It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders raked in $6 million in donations just 24 hours after announcing 2020 bid

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

So a Forbes article from 6 years ago is your opinion? I was hoping maybe you'd speak for yourself.
edit on 2/21/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

When someone makes a factual statement about an entire generation being driven into dire poverty I tend to look for actual facts.
As opposed to making up my own.

Most people in the usa have no idea what dire poverty looks like except from the old sally struthers african kids commercials.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   
So, 30% of Americans, that’s 100 million workers, make minimum wage. That’s what, $7.50 an hour? That’s pretty dire poverty. 50% of Americans make under 12 an hour. And there are the actual homeless. At any rate, of course Bernie’s an outsider, all his donations come from individuals and the average was $27, and not a single corporate donor. In the US the corporate supported candidates are the insiders, those without corporate support are outsiders. So he is, in fact, the only outsider, and the only real anti establishment candidate. And to those aspersions about his “wealth”. He’s about the poorest man that was in office. Fox News anchors make more than him. And the idea that he’s a hypocrite for having money is ludicrous. Nowhere has he stated middle class Americans don’t pay their fair share. And everybody knows this. And he is middle class. Every person on here calling him rich and a hypocrite are full of crap. Further, nowhere has he ever said Americans shouldn’t be able to make money. If you want to debate about sanders debate his actual policies, not your juvenile attempts to reframe those policies. He is anti war, anti intervention and anti corruption. And he wants to use American paid tax dollars to work for American working class people. End of story.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
And I assure you all, there is no way trump will win again. Sorry to break it to you. I called the last three elections accurately, it’s pretty easy if you pay attention, and I guarantee you that trump is not going to have a second term. Yes, in your echo chamber here there’s plenty trumpetteers but most people will see through his con game when the economy begins to tank which I expect will be near the end of this year or the beginning of the next. And I promise you this, if trump is still in office when it’s time to deal with the next bust, his solutions will only make it far worse. And nobody in his little nepotistic entitled Warhawk cabin have the ability or any desire to create any sort of recovery for the people from what the next crash will bring. It will be looting on a scale unimaginable.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

You are speaking to closed ears here. No one is interested in financially literate debate just platitudes

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

What do you look at when you predict elections? Romney obviously couldn't win, but 2008 and 2016 both surprised me.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   

You seem fairly knowlegable regarding Sanders, so a couple of questions.

What will the things he promises cost?

How can he fund his plans without hitting the middle class hard to pay for it?

I'd also add to that, do you think he believes he can keep his promises, or are they just platitudes to get votes?

You seem to be saying you understand the economy, so you must be aware that any giant social program requires that middle income earners must pay much higher taxes, since it's not possible to get it all from the 20% above middle class, much less the top say 5%.

Are you good with politicians making false promises they know they can't keep when they make them?

How do you think he would do vs Biden, who is close to announcing if he's going to run and has been meeting with Hillary.

Or what about Klobuchar who makes rational promises that can be kept. LINK

Back to Videos
Amy Klobuchar: I'm Not A "Magic Genie" Who Can Give Free College For All
Posted By Tim Hains
On Date February 19, 2019

Sen. Amy Klobuchar declined to support Sen. Bernie Sanders' call for free four-year college if she were elected president in 2020.

"If I was a magic genie and could give that to everyone and we could afford it, I would," Klobuchar said at a CNN town hall in New Hampshire. "I'm just trying to find a mix of incentives and make sure kids that are in need — that's why I talked about expanding Pell Grants — can go to college and be able to afford it, and make sure that people that can afford it are able to pay."

She did not support Sanders promise because it's simply not possible and she chose to be honest.

