It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LGBTQ group severs ties with tennis great Martina Navratilova after remarks on trans athletes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
In this week's edition of the "The Left Eats Its Own"...tennis legend Martina Navratilova has been removed from the Advisory Board of the LGBTQ(RSP) group known as Athlete Ally, because she dared to disagree with the concept of Transgender Women (people who were born as Men, but have made a declaration identifying as Female...or some shade of what-would-be-considered-Female I assume, given the 8 million or so Genders that now "exist").

The group said Navratilova’s recent assertions in an op-ed she penned for the Sunday Times about trans athletes were “transphobic, based on false understanding of science and data, and [perpetuated] dangerous myths that lead to the ongoing targeting of trans people through discriminatory laws, hateful stereotypes and disproportionate violence.”

So...stating the obvious that (on average, in the majority) fit biological men competing against biological women in sports is unfair to the female athletes involved, somehow (by extension) leads to "disproportionate violence".

Here is part of what Navratilva said:

The rules on trans athletes reward cheats and punish the innocent. Letting men compete as women simply if they change their name and take hormones is unfair — no matter how those athletes may throw their weight around.

You can’t just proclaim yourself a female and be able to compete against women. There must be some standards, and having a penis and competing as a woman would not fit that standard.

A man can decide to be female, take hormones if required by whatever sporting organization is concerned, win everything in sight and perhaps earn a small fortune, and then reverse his decision and go back to making babies if he so desires. It’s insane and it’s cheating. I am happy to address a transgender woman in whatever form she prefers, but I would not be happy to compete against her. It would not be fair.

Martina was a pioneer in the LGBTQ community, having "come out" decades before it was celebrated to do so...and she lost millions in endorsements and other opportunities as a result. But now, because she is standing up for the (common sense) rights of women to compete fairly against other women - she is being fed to the identity politics dogs.

I have to wonder, when I read the name of the group that has banished her, "Athlete Ally"...do they think they are allies of the growing number of women who make their living in sports...in Golf, Tennis, Basketball, Hockey, etc. - if they are going to lose their jobs to Transgender Women (ie. men)?

She Said He-She Did...or Something

No Opinions for you Martina

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Heard about this, it's really indicative of the lefts problems these days.

It's literally an "all in" mentality and if you object even one bit, your shunned and cast out. No matter who you are or what you've actually accomplished for "the movement".

Not going to end well.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

This is truly shameful on their part... but on the plus side, someone has started a #TeamNavratilova hashtag -- which has got to be making the Twitter Trans Taliban crazy!

The truth about the Trans Activism is slowly but surely rising above the gaslighting. Good. It will probably get uglier before it gets better, but I guess it has to happen. So be it. The Trans Taliban really isn't doing themselves any favors, but they don't realize that yet and have gotten way too big for their britches.

Let the chips fall where they may.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Next thing you know, trans men will be winning pro boxing matches. Dogs and cats, living together.

Manuel was assigned female at birth, but long struggled with his gender identity, rejecting the many ways society and his family forced him to live as a girl. His mother thought of him as a “tomboy”, but he knew he was different. He didn’t, however, have the basic language to understand his identity and there were simply no role models or media representation to teach him: “I didn’t even know trans men existed.”

www.theguardian.com...
edit on 2/20/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I agree with Martina.

People born male compete in male sports.

People born female compete in female sports.

Ya know like HONEST sportsmanship.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Next thing you know, trans men will be winning pro boxing matches. Dogs and cats, living together.

Manuel was assigned female at birth, but long struggled with his gender identity, rejecting the many ways society and his family forced him to live as a girl. His mother thought of him as a “tomboy”, but he knew he was different. He didn’t, however, have the basic language to understand his identity and there were simply no role models or media representation to teach him: “I didn’t even know trans men existed.”

www.theguardian.com...

Any person born female who can compete with men, more power to her (or him, if she later alters her genetalia)...Haley Wickenheiser comes to mind. She will not have built-in physical adavantages over the vast majority of her/his opponents.

