It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cory Booker introduces bill to legalize marijuana nationwide

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

conference for political progressives in New Orleans, Louisiana, August 3, 2018.
Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., introduced a bill on Thursday to legalize marijuana nationwide as he mounts his presidential campaign.

Co-sponsors of the bill, known as the Marijuana Justice Act, include fellow 2020 Democratic contenders Sens. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Kamala Harris of California and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York. Booker first introduced the bill in 2017, but it was not taken up for a vote.

The bill comes as increasing numbers of states are legalizing marijuana on the local level and public opinion has shifted in favor of legalization.

Source

Is this going to finally be the one that makes it through? My gut tells me no but with each one of these bills that gets proposed we get closer while politicians like McConnell look more and more out of touch.

I predict that if this law or one like it does not get passed before 2020 then legalization will be a major party platform for the Dems.

Legalization is a two-edged sword. Here in Canada they used the legalization of Cannabis to take away our rights.

Since Legalization:

- passed laws that allow them to stop us while driving and swab our mouths without any Probable Cause at all. Also, without ANY conclusive scientific test for indicating impairment.
- created fines for almost every conceivable infraction related to Cannabis (improper storage, wrong container, etc)
- now able to confiscate vehicles and cash due to infractions related to growing, etc.

ETA: The Government also made CBD to be classed the same as THC, so now you can only get it from the Government (Used to be in pharmacies, even before legalization).

It just got legalized in Canada and already they have put the hammer down. More to come, I'm sure.

That is what happens .
It is called regulation .
Regulation = Revenue = Taxes or Fines = Stealing from the people to put in their back pockets.
That is what is happening both within the States that have legalized and vaping

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

Just curious, are you reading the expunging of criminal conviction for possession to mean that folks in prison for MJ related crimes will be let free "immediately" (or soon after it passes), or just that it will be expunged from their criminal records?

It looks like anyone currently incarcerated is to be set free with an additional provision that the state in question could then be sued if it can be shown by the defendant that they were subject to "disporportionate arrest."

I'm not too sure I agree with that segment, as long as there weren't any other mitigating factors involved and the arrest was on the up and up.

(c) Expungement of marijuana offense convictions.—Each Federal court shall issue an order expunging each conviction for a marijuana use or possession offense entered by the court before the date of enactment of this Act.

(d) Sentencing review.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—For any individual who was sentenced to a term of imprisonment for a Federal criminal offense involving marijuana before the date of enactment of this Act and is still serving such term of imprisonment, the court that imposed the sentence, shall, on motion of the individual, the Director of the Bureau of Prisons, the attorney for the Government, or the court, conduct a sentencing hearing.

(2) POTENTIAL REDUCED RESENTENCING.—After a sentencing hearing under paragraph (1), a court may impose a sentence on the individual as if this Act, and the amendments made by this Act, were in effect at the time the offense was committed.

(e) Right of action.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—An individual who is aggrieved by a disproportionate arrest rate or a disproportionate incarceration rate of a State may bring a civil action in an appropriate district court of the United States.

(2) RELIEF.—In a civil action brought under this subsection in which the plaintiff prevails, the court shall—

(A) grant all necessary equitable and legal relief, including declaratory relief; and

(B) issue an order requiring the Attorney General, acting through the Director of the Bureau of Justice Assistance, to—

(i) declare the State to be ineligible to receive any Federal funds for the construction or staffing of a prison or jail in accordance with subsection (b)(1)(A); and

(ii) reduce grant funding of the State in accordance with subsection (b)(1)(B).

Now, this does stipulate that it speaks to Federal convictions in regards to relief available to defendants, so misdemeanor convictions would not fall under this section. At least to my untrained understanding of the bill.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Honestly, with sessions gone, trump may sign it. And I will respect him even more. And will love watching liberal heads explode.

Now excuse me, I am going to burn one down.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
Honestly, with sessions gone, trump may sign it. And I will respect him even more. And will love watching liberal heads explode.

Now excuse me, I am going to burn one down.

Why would their heads explode, if they get something that they want? 69% of D's say it should be legal, and 75% of Independents that lean left want it legalized.
www.pewresearch.org...

I get that you want to put in a zinger on liberals, but heads aren't going to explode. Regardless of who passes this bill, the reaction is going to be "about time", followed by a lot of big parties.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I wonder whose shooting down these marijuana Bill's? Old Republicans and pharma shills?

Hopefully we can legalize mushrooms next.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
This should be something everybody can get behind....but think it will be stalled cause both sides just like fighting with each other until another election cycle comes around and they will use it as a vote for me issue. It's definitely a lose issue for the Republicans they ought to let go through, this isn't something to battle over.

President Trump is for it. This bill will pass Congress before Gun Confiscation does.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I cant stand just about every other thing this guy does, but credit where it is due. Am 100% in agreement with him on this.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
I wonder whose shooting down these marijuana Bill's? Old Republicans and pharma shills?

Preach. Psilocybin has a TON of medical potential as well. I'm all for it.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I'll have to ask our underwriters if smoking weed makes one a "smoker", for health/life insurance premium purposes.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I'll have to ask our underwriters if smoking weed makes one a "smoker", for health/life insurance premium purposes.

Just like psycadellics too! We are now only begining to learn about the benefits of psycadellics. Get rid of the stigma the powers that be have put on them, and look into how they have helped people.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Scrub it for anti gun crap and other things that dont belong. Otherwise, I'm all for it. It needs to be a clean bill otherwise it will not get bipartisan support.
edit on 28 2 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

If I'm not mistaken, any legislation introduced is pointless until the schedule 1 status of marijuana is changed.

It's absolutely insane to me that meth and co.caine are schedule 2, yet mj remains schedule 1

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Cory Booker remindes me of Emmanuel Macron...

Another vain attempt by a democrat globalist to appeal to the masses.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

If you have a medical marijuana card, either visible or known about by the licensed gun dealer, you will fail the background check paperwork and/or the sale will be refused due to the drug use question.

If marijuana is legal for all, then that question must be stricken or the licensed gun dealer might assume you partake under observation criteria and refuse the sale.

Legalization might be used as a backdoor defacto gun ban in that regard.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

This is exactly why I want legalization to be a clean bill. Removal from schedule 1 status and full legalization would remove the legal basis for a ban from gun owners. The following court cases would be slam dunks.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Republicans should beat them to the punch and then what will they have to run on? It's a good idea and they are just doing it for points. So why not take one of their own strong points away from them.
They still don't want a safe border and ok with late term abortion, and neither of those ideas is going to do them any good.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Just what we need, more complacent potheads.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   
As a true Libertarian version of Liberal I have stated many times, we all should be judged by society only on what we do harmful to others. Easy to agree on non violence and it should be easy to agree what you do is your business if no one is getting hurt by you.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticallyI

I take it you either don't know a lot of responsible adults who partake, or the ones you do know aren't responsible about it. Much like anything, there are people who are going to take it to far. Personally I'd much rather be around a few folks who have gotten high and sit around watching movies and eating versus a few drunk folks who are acting completely foolish and partaking in more risky behavior (driving for example).

I would agree with the others that it needs to be removed from the weapons background check if legalized completely, or even medically for that matter.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticallyI
Just what we need, more complacent potheads.

If you are going to use scarcasm, it's best to have a foundation in facts. Like this one....

www.alcohol.org...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join