I don't think he will fare well against honest candidates that don't give pie in the sky, Kobe T-Bones for everyone promises they without a doubt know can't be kept.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

You are speaking to closed ears here. No one is interested in financially literate debate just platitudes

You are right and thats how most of America is they are caught up living their own lives, if times are good,the economy is good, they just aren't going to upset the apple cart. We all know the economy also goes in cycles, and while certain politician's ideas can enhance it or drag it down a bit generally it chugs along based on many other variables. Don't think its a given Trump gets re-elected, but Democrats had better play it perfectly, even thats going to be tough if the economy holds and there is nothing major going wrong.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Actually you are wrong have you ever been to California?

You are clueless. The entire supply chain bearing automation and tens of millions of jobs will be lost.

These kids are going to eat you alive.

I don't care if you listen or educate yourself on those issues because it's going to happen weather you believe it 9r not.

Time is my side.

Do they have running water?
Electricity?
Public school's?

Poverty and "DIRE" poverty are not the same overexagurator.

I know that I am late to the party but I have to ask,

Do you even have any clue as to what you are talking about?

There are many upon many people here in the states that do not have any water, electricity, new clothes, vehicles, food, or many other life sustaining necessities.

It seems that maybe you should get out and take a nice little vacation and go visit some places that are not tourist destinations.

I mean, seriously?

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

Yes there are poor, that was not the claim made.
61 million in dire poverty was the bs spewed.

And btw, does government housing these days not come with electricity and running water?
Snap,wic, and welfare?

Our poor are not poor like the rest of the planet.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

So first and foremost I don’t think he’s making promises he can’t keep. He’s stating what their agendas will be. I absolutely think he is honest. Keeping in mind, most presidents made a lot of promises and then ditched them like old potatoes and often did the opposite such as Obama. Now, let’s take single payer healthcare. It will cost a lot. But there’s a balance. We will be paying for the new plan but we will no longer be paying for our current healthcare system which is way more expensive. He says a 6% tax for healthcare on employee and employer. Currently I pay about 12% of my income on health insurance, and it comes with copays, deductibles, and limits. So while people say “oh, 6% more taxes!” It will actually be a 50% savings. That’s just for me. My employer probably pays about 20% of my salary towards my health insurance, so they’d be saving drastically as well. Not to mention that that will also get rid of Medicare and Medicaid so we would be saving that money as well. And no more Americans would be going bankrupt from medical expenses, which are 50% of current bankruptcies with all the added costs to society included with that.

Biden is the current darling of the neoliberals but really he’s a joke with no history, charisma, or policies to speak of. The msm, banks and corporate sector will greatly support him, but he won’t come near the turnout that Hillary had.

As far as free college for all.... that’s what we all practically had decades ago and it worked fine. When sanders was young, Harvard and other Ivy League schools were a few hundred dollars a year. Again, they may tax us all for it, not sure the amount he promised, but I guarantee it won’t compare to the massive explosion in debt college has become. And to be honest, there’s plenty taxes to pay for it if we just take it from the war and military budget, or by cutting subsidies to corporate welfare. Russsia has done amazing things with a far smaller military budget. And realistically a huge part of the military budget and war costs are just a transfer of wealth from the taxpayers to the arms industry.

And lastly, we recently printed and gave upwards of 12 trillion to the banks. The economy didn’t collapse from that, nor did hyperinflation set in. So a huge theory about printing money has been disproved, that if you dump a ton of money into circulation the dollar would crash. I guarantee that if that 12 trillion were given to facilitate the people, rather than banking profit, it would have a much larger positive effect on the economy than just sitting in the accounts of the wealthy elite as it is now.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
What we really need is a huge banking overhaul. People don’t realize what a scam banks are. First of all, only about 5% of money actually exists as dollars. The rest is all electronic. And banks create that money, those electronic dollars, when they give you a loan. The mortgage is considered an asset for them so then the fed gives them permission to lend out 10x that amount to other people. That’s called leveraging. So banks give you imaginary money. In return, you give them a large percentage of 30 years of the money that you work for. They make money for nothing. They are allowed to extract a massive amount of profit from the system without ever risking any actual property or money that they have, and when they do have losses, through bad betting in the stock market, it’s federally backed by the government. This system is a huge drain on the American economy allowing massive banks to give away money they never owned or earned and to siphon a massive chunk of the surplus we work for.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   

And btw, does government housing these days not come with electricity and running water? 
Snap,wic, and welfare? 

