It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New tiny tyrannosaur helps show how T. rex got big

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:17 AM
link   
When most of us think or hear " Tyrannosaurus Rex" if you are like me I think of a very big toothy dinosaur that it would not pay to have supper with especially if you were listed on the desert menu.

The following article brought up something I had not given much thought to..

I believe in evolution which IMO works in everything from bacteria to plants and everything in between.

So what was Mr. T. Rex doing when there were others bigger and higher up on the food chain when they were getting their own start ?

Tyrannosaurus rex might have been the “tyrant lizard king,” but before the mighty T. rex stomped across what is now North America, it ancestors weren't exactly living like royalty: They were tiny, gangly, and quick on their feet, adapted to life in the shadows of far larger carnivores.

Now, a fossil found in Utah is helping paleontologists better understand how this region's tyrannosaurs went from ecological paupers to princes. Weighing about 170 pounds and standing less than five feet tall, the newly named species Moros intrepidus is one of the smallest dinosaurs of its kind dating back to the Cretaceous period, the time between 66 million and 145 million years ago.

What's more, Moros most closely resembles tyrannosaurs that lived in Asia in the early Cretaceous. The find suggests that the ancestors of Moros crossed a land bridge from Asia into North America, as part of an exchange between the two continents that's well-documented in other dinosaur groups. To honor its journey, researchers gave Moros the globe-trotting species name of intrepidus.

www.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Even a 5 foot baby rex is a scary proposition i would have imagined back in the day .

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The only things I care about when it comes to dinosaurs is

A. Did any at all exist at the same time as any version of human?

B. What the hell were the t-rex arms used for?

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Like what people THINK a velociraptor was.

www.todayifoundout.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:34 AM
link   

A five foot plus goanna had me standing still as a statue near Yuendumu. My off sider took off and locked himself in the truck, windows up. Kid you not.

Bally

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

I would have loved to have seen that lizard! It's the closest we'll get to seeing a dinosaur.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Considering our 12 inch tall Rooster named “Goblin” is crazy mean, I’d hate to come across any 5 ft tall T-Rex as cute as they might seem .

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
Considering our 12 inch tall Rooster named “Goblin” is crazy mean, I’d hate to come across any 5 ft tall T-Rex as cute as they might seem .

Yep there are many birds that will fight you eye to eye..When I was growing up and around 5 years old there was a Turkey gobbler who had me going to the barn in fear...

Next question; did dinosaur tails taste like chicken white meat ?...

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Cant say i have seen one quite that big but there was one i remember used to live around a picnic area where i grew up . Used to hang around groups having a barbie until you tossed it a snag , then it would wander off to the next group . Big bugger too .

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Yeah I can see that. Funny you mention the camp. We were pegged up at Red Head near here recently and had a biggy wander into our dig.

I threw it a whiting I'd caught. It took it head first and that was gone in one gulp. Seen some big reptiles out in the desert. Biggest was a Desert Python stretched across the Tanami Highway. Just taking its' time. Can't imagine what it survived on. Perhaps big goannas'.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm still trying to recover from the news that Trex actually had feathers. Now you trying to tell me he was tiny too!

new topics

top topics

join