It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5G? 6G? How About Li-Fi?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
arstechnica.com...

I want 5G, and even 6G, technology in the United States as soon as possible. It is far more powerful, faster, and smarter than the current standard. American companies must step up their efforts, or get left behind. There is no reason that we should be lagging behind on......... — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 21, 2019

....something that is so obviously the future. I want the United States to win through competition, not by blocking out currently more advanced technologies. We must always be the leader in everything we do, especially when it comes to the very exciting world of technology!

Meanwhile, thousands of people terrified of approaching microwave level frequencies and recalling the deaths by cancer of soldiers in the early days of Radar technology, used to warm their bodies in winter by standing in front of the radar dishes. They remember stories about people trying to roast hot dogs at high energy radio towers, proven and otherwise. For others, it's merely an eye sore.

But is Trump wrong about the need for the United States to compete, even to maintain a technological edge over rival economic entities like the People's Republic of China? Should the United States try to invent a 6G microwave (oven) antenna network to keep up with the "Chi-Coms"?

...what about LIGHT FIDELITY?

en.wikipedia.org...

Visible ROYGBIV rainbow spectrum, plus infra-red and ultraviolet light, compared with the 27-71 GHz of 5G:

Light Fidelity, or Li-Fi, invented 8 years ago, operates at stable frequencies in the 30 THz to 3PHz range. The visible spectrum (such as your street lights or house lamps) operates in the 430-770 THz. But let's see that comparison visually:

United States G5 (Wi-Fi)
min: 27,000,000
Max: 71,000,000

Light Fidelity Visible (Li Fi)
min: 430,000,000,000
Max: 770,000,000,000

Conservative Early Tests of Li-Fi produced data transmission of 224+ Gigabits/second

Compare this with the expected datarate of 1Gigabit per second and peak data rate of 20 Gigabits per second of 5G, it's obvious that Li-Fi is like the difference between Fiber Optics and 1990s Modems. Li-Fi can produce even a "weak" indirect signal by bouncing light off walls to get 70 Megabits/second with early tests, which is considerably more than needed for streaming videos and multimedia, and would download a 2GB film in less than 4 minutes.

The President of the United States wants to get ahead of China by pushing for 5G and a theoretical 6G wifi, but there's a better 5th Generation "5G" technology already in development, which is safer, orders of magnitude more efficient, and can meet the demands of the future:
Lifi as the New 5th Generation

edit on 22-2-2019 by skynet2015 because: .

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: skynet2015

So you're saying 5g will bring me faster speeds but may cause me to die?

Win win.

Speeding up my phone and my lifespan for only 100$ a month, I'm in.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
How about Q-fi ?

Quantum entanglement!

One thing is for sure.

As we use more data, and do more.

Bandwidth WILL have to adjust accordingly.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Ahaha I wondered if someone would post this here....

The discussion here on this should be interesting. Too bad I have no popcorn for the nonsense i'm going to end up reading here.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I'm not bothered about how fast the data is.
I am bothered by it's availability. If I want 4G I have to go to a city or a large town.
Why do we need a faster connection than 4G? We can stream entertainment or video calls with 4G and that's all we really need mobiles to do.

5G is just...
faster, so more profit for phone networks. Right?
Always about the money...

It's a good thing that the brain is protected by a thick layer of bone. I'm not sure how small creatures feel about 5G?

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I am very concerned about the effect on people's health, where is the concern with our elected officials?

Wireless company documents clearly state that 5G will increase the levels of RF radiation in the vicinity of the antennas. Many countries such as China, India, Poland, Russia, Italy and Switzerland have far more protective and stricter radiation limits which will not allow the deployment of 5G as the increased 5G radiation would exceed their limits. These countries are creating roadblocks to the 5G rollout and industry has launched large scale efforts to loosen limits.

5G will utilize not only the frequencies currently in use, but also higher millimeter wave and sub-millimeter wave frequencies. Small cells being installed in cities are usually 4G technology with a wide variety of frequencies. Thus, when we consider the health impacts of 5G and small cells we are looking at research on current technologies and frequencies in use in addition to research on sub-millimeter and millimeter waves. The 5G standard is new there are no studies that have looked at long term human exposure to 5G. However the current body of research finding effects from current wireless technology provides enough data for scientists to call for a moratorium.

ehtrust.org...

ehtrust.org...

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaghettiHero
I'm not bothered about how fast the data is.
I am bothered by it's availability. If I want 4G I have to go to a city or a large town.
Why do we need a faster connection than 4G? We can stream entertainment or video calls with 4G and that's all we really need mobiles to do.

5G is just...
faster, so more profit for phone networks. Right?
Always about the money...

It's a good thing that the brain is protected by a thick layer of bone. I'm not sure how small creatures feel about 5G?

Actually no. My understanding is 5g is far cheaper to deploy - because it uses something like a high powered version of a wireless router with about a mile range, and thus should be more widely deployed. Also due to it's increased speed, it will actually be a legit competitor to traditional internet providers such as cable and phone companies.

It should therefore increase competition which should hopefully drive internet costs down. Also it is supposed to work while you are in motion far better, and should provide true connectivity to automobiles.

The downside is of course the possibility it gives everyone cancer.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'm really curious as to how many people actually find 4G or LTE networks inadequate for their mobile browsing needs? Are there really people out there streaming 4k videos or playing high demand online games?

Because personally, at this point, my mobile data is only marginally slower than my home wifi and if find it to be more than enough for anything i'd actually do on a phone.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
trump is all in for 6g. Quantum twitter...life will be so good!!

edit on 22-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I wonder where he will get the money required to pay for the treatment of cancer in the population?

(post by olaru12 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

For the IOT (Internet of Things) it won't be enough.

As everything starts talking to each other times that by the world population.

Still won't be enough.
edit on 22-2-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

SNIP

It looks like there may be wriggle room for China to pay for it.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 22-2-2019 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It's not surprising that Trump supports this. He has shown many times to have absolutely no care about health safety, science, or people in general. He is very materialistic and that may have made him good at some business aspects, but it does not make him a good president.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

The discussion here on this should be interesting. Too bad I have no popcorn for the nonsense i'm going to end up reading here.

What nonsense do you expect?
Or is it simply that you want to feel empowered by trying to appear as a "insider"?

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Or is it simply that you want to feel empowered by trying to appear as a "insider"?

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: SoundOfZilvah

Conversation about technology on here tends to be ridiculous at best....full of some of most insane things i've heard about technology at worst....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join