It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Distant Outpost...just an out-building.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:14 PM
link   
So, last month we completed out "out-building". (I've posted pictures of it earlier).

Only problem is, it's about a quarter mile from the house. And, today, that means hiking through some serious snow to get there.

Earlier today, when the snowblower ran out of gas, I thought...okay just grab a gas can in the garage. Nope...I'd moved them all to the outbuilding to get them away from the house. So, hike it was, through knee deep snow to the out building. I had to rest when I got there (I should get some snow shoes!). Then, back down the hill, through the snow again, gas can in hand, to refill the snowblower. (it's a gas pig!)

Just last week, I was in "summer" in South America, and it was HOT! Today, at sunrise, I stood there in snow up over my knees, looking at the landscape, so beautiful. Such a different world (from sweating my ass off in the blazing South American sun). I filled the snow blower up, and thought about what a dichotomy this all was, blowing all the snow away.

Later, I had to put chains on our skidsteer loader. Back up the hill again, through the snow. The dogs all had fun. I loaded the chains on the four wheeler, all 200 lbs of them, and soon enough we set about putting the chains on in the deep snow. A "joy" for those who have never done this. It took nearly two hours. Then it was time to go hook up the big snowblower, clearing the hydraulic lines and getting everything set up. I always love the intial engine lugging and the turbo kicking in when we get into the big snow. Skid is running at about 80% power and throwing snow over the fences...a beautiful sight, just arcing through the air. Got the heater on inside, defrosters going and the radio going...it's going to be a while.

Blew off our drive, all 1,900 feet of it, down to the road (14% grade), and then 2 miles of private road to the County road. (Note: the skid can go down the drive, but it's way too steep for it to make it back up without chains).

As I was coming back home down our road, I'm looking at our building sitting up on the hill and it seemed so far away. I'd only blown off our drive to the road, but not the roads up to our building. I get back up to the house and the wife is out on the front deck looking at me like....WELL??? Okay, so I go and head up the hill to the out-building, but now the wind is in my direction. Within one minute one of the biggest skidsteer loaders made by New Holland was a Snow Mummy. Windshield wipers going on 'fast', black smoke pouring out of the stack...wow...a distant building in the snow.

I climbed out of the skid up at the building and looked around. Completely quiet, maybe a coyote track or two. All alone. No one else there. It was a tremendous feeling, knowing we do this all on our own, with no one ever there to help. How hard we've worked for this...just to have someplace to be left alone...in peace.

A distant outpost.

edit on 2/23/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Cool anecdote of your experience.
I envy your freedom and solace.
Stay safe.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Snowing again...now I get to do it under the lights.

This time with wind.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   

You write beautifully.

Cheers, again.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Reading that was inspiring and kinda beautiful. I hope to one day be in a similar place.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I have a gas can in each garage, I also have tools to do lots of simple mechanics stuff in the little garage too, but I can tackle just about any mechanic job in the big garage. I should get myself a big press, but I don't have room for it anywhere.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Thanks. I don't get to do it, but I get to read your words and I appreciate that.

new topics

top topics

join