It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I worked hard so you don't have to... A parental falsehood.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Generation after generation of parents state that they work hard so that their children will have a better tomorrow. For the most part, each parental generation has achieved their goal. Enter the time of automation, computers, and less work due to previous generation's ingenuity and hard work.

As work loads continue to decrease due to previous generations breakthroughs through technology and automation, the future of humanity are continually called lazy.

But why?

Is this not the goal of every generation of parents to work hard, so that their children can advance and prosper outside the difficulty their parents faced?

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Some do work extra hard for their children,just because some millenium is probably asked to get a job and help provide,kids are selfish and stupid some things never change,some had parents,others had deadbeat parents,or rotten kids

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
Generation after generation of parents state that they work hard so that their children will have a better tomorrow. For the most part, each parental generation has achieved their goal. Enter the time of automation, computers, and less work due to previous generation's ingenuity and hard work.

As work loads continue to decrease due to previous generations breakthroughs through technology and automation, the future of humanity are continually called lazy.

But why?

Is this not the goal of every generation of parents to work hard, so that their children can advance and prosper outside the difficulty their parents faced?

Right now people produce more on an hourly basis, because of internet.
Because you can produce more per hour because of technological advancements, dosn't mean peers cannot do the same.
Every employee is a cost/benefit analysis.
People are doing more for less cost these days, because it is easier to do so.

Yes the internet tech giant are repressing your wage.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:50 AM
link   
When I was child, my father told me to work for a living. Those words stuck with me.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

To work hard 'as an example' to their children of what is expected of an adult

in real life.

Something I was told as a young mother was "There is no such thing as bad

children..... only bad parents"

The older I get the more I see of parenting the more I agree with it .

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
When I was child, my father told me to work for a living. Those words stuck with me.

I was told *You owe it to yourself nobody owes you anything*

How true that is.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Well, the boomer generations parents did work very, very hard for a better living. Not just for the baby boomers but for EVERYONE to rebuild pretty much the entire world. I think that's where that saying comes into play the most.

Shame tho, a lot of that generation worked hard to build a better future for their family to give inheritance, and it's a huge deal with families now days, who gets what etc, etc.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Lol, the people commenting here did not work hard giving you stars and flags, but I did. I appreciate the sentiment of your thread.

My Step Dad never worked hard and he is loaded. I worked hard for a long time and got nothing for it so I just did the same as my Step Dad. Now I have a lot more than I did when I worked my little butt off. I am no materialist though. There is not much I want any way. I would have had a different attitude if I had kids (but my family did not). I would have put my kids first every time. However, sometimes we slave away when if we were craftier and less willing to put up with exploitation we might score a better life without having to squirm in the grime and shine the shoes of the capitalist beast.

Really, tell this stuff just to yourself now, you who love quoting these wise sayings that were derived to make you feel bad if you did not slave away like a good little pion. if you want to give yourself fine advice about the rewards of being a loyal little doggy go ahead, but neither the Universe nor I believe a word of it.

I tell you what "works" best in this life. It is audacity, ruthlessness and putting yourself and your interests before everything else. It is about getting most for doing least. Only at the end of it you are left looking like a monster with a lot of cash.

The work ethic belongs to the past and to the coming robots. Write it in an algorithm for a machine instead. I am free of the bonds of slavery for the nasty little fat guy. Would you like to join me?

edit on 27-2-2019 by Malak777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: musicismagic

I was told *You owe it to yourself nobody owes you anything*

How true that is.

yes , i agree with you
life owes you nothing

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Malak777

Lol, the people commenting here did not work hard giving you stars and flags, but I did. I appreciate the sentiment of your thread.

My Step Dad never worked hard and he is loaded. I worked hard for a long time and got nothing for it so I just did the same as my Step Dad. Now I have a lot more than I did when I worked my little butt off. I am no materialist though. There is not much I want any way. I would have had a different attitude if I had kids (but my family did not). I would have put my kids first every time. However, sometimes we slave away when if we were craftier and less willing to put up with exploitation we might score a better life without having to squirm in the grime and shine the shoes of the capitalist beast.

Really, tell this stuff just to yourself now, you who love quoting these wise sayings that were derived to make you feel bad if you did not slave away like a good little pion. if you want to give yourself fine advice about the rewards of being a loyal little doggy go ahead, but neither the Universe nor I believe a word of it.

I tell you what "works" best in this life. It is audacity, ruthlessness and putting yourself and your interests before everything else. It is about getting most for doing least. Only at the end of it you are left looking like a monster with a lot of cash.

The work ethic belongs to the past and to the coming robots. Write it in an algorithm for a machine instead. I am free of the bonds of slavery for the nasty little fat guy. Would you like to join me?

can i drink your wine

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I find it’s just perpetual if not oposite.
ie. Parents work hard, get a decent job so their kids have the ability to further their studies and get a good job - rinse and repeat.

Then there’s the opposite: parents work hard to secure their children’s future, but in doing so neglect the kids who become drug addicts and dependent on their parents.

Eh, I believe these days everyone makes their own future.
You can be anything, just gotta work hard enough and make the right choices. Sometimes you do and life screws you anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Malak777

Not looking like a monster...... you have become the monster!!

Money? When you have enough for your needs, the rest is just superfluous.

Ethics is what defines the person........

If a jobs worth doing, then its worth doing WELL.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Wow... lucky kids!

My parents never told me that and I sure never told my kids that! In fact, at one point I agreed with them that we only had kids to make them slaves. (I was tired of arguing...)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Interestingly, my experience in life has been from job to job, the higher pay I get the easier my actual job gets. I started off washing dishes and prep chef, progressed to military then service and construction, and now medicine. The higher up the pay ladder I go though, the easier and less onerous the actual work I’m doing.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

That is because the definition of what "hard work" is misunderstood by so many. Just because a person's work is all mental and not physical does not mean it is not hard work. Sure working on an oil rig or coal mine is physically taxing and leaves a person dirty, sweaty or what have you, but at the end of the work day their work is done. A person can work hard and never break a sweat, and the hard work they are doing is deemed not hard work because it is not understood. There are many cases that I see this espoused, but it is almost always misunderstood or misrepresented due to menial workers not understanding what their boss does in the office all day. The boss or owner however takes their mental work with them at all times to be successful, their work life balance is completely inter-meshed. There is no getting away from it. That is and should be considered hard work, but is never seen that way by the majority of people as they have never or will never be in such a position.

new topics

top topics

join