It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last message from Mars Rover Opportunity!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   
"My battery is low and it’s getting dark."

This was the last heard from Opportunity...thought it poignant to post.

Is it last? Will it fire back up 20 yrs later like we've seen recently? Makes one think...

Crazy amount of tech gone into what we send out into the cosmos...who knows!?

Wouldn't be surprised if one day all of a sudden it kicks back in with a "Hello? Where's everybody?

www.dailygrail.com...

edit on 18-2-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Much as I would like to see it happen, one of the battery's functions was as a heater to keep some essential part from freezing. It would gain enough juice from the solar panels during the day to emit enough heat during the night. But with the battery dead there's not enough juice to command the heater to turn on, so it can't jump start itself. Unfortunately the nearest pair of jumper cables is 250,000 miles away.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I'd like to see some confirmation about how literal that massage was.

Or is it a case of the Daily Grail quoting someone who was summarizing, paraphrasing - and anthropomorphising - what Opportunity's actual last messages were.

edit on 2019/2/18 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
First thought is that the sand/dust/dirt that is covering it may blow off in a future wind storm, allowing charging and reboot ? Just a guess ?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I looked this up for my kids the other day- and it made me cry..... silly, I know. But it is the end of a creation that served well.

The last data sent to Opportunity was a recording of Billie Holiday’s “I’ll be seeing you”- which made me cry again.

There is a Spotify playlist that was created while they attempted to re-engage Opportunity, it’s called “Wake up, Opportunity!”- it’s pretty good.

*my husband, not at all the conspiracy type that I am, upon hearing how I blubbered about this, responded with, “this is just how they get us to have feelings for robots”😂

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Poor little guy, hopefully it comes back online.
Not sure if it's true or not, but ive read that every year on its anniversary date it played the "happy birthday" song to itself.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Poor little guy, hopefully it comes back online.
Not sure if it's true or not, but ive read that every year on its anniversary date it played the "happy birthday" song to itself.

Seems it was the curriosity and it was a one time thing.
qz.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Windows BSOD.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Box of Rain

Or is it a case of the Daily Grail quoting someone who was summarizing, paraphrasing - and anthropomorphising - what Opportunity's actual last messages were.

Do you seriously think this is a literal message? Do you think Opportunity speaks proper English? Of course not. It works like an OBD reader in a car. It "throws codes." You then look up the code. It sent one code that said the battery was low. It sent a second code that said it was getting dark.

Yes, someone translated the two codes into English and "anthropomorphized" the message. Please don't tell me you have a problem with that.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
un-necessary!

edit on 18-2-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Thank you Schuyler for explaining!

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Someone assign the description for error codes which are sent. People didn't think the rover made up those words, did they?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Windows BSOD.

Since it is on Mars, "red screen of death" would be appropriate.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   
That message was a lie. "Opportunity" is seeking other opportunities and a more lucrative contract with the Chinese and other unnamed sources.

edit on 18-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I bet they just reached a point of interest.. the ruins of a martian city, and turned off the feed for public.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Do you seriously think this is a literal message? Do you think Opportunity speaks proper English? Of course not. It works like an OBD reader in a car. It "throws codes." You then look up the code. It sent one code that said the battery was low. It sent a second code that said it was getting dark.

Yes, someone translated the two codes into English and "anthropomorphized" the message. Please don't tell me you have a problem with that.

No I didn't, but it seemed the Daily Grail did, which is why I was looking for the Daily Grail's source for the quote.

The Link to the Daily Grail website called it their "Quote of the Day", and attributed that quote to Opportunity, and labeled that quote as "the Last message from Mars Rover Opportunity" as if the Daily Grail thought it was...well...a literal quote by Opportunity.

However, as I indicated in the my post, it seemed quite certain that it was not (as the Daily Grail seemed to believe) an actual quote from Oppy, but rather one from someone else who was paraphrasing and anthropomorphising.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Maybe when we next hear from it, it will want to join with the creator!

Opunity..

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Apparently, some took it verbatim...geez

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

No I didn't. That's why I was looking for the Daily Grail's source for the quote.

The Link to the Daily Grail website called it their "Quote of the Day" and attributed that quote to Opportunity as if it were...well...a literal quote by Opportunity.

No, it did not. You are the only one who took it literally.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

No I didn't. That's why I was looking for the Daily Grail's source for the quote.

The Link to the Daily Grail website called it their "Quote of the Day" and attributed that quote to Opportunity as if it were...well...a literal quote by Opportunity.

No, it did not. You are the only one who took it literally.

If you say so. Whether you think I believed it or not doesn't matter. The point I was making in my first post is that I was questioning whether the Daily Grail believed it was literal or not.

And considering they called it a "Quote of the Day", then gave that quote's attribution as "The last message from Opportunity", it seemed possible to me that The Daily Grail did in fact believe they were literally quoting the last message from Opportunity...

...hence my questioning of the Daily Grail's source for that quote.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join