It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Issuing a challenge to conservative's

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Let me point out the irony of this whole OP being one big platitude. While telling others not to use platitudes. I slow clap this post

If and FDR quote is a ‘fact’ shouldn’t anyone else’s quote also be a fact?

Facts are most people getting minimum wage are young. They are mainly not the main bread earner in the family.

They also get tips. When tips are added in, pay increases significantly. Especially since most tipped employees don’t report their tips to the governement. Greedily, they don’t want to pay their fair share.

Not platitudes just common sense. If you are making $17 an hour, most people would take that. Think they are doing ok. If you jump minimum wage up to $15 an hour. The people making $17 just became poor. That makes your $17 an hour feel more like $8 per hour, because you only would have 13% greater of purchasing power over minimum wage. Instead of having 40% greater purchasing power.

Used 7 for minimum wage and rounded numbers off.

www.bls.gov...

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I'm no economist.

But Thomas Sowell is.

www.creators.com...

An interesting article that may be of interest.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Please demonstrate where people are working full time (40+ hours a week), are the head of a household, and only making minimum wage, and don't also get regular tips/gratuities that boost their hourly wage well above min wage.

The argument that min wage needs to be a "living wage" is a straw-man argument. It's part time jobs, mostly done by teenagers or college students, that require little to no job skills or training.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

If you are working full-time at minimum wage and the bread earner, you shouldn't be at minimum wage for long if you are any good as a worker. Even when I worked minimum wage in high school, I never stayed at strict minimum wage for long because I was good at what I did.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

sure whatever, let me know when you make an actual post

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I'm no economist.

But Thomas Sowell is.

www.creators.com...

An interesting article that may be of interest.

ahhh cool going to read that out when I get home

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
The other thing most don't think of is that many union contracts are set according to minimum wage rates. Raise the minimum wage drastically, and you've just given many union workers a drastic wage hike too. That does nothing to remove the minimum wage workers from the bottom of the wage pile because prices across the board will rise to compensate for the new rates of labor ... that and things will go out of business and people will get fired or just not hired.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

They also get tips. When tips are added in, pay increases significantly. Especially since most tipped employees don’t report their tips to the governement. Greedily, they don’t want to pay their fair share.

Great idea, run a society on tips and unknowns! Why not just add in the illegal economy to boot and have a right nasty little cocktail of devolvement?

We can't run a modern economy on tips, lol!

These attitudes are from the greed element. Hell, we can let them live on tips! That is as bad to me as saying let them eat cake, truly.

The minimum wage has had to be put in place because business was not living up to its responsibility and providing workers with a wage that allows them to participate in the society they are supposed to be citizens of. They were cheapskating the worker so badly, almost turning them into slaves.

In the UK, look what has happened,

The Low Pay Commission estimates that there were 1.9 million jobs paid at or below the NMW in April 2017, around 6.7% of all employee jobs. This compares to 1.5 million jobs paid at or below the NMW in 2015, before the introduction of the National Living Wage. The coverage of the NMW is expected to increase to around 3.4 million employees by 2020 as the National Living Wage moves towards its 2020 target.

So the minimum wage is forcing upon business minimum standards which needed forcing on it because it was taking advantage too much, exploiting people too much.

However, it is set so low that even two people with combined incomes can't afford a house. The minimum wage is too minimal for the property market to accomodate. It creates poverty at the same time as trying to tackle it. It is a case of extreme hyper inflation that is being treated like a market money spinner.

We are out of balance. The minimum wage should not sentence workers to a whole life of being at the mercy of private landlords with never a stable home. You can never have a settled life like that. You will have to move neighbourhoods at the whim of your landlord's plans for their property. I have lived a whole life like this. I know what it is like. No home like this can ever feel like home.

Seriously, I am on the war path and millions like me until this improves. I am putting a spanner in the works 24/7 I assure you until this stops being so greedy and making so many homeless people. That is my choice related to globalisation and the hell it is making of my life.

I don't care whether the government take care of it or whether it is a business. Somebody needs to do something or our societies will become the hell holes they once were.