Men competing in women's sports, on the other hand, is unfair.
edit on 20-2-2019 by mobiusmale because: typo

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

www.theguardian.com...

Hmmmm. I dunno boxing's not te.most trustworthy sport out there

www.independent.co.uk...

Sorry I couldn't resist. I personally couldn't give the slightest # about any of this.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

What world do you live in? My dogs and cats have been living together forever... and some get along better than others... go figure, eh? So guess what. You may want to sit down for this, it could come as quite a shock to your delicate sensibilities, but I actually take reasonable precautions to keep the smaller and weaker SAFE!!!

It is exactly this disrespectful mocking, belittling, and minimizing of very real issues -- including very real threats to life and limb -- that not only discredits Trans Activism, but condemns it. Because the only reason not to take reasonable precautions for KNOWN threats is because you want those targets to be vulnerable and at risk and helpless.

Some very real crimes committed by men identifying as women AGAINST WOMEN: The Tip of the Iceberg

This is what you are defending and protecting, Phage.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I don't do Tumblr

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Cop out.

And absolutely pathetic.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

What a dumb argument. So you wanna see M-F in a boxing or Mma match?

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I don't watch blood sport, thanks.
Don't really care, actually. Boxing is brutal.

But it's an interesting article, don't you think? A trans man winning against a real man?
edit on 2/20/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

What a dumb argument. So you wanna see M-F in a boxing or Mma match?

I honestly think many do... given the level of vitriol and threats of violence and other outright misogyny against women by men who identify as women, yes, I do think some would absolutely get off on beating the living daylights out of women...

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

What drives me the most crazy is these vague references to science and data, without actually providing the science and data. What drives me the second most crazy is when you get "science and data" from them, the "science" is nothing but half science (psychology....a liberal art, nonscientific study based on subjective analysis) and fringe examples of oddities in nature such as hermaphrodites.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Since you don't follow boxing (I presume), I understand why this interests you. The transboxer in question boxes in the super featherweight weight class and has fought 1 pro fight. Superfeatherweight is 126lbs to 130lbs... most women pro boxers fight at that weight class or above. The fighter who lost (Hugo Aguilar) to this transboxer has an amazingly impressive record of 0-6 and is a total jobber, carefully chosen to serve as a punching bag for new pro boxers that Golden Boy Promotions want to shake a buy rate out of. In my mind, that makes this a lot less compelling. Boxing and MMA are huge sports with a lot of room to manipulate fighters into the scenarios the promotions wish to see them in at all but the highest levels. If GBP wanted to sell a matchup between a 16 year old rail thin female fighter who can beat down a 150 lb man in an intergender fight, they could roll Peter Buckley out there and watch him appear to be trying to win while losing horrifically.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

a reply to: JDmOKI

I don't watch blood sport, thanks.
Don't really care, actually. Boxing is brutal.

But it's an interesting article, don't you think? A trans man winning against a real man?

Blood sport? Really?

Anyways.... I guess it's interesting unless you think taking testosterone is performance enhancing since older men can't take testosterone replacement in combat sports or blood sports if that's what you wanna call it.

I don't agree with M-F crushing born females in sports. Having natural testosterone when going through puberty for several years is an advantage regardless if you're taking estrogen.

Bone density, muscle building, upper body strength etc. Unless we're denying biology because of feelings

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Intersectionality can be troublesome. Ms Navratilova will do well disassociating herself from them.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Transsexual athletes should have their own category of competition .

Problem solved.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

What drives me the most crazy is these vague references to science and data, without actually providing the science and data. What drives me the second most crazy is when you get "science and data" from them, the "science" is nothing but half science (psychology....a liberal art, nonscientific study based on subjective analysis) and fringe examples of oddities in nature such as hermaphrodites.

They mean pseudoscience. Real science proves a lot of their lies wrong. Probably why actual scientists are the subject of mob harassment for their findings.

That’s why they don’t link to anything. It doesn’t exist.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Pretty much agree with Martina on this one.

While I am happy to support whatever gender or none people wish to use I would say competitive sport is one of the exceptions.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join