It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multi-GeV electron-positron beam generation from laser-electron scattering for 100

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   
so it seems the future of flight is going to be aneutronic fusion and other star-trek stye stuff.

in this NATURES paper they are working on generating a lot of antimatter/matter pairs to simulate gamma ray bursts and other high energy output events in the lab using GeV level lasers.

i think this sort of stuff really speaks to the future of DEWS that would pack a punch and maybe even initiate a power source.

the paper ots self talks about using such powerful lasers to plumb the depths of gravity and stellar events on a benchtop, combine that with the table top accelerators and i think we are getting into truly feildable DEWS.

NATURE

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I have no idea how it all works but it sounds cool! Thanks

Imagine the stuff that is top secret though, it must be insane.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Doesn't belong on the aircraft forum, penroc.

Also, the PW lasers they are talking about are very low energy (joules), just delivered in very, very very short bursts.

Look up bella and other tabletop accelerators.
edit on 21-2-2019 by anzha because: added comment

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

Nine times out of ten it's really not super exciting.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The article fluffs over the details, claims:

quantum processes are modelled via an additional Monte-Carlo module.

There are several quantum Monte Carlo methods used to solve the many body problem.
Might be a good place to look for clues?

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Cool article. I don't think however that this would be an avenue into weaponry.

I dunno anzha, this might belong in the aviation forum though. For instance i heard a rumour that there is a very advanced AI they are testing on new aircraft that uses positrons. Its supposedly called Digital Artificial Thought Algorithm. It uses a one of a kind positronic neural network to replicate human thought processes in lieu of a pilot. Will be in the next generation. Replaces D.U.D.E. Which apparently was too proactive in supporting its pilots.

edit on 21-2-2019 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Now THAT sounds like some star trek stuff!

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Technology brings death to mankind!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: watchandwait410

Nine times out of ten it's really not super exciting.

Oh to people like me we are breathing it in going, give us more please. Nerd material is welcome. We don't act like Sheldon the actor Scientist. But, we do get pleasure talking with other nerds who like the subject. Thank you!

Rant over....

ETA

And to DFNJ

Risk taking is a human part of what we do.
edit on 21-2-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

file.scirp.org...

arc.aiaa.org...

citeseerx.ist.psu.edu...

using electron beams in unique ways for hypersonic flight(im sure positrons could also be used). there are many uses for these types of highly charged beams in aircraft.

here is a simi unrelated paper about using microwaves and plasma to reduce drag.

apps.dtic.mil...

if you follow the track of high energy particle beam and power generation and the effects of projecting said beams or power is pretty interesting

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
nm
edit on 23-2-2019 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   

The first link i provided talks about a ultra powerful ultra fast laser that would in essence act as a UAV sized aircrafts propulsion system and the laser could be ground based.

the laser would be used to generate antimatter when it hits a gold or some other high atomic number target. it talks about using the energy from the matter/anti matter reaction to fuel a ramjet. and the only thing limiting the speed of the aircraft is the power and speed of the laser.

top topics

join