It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did CNN Stack the Audience Against Bernie Sanders at His Town Hall?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Monday night, Bernie Sanders did a town hall on CNN, and for the most part, he was asked substantive questions and answered in kind. One minor exception came in a question about the sexual harassment that took place in his 2016 campaign.

Okay, that seems fair, this was a news story that ran a few months ago, and should be answered.

The bigger problem here is that we find ourselves in a confusing situation thanks to cable news not adhering to basic standards of journalism. (Unfortunately, that’s an evergreen sentence.) When I watched the town hall live last night, this question seemed completely normal and well within the bounds of what Bernie was brought there to talk about, but now that it has been revealed that the question was asked by an intern at a major lobbying firm, you cannot help but wonder about the intent behind this, as well as CNN’s role in selecting this questioner while not disclosing her workplace.

That doesn't much surprise me, CNN has in the past been shown to give a little boost to their favorite. But one person not being described accurately isn't the end of the world.

If it was just this one questioner, we could chalk it up to a mistake, or an acknowledgement that CNN reasonably didn't believe that an intern needed to disclose her workplace. But this wasn't just one questioner. There were a bunch of audience members who are far more active in politics than CNN disclosed. Watching the town hall live made it seem as if these were just folks from all walks of life, when in reality many of these supposedly innocuous questioners were political operatives in one way or another, as this thread revealed.

— CNN called Tara Ebersole a “former biology professor” when her LinkedIn page lists her current job description as “Chair, Baltimore County Democratic Party” since 2016. Further, her husband was part of Hillary Clinton's leadership council in Baltimore in 2016.

— Abena McAllister was labeled “an active Democrat,” which is far less descriptive than the Charles County Democratic Central Committee's description of her as their Chair.

-Yunjung Seo was simply called a “George Washington Student” by CNN, despite her LinkedIn page saying she also works for the Katz Watson Group, a fundraising and consulting outlet.

— Michelle Gregory was simply listed as a “Maryland voter” by CNN, but a cursory Google search reveals her to be much more active in politics than just voting.
Paste Magazine

So it looks like they are already priming the machine to give Bernie the shaft.

Listen, I kinda like him as a person, but disagree with much of his policy.

But last cycle, voters showed in large force they wanted candidates the establishment side of both parties couldn't offer. Both sides were rooting for outsiders, or at least self proclaimed outsiders.

The system is supposed to allow voters to decide the candidates, yet we have seen (on both sides) push back and unethical decisions at best, or election meddling at worse.

These shots across the bow should show to everyone just how far the establishment politicians will go to make sure the people don't go against the donors who run Washington. Even worse, the same corporations who own these media outlets are willing to use whatever they can at their disposal as ammunition.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
As I've said many times before, anyone who considers CNN a legitimate news source is too far gone to be reasoned with.
Their brain is beyond resuscitation.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I personally believe the DNC blew the election by shafting Bernie last time.

My question would be this time - who is their picture perfect?

This goes against the narrative that Democrats are fighting an anyone but Trump battle.
edit on 27-2-2019 by headorheart because: spelling

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I'm not a fan of CNN, but I also don't single them out.

Any corporate media is garbage (to our standards), because they have to answer to execs and advertisers.

They are all just as bad, it just depends on who gets caught on what week do we point a finger at one more than the other.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: headorheart
I personally believe the DNC blew the election but shafting Bernie last time.

This goes against the narrative that Democrats are fighting an anyone by Trump battle.

I heard the Clinton crowd went to Kamala Harris. So Kamala Harris = Hillary Clinton

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart

IMO, Tulsi Gabbard with Bernie as VP would be the best bet for winning.

My guess is Harris will be the establishment pick. It will be just as a low energy ticket as last time.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I think a lot of Americans are getting tired of the over 70 crowd of candidates. Although I like Bernie, I think it's time Americans elect younger blood into office with new ideas. Maybe a new young perspective can help unite us all for a more peaceful and caring world.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

I think a lot of Americans are getting tired of the over 70 crowd of candidates. Although I like Bernie, I think it's time Americans elect younger blood into office with new ideas. Maybe a new young perspective can help unite us all for a more peaceful and caring world.

I don't think you're wrong.

However the voters should decide, not corporate media, and not the GOP or DNC.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Even worse, the same corporations who own these media outlets are willing to use whatever they can at their disposal as ammunition.

It is not really journalism when they write the script?
Poor Bernie, seems he got suckered again.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I like Bernie. I do think he is old. However, I think he has actually kept up with the times. That is my main argument against age. Being out of touch with the times.

I think Bernie relates so well to the younger generations because of this. To me, he is one of the only career politicians that haven't been bought.

Heck - Jimmy Carter is 93 and still swinging hammers, right?

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Even worse, the same corporations who own these media outlets are willing to use whatever they can at their disposal as ammunition.

It is not really journalism when they write the script?
Poor Bernie, seems he got suckered again.

The only problem is that people think this is new.

Many people haven't heard of Noam Chomsky, probably because MSM has pretty much banned him... But here was his take in 1996, basically calling it propaganda.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Many people haven't heard of Noam Chomsky

oh plenty of people know and follow that guys teachings
he is a peach

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The only question that needs to be asked.

Is why does Sanders let himself continually be a punching bag?

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
They did it to Dana Loesch when Scott Israel failed the kids of Stoneman Douglas and they needed to blame guns and the NRA in order to protect a political crony.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Many people haven't heard of Noam Chomsky

oh plenty of people know and follow that guys teachings
he is a peach

Be that as it may.... I don't make agreeing with someone's world view a prerequisite to them being right sometimes.

I don't find balance in listening to those agree with, rather I listen to everyone I don't.

He called it from decades ago, fruit or not

Problem is, people only care when it affects them or their team.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The Dems are going to have trouble electing anyone ever again until they get over this obsession with victimhood. They tear each other to pieces over who has more privilege and who’s the biggest victim.

I’ve said it before and il say it again, the only person electable to leftist is a gay trans black disabled impoverished female. Idk probably still not enough victimhood in there.

Bernie was cheated out of his candidacy and rolled over and supported Clinton like a coward, i seriously doubt he will stand up any stronger this time around.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I'm not a fan of CNN, but I also don't single them out. Any corporate media is garbage (to our standards), because they have to answer to execs and advertisers.

I'm not a fan of FOX, but I really like Tucker Carlson. He's one of the very few news people who have integrity.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

I'm not a fan of CNN, but I also don't single them out. Any corporate media is garbage (to our standards), because they have to answer to execs and advertisers.

I'm not a fan of FOX, but I really like Tucker Carlson. He's one of the very few news people who have integrity.

Tucker Carlson is a pundit, not a news person.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Tucker Carlson is a pundit, not a news person.

You're talking semantics. His title at FOX is 'news contributor'.
edit on 27-2-2019 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join