing. I've had tofurkey thanks to my brother's best bud's ex hauling it to Thanksgiving dinner once. It was so disgusting that there's not enough expletives in all the languages on the planet to describe just how god awful it truly was.

The vegan cream cheeses are spot on, I'll give those that much. Not a meat, but one of the best fakes out there for vegan things. My husband has dairy allergy and when we've made things requiring a little cream cheese, that stuff's always worked as good as & tasted as good as the real thing. Damn expensive stuff by comparison, though, wowza.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

Velveeta is Velveeta. I don't call it cheese, FYI.

But the thing is, the vegan stuff (cheese) doesn't even really look like cheese anymore than Velveeta or Kraft singles do in its own way. It looks kind of stiff and wooden, less flexible than regular cheese, and I have my doubts as to its actual ability to melt.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

Ewwww carbs

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah
Again, agree. If people are trying to go plant based for their health, they should def avoid all of the replacements, or most of them entirely! Although they've come a long way. I find Gardein products to be pretty quality, but expensive, I am hooked on the vegan cream cheese as well, the one made with coconut oil. It tastes better and is far better for you

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: WhyDidIJoin
OMG I love carbs! And eat as many as I possibly can

link   

link   

link   

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
that must be why you can't see the truth? (since we're on a conspiracy website and all)

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I cheat, and use fresh guacamole from the deli.
Frankly, I eat it by the spoonful with nothing else.
But I like it on toasted bread, or warmed tortillas, or eggs, or crackers, some types of fish (mild white fish).
Mixed with albacore tuna, other things. etc.....

But Toast, guacamole, and albacore tuna...yes..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join