It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neptune Has a Newly Discovered Moon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   
New NEPTUNE moon found with Hubble eyes

Enjoy the saturation 😎

Feb. 20, 2019
It’s time to add one more tiny moon to Neptune’s icy family tree. Astronomers using the Hubble Space Telescope have spied a previously undetected satellite around the solar system’s eighth planet, bringing its total number to 14.

The discovery, formally reported Wednesday in Nature, is a stark reminder that there is much more to be found in our own backyard, with implications for our understanding of worlds around other stars in our galaxy.

“I think people have the impression that we know everything there is to know about the moons of Jupiter, the moons of Saturn, the moons of Uranus and the moons of Neptune — but we don’t really,” said Anne Verbiscer, a planetary scientist at the University of Virginia, who was not involved in the recent discovery. “We haven’t found everything.”

It will be interesting to see what else is found as the SOL System continues to develop 😉

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

HIPPOCAMP
edit on 2/20/19 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Why is a moon called a part of the brain?

edit on 21-2-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   
In Greek myths, a hippocamp was a creature that was half-horse and half-fish (the symbol for Capricorn is a hippocamp). I think Neptune created them.

The real question is why they named a part of the brain after a mer-horse

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I mean, can they really call it a 'moon'?

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Hippocamp - it's indelible

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I was wondering how this moon could have been given an official name so quickly.....and then I realised that it was actually discovered in 2013.
edit on 24-2-2019 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Hmm, a moon discovered 6 years ago is news all of a sudden because it gets a name. (Good thing, though, because I'd never heard of it before).

While planets like Saturn and Jupiter are almost always in the news, I feel like Neptune and Uranus (and their moons) are mostly ignored. I'd love to see a robotic mission to these systems, just like we had with Cassini and Juno.

new topics

top topics

join