It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb Geography Question (???)- Total Brain Phart!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I'm somewhat ashamed I don't know the answer to this seemingly easy question, and I'm sure I have completely over-thunk it.

Your assistance is appreciated...

Okay, so I installed a new weather station on our property. The console set up wants a latitude and longitude for the sensor locations. Easy enough, right? So I get out my GPS and get the coordinates. The values are a positive North latitude and a negative value for East longitude. Fine, I'm used to this, we're in North America. HOWEVER...the weather station will not accept a negative value for an Easting. It want's instead a value for a West longitude.

Now at first I thought this would be as simple as subtracting my negative East value from 360 degrees, but this results in a value of greater than 180. The weather station will only take values from 0 - 180. Okay, that makes 'some' sense (180 degrees being one half of a circle), BUT...

I can't figure out how to calculate my "West" longitude value within these constraints (i.e. a value between 0 and 180).

My Easting value is -140....so what's the Westing value???

Feel realy dumb for asking this question, but thanks for your responses (in advance).

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

West of the Prime Meridian is generally expressed as a negative number.

An Easting of -140, however, is 140 Westing.

Since it goes east counterclockwise to 180, then goes counterclockwise from -180 to 0.

It's stupid, I know.

edit on 23-2-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
You must have had a brain FART
Your on a computer. Use google earth grid.

edit on 23-2-2019 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I think you can make Google Earth give you the values you need. I am sure you can convert it on the web somewhere also. I am not sure how to do the math either.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Sometimes I'm just dense.

My apologies!!

DUHHHH!

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Your words, not mine;

As far as education is concerned my college background is in Physics and to a lesser extent Geography

LOL.

Apologies, but I just couldn't help myself.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

***grimmace***

Yeah, thanks for that!

I think I'll go hide now!

Can I claim "oldness"???

Okay, never mind...I'll just go hide.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   
It's your software that is the issue. In any software I have ever used you would express a US longitude with a positive number like this: 122*22' West, 47*40' North (where * = degree sign). The "negative" is taken care of by the direction. So don't be too hard on yourself. Some lazy programmer is making it difficult.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I know...I'm just crushed for being stupid on this night!

Maybe I bumped my head in the deep snow today...I don't know.

I'm an idiot.

(not always...but I was today)

top topics

join