This is exactly what I was referring to in my earlier post.

Not every single poor person lives in public housing in the city.

There are thousands of people living in dilapidated shacks, trailers, and half torn down houses in the country. I personally know because I have been to some and know people who live like this.

Regardless of what you may believe or read, there are many people who do not wish to take a government hand out or any charity for that matter. Not every poor person gets wic or snap.

For you to say that the extreme poor here is nothing like the world poor, tells me that you really have no idea of what you are talking about. Not trying to be rude , but just forthright.

It is actually quite worse than you think it is.

edit on 21-2-2019 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

But NOWHERE near the 61 milion claimed?

Ps.
While i served i spent time in south america and southeast asia
Alot of those people would trade places with our poor in a heartbeat.
I have a pretty good idea what dire poverty is.
You been to rio?
The bario there is not a nice place.

edit on 21/2/2019 by shooterbrody because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Seems to me he's making promises knowing he can't keep them and I don't care for that brand of politician, no matter what side they are on.

Total tuition is around 600 billion a year now and that's just one of his promises. Tack that on to free healthcare and...and...and and you have a typical politician saying what people want to hear to pander for votes. Not the hero he's touted to be by pie in the sky Far Left Progressives who actually think if they vote for him, he will deliver. He will not. He knows that and if his supporters know that, but support him anyway; that troubles me too.

He won't get the nomination anyway, so I guess he's just a sideshow.

The bank bailout money has been recovered and then some? Did that slip your mind?
Bailout Scorecard

The Bailout Scorecard

Last update: Jan. 22, 2019

Altogether, accounting for both the TARP and the Fannie and Freddie bailout, $632B has gone out the door—invested, loaned, or paid out—while $390B has been returned.

The Treasury has been earning a return on most of the money invested or loaned. So far, it has earned $338B. When those revenues are taken into account, the government has realized a $96.6B profit as of Jan. 22, 2019.

edit on 2/21/2019 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

That’s 600 billion at cost to our current for profit education costs. Just like with medical the profit factor would have to be taken in and we would have to do it at cost rather than at cost plus price gouging. Every other nation in the world manages it. I notice you didn’t comment on the healthcare explanation.

Also the bailout you refer to them paying back.... what about the other 13.8 trillion?

www.motherjones.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Our whole society is set up as a scam and kleptocracy, and they are plundering all they can before the system collapses. As I pointed out with the banks, the stock market is also a similar scam. It includes legalized insider trading from day one, as whoever backs initial offerings has rights of first purchase. This allows them, being Goldman Sachs or some other firm, to buy up stocks on first day when they double their price, and then sell them all right back at a gain. And Again, it’s interestimg that our govt can dump trillions of dollars to banksters to cover fraud they perpetrated and that’s ok, but I don’t see them dropping trillions on the public. So welfare, insider trading, etc are fine when done for criminal corporations, and securing the profits of the wealthy, and the people are expected to pay for that. But talk about the wealthy having to help out the people and all of a sudden it’s wealth redistribution. Hm.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   

You realize the oldest of Gen z is in their early 20s right?
So the point you are trying to make is beyond ridiculous

Get a grip on yourself

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   

You realize the oldest of Gen z is in their early 20s right?
So the point you are trying to make is beyond ridiculous

Get a grip on yourself

You are the one that claimed the entire generation of 61 milion would be in dire poverty.
Even with the entire generation delivering pizzas that claim would not be true.
Your claim was clearly unfounded and pulled directly from your butt.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:05 AM
link   

You mean future tense right?

I bet your an economic scholar.

Can you tell me the impact that the fed increasing its balance sheets while raising rates at the same time will have long term economically?

I realize your ignorant but I want to know how ignorant.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join