It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project VXN's Fantasy Portfolio: Let's Learn Together

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   
So let's start with a disclaimer.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a financial advisor. I am not a financial expert or registered with the SEC as a financial expert. I am not an SEC registered financial regulator. I am NOT liable for any losses you may incur. This post, as well as all posts following it, are for informational purposes only.

Now that we have that out of the way I want to begin by saying that this thread is not going to be about the global cabal out to probe your insides with Donald Trump's tiny, tiny hands. This thread is NOT about whether you believe investing has merit or not. It is NOT about your doom prediction. This thread is about an experiment:

If you head over to Investopedia.com/simulator you can register and play, for free, with $100,000 dollars of simulated money. The simulation is reasonably sophisticated but it is not fed by real-time information. What it does do is simulate as close as possible the overall market conditions. I propose we play our own game here on ATS with up to date data. Trade based on real market conditions and what we believe would make good investments. Then at the end of a set period of time, we would see who had the most growth.

That period of time will be 90 days on a rotating basis depending on how active this thread is over time. That means that from the time of your initial Fantasy investment to the completion of your experiment, you will have 90 days. You can make any and all adjustments you want so long as they are recorded here.

Now let's move on to the meat here! What am I investing in?

With $100,000 there are a lot of options for beginning investors. Since I have a bit of experience I have a bias that I simply can't overcome. There is the added factor of investor psychology that is not present when using these simulations. The fear responses and highs are VERY REAL and it is important to understand WHEN you are feeling those feelings and WHY. There are ways to overcome these fears. The ones I use to calm my nerves in uncertain times are the following: The End Goal! What is it that I am trying to do with my money? Take a loss? Hell no. Remember, only invest what you are willing to lose, and make sure that your financial losses on the stock market don't take your house and life with them. That means that no matter how much money you put in over time, the total loss of that money SHOULD NOT AFFECT YOUR LIFE AS IT IS.

Anyway, off the soapbox. My picks:

Let's start with ETFs:

Right off the bat I'm buying 1000 shares of the Global X Robotics & Artificial Intelligence ETF (BOTZ)for nearly 20k of that 100,000 simoleons. Now I have about 80k left.

Next up I'm buying 300 shares of MG Alternative Harvest ETF (MJ) for about 10k.

I have 70 K. Now for a couple of stocks:

Next up is 1000 shares of Aurora Cannabis (ACB) for nearly 7k

63k left over.

1000 Shares of Chronos Group who own a huge portion of the legal cannabis market. That will run me about 11k.

Alright, back to ETFs!

1000 shares of iShares Gold Trust (IAU) ETF for roughly 13k. I would then buy IShares Silver Trust SLV, same amount, for about 14k.

Alright, now I have about 25,000 dollars left to play with. In real life I would never put my only available $100k solely into stocks. My diversification strategy is pretty typical for a person with medium risk tolerance and longer timelines.

I will leave this 25k up for suggestions. Let me know what you have and why!

My 90 days starts today February 2nd, 2019 and ends May 20th, 2019.

I like ETFs a lot. Of all the financial instruments out there that you can trade on the stock market, they are easily among the safest for their built in risk spread. They are growth investments, I like to hang on to them for longer periods.

If you suggest bonds to me, you're either a hard core Trump supporter like me or you believe in Jesus second coming so much that you don't think you'll lose it.

I don't do debt, so therefore I don't do bonds.

Crypto is on the table, but any project you pick MUST come with a description of the project and why you believe in it.

Again, this is SIMULATED and we will be "buying positions" in spirit, lol. This is for the education of anyone who wants to learn to invest but does not want to risk real money doing it.

If you don't wanna do it here then the simulator at Investopedia should be a better fit.
edit on 19 2 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
You should take that last 25K and put it in something big.....BIG.!!!!!!

Triple leveraged oil futures, UWT.

Turn and burn, literally, you'll turn big gains but most likely burn in the end.

Still, it's a fun ride if you are into it......or uh...so I've heard.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Turn and burn, literally, you'll turn big gains but most likely burn in the end.

So you noticed my lack of interest in oil and gas did you?

Where else would you put 25k that's not in oil?

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

So you noticed my lack of interest in oil and gas did you?

They are actually fine on their own, IMO. Just not anything highly leveraged and extremely unstable.

Actually, with gas at a decent low(ish) point right now. Mobil might not be a bad thing to invest in.

Going to need oil to move all those truckloads of pot around.
edit on 19-2-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Going to need oil to move all those truckloads of pot around.

Fair enough. I did ask for suggestions so I will place a 5k position in oil and gas.

1900 Shares of Chesapeake Energy (CHK) for 5k.

20k left folks.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

If you don't mind doing the figures for me

I am investing $60,000 into gold bullion where the gold is directly under my control.

$20,000 into silver.

$20,000 into Palladium.

See what happens in May.

Right with you buddie!

Lets do this.

P

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

You gotta do your own math.

Search for a USD to gold converter on google or look up the spot price of your picks.

100k in metals.

What's your rationalization?

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Crypto. Binance coin. I'd also throw at least a few grand at Ripple XRP when time is right.

Check coinmarketcap.com

Peraonally, I like DNT and ZRX for doing something stupid like 1000x+ for no reason in the coming years.

Also, Bitcoin anywhere between 1500-2500 is a steal with ridiculous rewards if you are willing to wait a few years imo.

But this is coming from a schmuck with no means to invest in the Fiat stock market. That being said - this guy bought Stratis at less than a half of a cent a piece back in 2016.

Peaked at $20 per in 2017. Still over $1.00 today.

Basically, buy good alt coins that are at all time (USD value) lows currently, and flip them for forking millions on the next crypto bubble. I fully expect $100k+ Bitcoin on the bull run, however briefly.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 03:25 AM
link   

What's your rationalization?

The entire money / stock market is a pyramid made of cards. Stock worth is based on perception and bares no resemblance to what the company is actually worth if it burnt down.

One day a wind will blow it down.

Metals are real.

P

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Metals are akin to storing cash under your mattress.

Stock worth is not based on perception. Speculation is still based on fundamental metrics. Its based on P/E ratios, investor interest, and potential return should the company be successful.

100,000 bucks in metals is good if you're trying to never lose your buying power, but it won't grow much and at the end of the 90 days you will likely only have what you put in.
edit on 20 2 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Husband usually keeps a solid chunk of his in safe, slow growers and then reserves a smaller slice for speculative stuff. He lets the safe stuff insulate him somewhat from downturns while the speculative stuff grows rapidly during the good markets.

I will watch because I'm thinking of getting a tiny ... very tiny little portfolio going to what amounts to pennies. I am hoping to snowball it over time, but it will be nerve wracking to start.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Do we join a game (one set up) or just create our own?

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

You are welcome to set up your own game. But we are playing here in this thread.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I meant on investopedia.
So do the investments on our own game but share on here what we've invested in?

Doesn't matter the Capcha is getting right on my tits and put me off already.
Over 7 goes everytime I try and log in.

edit on 20/2/2019 by UKWO1Phot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

Damn.

You must be a robot :p

We are not logging in to investopedia. I place the link there in case someone wanted to check it out. However, to learn from this process doesn't require their simulator.

top topics

join