It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have to find some middle ground if we want to move forward

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I propose we all demand whoever we vote for to try and end needless wars, and not seek future ones.

I agree with that.

However, it's hard to find "middle ground" when some ideologies hold precious something that they perceive, correctly or incorrectly, the other as trying to take away or limit. That precious thing can be a constitutional right, a human right, or an equal right, whether the 2nd Amendment, gay marriage, voting rights, discrimination, etc that others might want to restrict when it doesn't directly affect them.

Hence the difficulty on finding middle ground on some issues.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:42 PM
link   
It would be great... but it will never happen. Even if another great tragedy (God forbid)were to hit this country it’ll be trumps fault or it’ll be the lefts fault. Not sure coming back to the middle is in the cards.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Themaskedbeast
Well if you remember around 9/11/2001-2008 we were all basically United because of the tragedy in new York we will never forget. Apparently some people forgot because you have certain members of Congress who are more worried about feelings than fact and swearing in on a Koran. Not sure the two sides can come back to center or middle if you prefer.

It was President Obama who created all the anger and division in America. Before his Presidency people were still getting along. He was the divider in chief.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Before his Presidency people were still getting along.

Riiiiiggggght.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Well if you remember around 9/11/2001-2008 we were all basically United because of the tragedy in new York we will never forget. Apparently some people forgot because you have certain members of Congress who are more worried about feelings than fact and swearing in on a Koran. Not sure the two sides can come back to center or middle if you prefer.

It was President Obama who created all the anger and division in America. Before his Presidency people were still getting along. He was the divider in chief.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

It comes down to a little bit more of understanding and a little less finger pointing. Will that happen on an internet forum? Probably not. Will it happen where there are posters with very transparent agendas? Probably not.

Where it can happen is in neighborhoods, social gatherings, and other get-togethers.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Yep. I talked to numerous people that know me because I normally help out, but took a break last night.

The political comments were about half and half. I am a Centrist. I didn't vote for Trump but I don't hate him, and I don't engage in conversations about him with the general public.

I listen to what others have to say. I don't try to argue with them, or change their mind. I overheard a couple of conversations where folk respectfully agreed to disagree. Believe it or not, people can actually still have those kind of conversations in the real world.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Nothing brings folks together like tacos.

I must eat them in solitude these days or risk calls of cultural appropriation.

I like to grab-em-by-the-taco.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I've found plenty of that peaceful middle ground.

I no longer watch any television that contains advertising. I serve my own content via Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Go... no insurance, pharmaceutical, cellular, or political ads EVER go into my brain.

I no longer keep up with any "news". The 24/7 news cycle is an awful thing, and nothing of much direct importance ever really happens. If a nuke is dropped somewhere... I'll know about it... but whatever dumb sh!t Celebrity A or Politician B did, I don't hear about it, and I don't care.

I pay all my bills on time, as well as my taxes, and live modestly with the comfort of having money in the bank.

I keep a close circle of friends. Like maybe 3 or 4 people tops.

I mind my own business and am thankful to live in America, where I'm free to go online and bitch about how terrible it is if need be.

I'm happier because of it, and I realized this mean spirited, delusional, godless, chaotic world is merely a figment of peoples imagination. They all believe it exists and keep feeding themselves those ideas... so guess what... thats the world they live in.

The world is what you make of it. Don't be a slave to system. Don't be a fearful little sheep. Go your own way.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Metallicus

Before his Presidency people were still getting along.

Riiiiiggggght.

He's right. Things weren't always like this until 9/11 when people started hating Bush and blaming him for the death of their kids in the Middle Least, then when democrats took full control of the house in 2007, it took a really nasty turn and has gotten worse by the day since then.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I thought it was Nixon and those hippies, with their stinkin freedom of expression and individuality and that peace and love BS.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I think one of the main issues is that the divide that has been injected is focused on stuff that one side feels is (or should be) immutable.

There isn't a middle ground there.

In order to frame the "debate" in a way where a compromise and middle ground can even exist, there needs to be some sort of foundation. As it stands.. even that foundation is at odds.

How does one go about create an environment where a middle ground is even possible without changing the very foundation of their stances?

I think the key is in shaping the internet and media, since I do suspect that the percentage of the population that doesn't lie at an extreme is greater than those that do.

But, as long as things are framed the way they are, it "forces" many to take sides in a conflict where compromise can not exist (by design).

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I don't think the issue is left, right, centrist or anarcho.

I think the issue and the problem is ego and I do not think problems with lust for power, greed, conflict or hate will go away until ego has been dealt with and humanity has moved on to wherever comes after the supremacy of the ego.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Yep. I think any reasonable person would agree that system is out of control. How about instead of spending an average of 40k per head to lock up non-violent offenders, we redirect that money to more productive efforts.

Nursing facilities
Healthcare
Renewable energy
Small business startups.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

See? The problem is that no one wants their name on the nitty gritty things necessary for this to happen. Look where I live. We need a new sewer system in this city ... badly. Parts of the city smell like they have open sewers when you drive through it.

One of our last mayors got elected running a campaign out of trailer on a shoestring because he promised explicitly to redo the sewer system, and since he wasn't on the "in" kids, the rest of the politicians and the press did to him what we see happening to Trump. Nothing got done, and the next mayor deep-sixed the sewer in favor of a hella expensive street car system with limited range that got voted down by the city three times, needed a special election with shenanigans to get approved and cost way too much for what it is.

Oh, and we're getting airport now too.

Still no new sewer system though.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Carcharadon

There is no middle ground to be had at this point. This is all a formality, the lines are being drawn and sides chosen.

That's what the minority of the country who barks the loudest would have you believe IMO.

I'm a moderate, but that doesn't mean I won't take a side with the same conviction as someone who's been on a side.... I just won't do it for fickle reasons.

Many see the destruction with a rebuild as a last resort... Not a solution.

I'm not advocating for it or wishing for it, but it's coming. And picking up speed every day. The signs are everywhere around us.

As for the minority part that's all it usually takes to kick things off.

How many Nazis did it take to turn Germany?

How many Communists did it take to subvert Russia?

And so on and so forth.

Those 2 movements along with countless others all started as very small, very vocal organizations. The argument that "oh its just a small and loud group that is irrelevant" disregards the innumerable historical examples that are out there.

Obviously j hope I'm wrong but things are getting bad. People getting assaulted, attacked, denied services and goods solely on the basis of political preference is very alarming.

There is tons of historical examples that will show this exact same thing happening and what almost always follows it.

It's going to get much, much worse in the next few years. To deny that I'd to deny reality and history. Two things that people should never do.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   

" We have to find some middle ground if we want to move forward "

That is just a lot of Political B.S. there . Are you in Office ? Hmm...Figures .

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

That is just a lot of Political B.S. there . Are you in Office ? Hmm...Figures .

You're entitled to your opinion, but why don't you share it?

You chimed in just to say "I disagree", but not why.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Carcharadon

Thanks for expanding on that, sorry I read your intentions wrong.

I think many would agree with you, and at one time I would have too.

I think another one of the big problems we have is only 50% of people vote in our biggest elections. So not all of that number isn't political activists....they just vote.

I don't think there are as many diehards as we're lead to believe.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Not going to happen as long as we keep voting in Republicans and Democrats, there is no reason for them to change and do things for the good of the nation if they can continue doing nothing of substance and keep their power.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join