The Free Market is not improving my life. It is destroying it. Globalism has destroyed me. Tony Blair wrote that Globalisation is a FACT and not a CHOICE. Those guys gave me no choice when they thrust this fact upon me without it being optional. He is right in that respect, but I will make a choice out of that fact yet. It is a choice to me, Tony, be assured of that. You can't force me into your ideology, you scheming dictating liberal. Globalisation is forced on us when it is an ideology. It is a political ideology, Tony - not a fact of nature. I'll show you just how much of an ideology it is and what a short shelf life it has.

edit on 1-3-2019 by Malak777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Why can't you just live within your means? Minimum wage jobs were designed for high school and college kids that still live at home. Your argument is as lazy as the people who think a job will come to them someday so they sit and wait for it because they're too lazy to go find one. Then when they finally get a job, they cry about what they're making.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Malak777

There are not that many jobs that are tip based in the economy. Nice try.

Waitressing is one, but again, that's not a career intended job. It's one most people do as a supplement or as an entry level, I'm learning the ropes of work type job. It used to be a high school/college type thing.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Why can't you just live within your means? Minimum wage jobs were designed for high school and college kids that still live at home. Your argument is as lazy as the people who think a job will come to them someday so they sit and wait for it because they're too lazy to go find one. Then when they finally get a job, they cry about what they're making.

No, they were not designed for any other reason than hiring labour as cheap as you could. There are many millions of adults having to live their lives on the minimum wage. I know of many in the UK. They are not losers. They are hard working people doing vital jobs in the economy and society. Is that how lowly you look down on these people? They do this because there is no choice as the market has totally capitalized on the minimum wage and zero contract hours. It suits buiness, but makes poverty out of millions of people, the usual victims of the usual monsters.

Globalisation has been a monster. It make some rich, but most poor. Its days are numbered.

edit on 1-3-2019 by Malak777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
What the hell is this?

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Sounds like a UK problem. The minimum wage jobs here in the US are pretty much all in the service industry (Cashiers, McDonalds, etc.). I'd bet most of them are still above the minimum wage though. If you learn a skill, you won't be on minimum wage. Pretty simple stuff.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
What do you consider a living wage ?
Actually asking to make a point.

Probably something stupid like $70,000 a year. But then we could all splurge on the $100.00 menu at McDonalds because people don't understand that if minimum wage goes up, the cost of products do too.

The problem with "living wages" isn't what we're paid, it's what we're being charged by the greedier businesses. Why aren't we paying $1.10 a gallon for gas or diesel? Why is a gallon of milk $5.00? Why is hamburger meat $5.00 a pound? Why are all the necessities expensive when they don't have to be? If you get a combo meal from a fast food place, you're gonna pay around $7.00 even though the cost of what you're really getting MIGHT be close to a dollar or a dollar and a half. That bag of chips bought at the grocery store for $4.00 was part of an item bought in bulk from a factory that only used about 50¢ to make.

Minimum wage isn't the problem here, mark-up is. But you'll never get those people on the left to see it. They'd rather just make more money because there's no looking ahead at what would happen then. And minimum wage, even at $50.00 an hour, would still be just enough to buy what you buy with today's minimum wage once everyone adjusts their prices.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Adjusted for inflation, .25 cents in 1938 is 4.35$ today.

Minimum wage has done pretty well then. Its double that.

Exactly. The problem isn't what we make, it's what we're charged.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
8X the minimum wage here in Indiana is $120,640/year. That is enough to buy a decent home in a decent area here.

I have no idea what it should be I have no clue I'm not even saying it's a good idea I'm asking for a real analysis of pre and post using factual data and not just Fox News talking points

I've literally never seen anyone do it

What's the point of bringing Fox News up?

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

you are obviously wrong did you not read what FDR actually wrote himself in the OP?

how can you blatantly lie like that?

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

When it comes to gas, you're looking less at the markup and more at the taxes there. So that's government markup more than anything else.

As far as hamburger and other food items, sometimes, if you learn how to make your own potato chips, you can avoid the manufacturing markup, but that involves learning to do your own cooking. It's time consuming even though the end result is healthier. As far as hamburger, beef is expensive. There's no way around that. So you learn how to eat within your means which means you maybe don't eat beef but eat more chicken and pork.

Eating can be done pretty economically though.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I don't understand the "minimum wage times x-amount to purchase a home" argument. I can finance a $250,000.00 home with a $65K annual salary. I can get in an upscale gated community at that price. With minimum wage, I shouldn't be at the point of needing my own home yet. I should still be in college and sharing a monthly rent with a few of my friends, or still living at home like it was designed for. You aren't supposed to make enough for a house with minimum wage, it's designed to get you by until you get promoted and/or a higher paying job due to work experience.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

In the UK, look what has happened,

The US is not the UK
Next

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join