It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I overthinking this - or is the World this dumb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Please keep your keys in this box - thieves will never figure out it contains something valuable even though you access with a key combo on the front

Keep your spare car keys, house keys, on the outside of your house in a convenient place for all to see!

All they need is a hammer - take it away - crack open the keys and come back when you're not around.

Did I mention they call it nondescript?

"Outdoor Wall Mounted Key Safe Combo Lockbox

Only $29.00"

The Outdoor Wall Mounted Key Safe Lockbox is a compact,nondescript device that can

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   
My old man has one of these.

It's because he is terminally ill and in the event of an emergency the paramedics need to be able to access him. They cannot carry keys for all houses.

Seems stupid at first....

The value of your car and TV drop when compared to the value of your life in a vulnerable situation.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Fair enough and I can understand your position. But of concern is the fact that Insurers will usually deny claims if you effectively leave the place unlocked by leaving the keys around.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

The only time our doors are locked is when we head to bed.
I don't bother during the day because a thief can just break a damn window anyways so what's the point.
Besides, that's why I have insurance.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Not true...most all large buildings have lock boxes. Fire captain, unit commander and Field supervisor has access.

Our commander has access to at least 159+ buildings, shops, homes.

This has been around for over 20 yrs, the reason, obvious...although to you, it's something new...where it is not at all....just the home-commercial availability is.

Like storing in the "cloud" all your personal stuff for anyone to access.

In fact? A lox-box is more secure than "the cloud" IMO

EMT/Fire and Rescue
Michigan

edit on 27-2-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   

His box is certified to Loss Prevention Standard 1175 Level 1 for security products. Most insurance companies will not void a claim if the burglar gets into the house via compromising the box - obviously depends massively on insurance provider and probably who fitted the box.

I will say, the one in your pic looks flimsy.

His is steel and bolted into the wall.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Well, you might be over-thinking it somewhat. There are actually a variety of boxes like this, used for a variety of things.

The box you refer to is not the most common. The most common is what is known as a "Knox Box", and these are anything but insignificant, fragile, key holders. They are required by Code across the nation for Fire Departments to enter buildings and access elevator fire control keys. They are made from hardened steel and near impossible to breach. Yes, I suppose they could be breached...eventually...but not before most other means of entry were much more easily employed (i.e. breaking a window, breaking down a door, etc.)

The other, more residential, version of these things came out of the Real Estate industry mostly. They are were used initially to allow multiple real estate agents to gain access to a home for presentation to a client. These are usually just flimsy cast pot metal with a combo lock. A lot of them actually hang on a door knob, but the one you've pictured screws to a wall.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

stupid idea!

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   
If someone really wants to break into a house, they will get in. Just a matter of how much damage is done along the way. For places where multiple people need to access, these lock boxes serve a purpose and provide a balance between security and usability. People have been making, buying and using these things for a while now.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Looks like it’s about as hard to break as a window, so I guess really nothing changes if you have one.

edit on 27-2-2019 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   

It's a box with keys and you made a thread about it so that you could waste part of your life talking to strangers on the internet about said box of keys. So yes, you are certainly overthinking this.
edit on 27-2-2019 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
There are lots of ways to hide a key outside of your house, I won't mention them though, some crooks might profit by me saying this kind of thing.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
Sorry to inform you Bluntone my friend but if you have anything stolen and your property is not secure (ie. not locked) it negates your insurance because if you read the small print one will read it is up to the insured to take all precautions against theft.
The very first question they will ask you is "was your house locked".

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
The very first answer one should then give is ‘yes’.

Unless of course you believe honesty towards unscrupulous insurance companies is a valuable trait then one should remain truthful.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero

about it so that you could waste part of your life talking to strangers on the internet about said box of keys. So yes, you are certainly overthinking this.

And while castigating me you go on and do the same. Well played.

Now as you probably have been around the traps long enough you would have by now reached a conclusion that while ATS members are anonymous that doesn't mean they're strangers.

top topics

join