It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Transactions with Foreigners in Long-Term Securities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Pardon my ignorance, but maybe someone can explain this to me. If the U.S. has imposed sanctions on Venezuela, then why is it allowed to buy U.S. treasury and government agency bonds? Or am I reading and understanding this wrong? Here's a direct link to a list of various countries, taken from the U.S. Department of the Treasury website.

At this point, I don't care how foolish I am by asking this. There's so much out there that I don't know, and I'm doing my best to educate myself. What I saw seemed suspicious, but it could just be due to my lack of understanding. Thanks in advance.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: KMY14

Reason for sanctions against Venenzuela is they want to be able to sell and buy with their own currency,so as long as they can capitalize on them the big corporate owners who run the world essentially,won't lose money,all about their petro dollar,why China and Russia have bases there

(post by matjo removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2
I’m still confused because I thought the whole point of sanctions is to hurt them financially. If Venezuela can buy U.S. treasury and government bonds, how does that hurt them financially if they can profit from unpaid debt? And even if the U.S. opted not to pay Venezuela back for those bonds, why would Venezuela willingly choose to put themselves in that situation? Who in their right mind would lend to anyone if they knew the intent was to not pay the money back? I’ve been trying to see if there are any regulations on selling U.S. bonds to Venezuela, but I’ve only found regulations with regards to buying and selling Venezuelan bonds- PDVSA in particular.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
a reply to: KMY14

Reason for sanctions against Venenzuela is they want to be able to sell and buy with their own currency,so as long as they can capitalize on them the big corporate owners who run the world essentially,won't lose money,all about their petro dollar,why China and Russia have bases there

Hopefully we get chased out of there.
We do not need the petrol dollar anyways.

top topics

join