It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Demons of Technology - Pure Evil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The other day I was sitting on an international flight to South America on business. It was a long flight and a hard day. I was on an airline I rarely fly on, and a couple hours into the flight I decided to take a look at their in-flight magazine out of boredom. As I opened up the seat-back pocket in front of me I noticed someone had left their phone behind on a previous flight, and the aircraft cleaners must have missed it when they prepped the flight. "Well, that sucks!", I thought to myself. The next time a flight attendant came by I gave the phone to her explaining how I'd found it, she said she'd take care of it, and my long boring flight continued on through the night. Life went on.

Fast forward to last night. I hadn't been feeling well the past couple days and had taken some cold medication (i.e. the stuff crazy dreams are made of). At some point I started dreaming. In my dream, I had just landed on a flight from somewhere. Getting off the flight was particularly aggravating for some reason and I was angry. Someone was picking me up at the airport, I was already late and everything was taking forever.

Finally off the plane, luggage collected, I reached for my back pocket and realized my phone wasn't there! Contrary to what you might expect, I wasn't particularly panicked. You see, I pretty much hate cell / smart phones and have tried to resist becoming dependent on them. I'd be just fine, I thought (in my dream). I'd just go get another one in the next day or two when the opportunity presented itself.

Over the next hour or so, my dream turned into a nightmare. My ride, the one who was supposed to pick me up, was nowhere to be found. They'd probably given up on me and, not having heard from me, had probably gone home. Okay, I'll just call them. Well...

I'll just hit the highlights of what happened next in my nightmare because it's just maddening beyond description:

1. Call my ride? How? No biggie, I'll just use a payphone...

2. Payphone where? There aren't hardly any payphones anymore. I'd find one eventually...

3. Finally, a payphone. What's the number? ....

4. Dammit, the number to my ride is on my phone.

5. Just get an Uber, people said. Well, that's pretty difficult without a phone. No, it's not just difficult, it's impossible.

6. Just get a taxi then. Ah, okay, the good ol' taxi. "Take me to my hotel, James", and away we went.

7. The hotel is full they said, but I have a reservation with a confirmation. What's the number? Sigh, it's on my phone!

8. Okay, I'll get the confirmation using my laptop. At least I had that! No Wifi. It's only for guests, they said, and I wasn't a guest (yet), but there's a starbucks down the street about a half mile. Really????

9. Fast forward; they overbooked the hotel and there's a snowstorm, flights cancelled all over the place. I have to get another hotel. But I've got work colleagues picking me up in the morning at my original hotel. I need to let them know (and it's 10pm). Where's their number...why on my phone, of course!

10. Okay, I'll do it the hard way. Can I use your phone? Sorry, Sir, the phones are only for guests. Payphone?? No, so sorry, Sir.

Uggghhhh!! This story, this nightmare, went on for a while. I won't bore you with it, but trust it is much more of the same. I eventually got so frustrated and thoroughly pissed off in my dream I just woke up...mad.

Sitting right next to the bed on the stand was my smart phone, trustingly blinking away. I immediately grabbed it off the nightstand and turned it on to see what time it was. It was 4am. I sat there on the edge of the bed, phone in hand, and thought to myself...

Dammit, I have become completely dependent on this stupid thing, this phone. This stupid little piece of technology OWNS me! Not the other way around as it should be. I've long said if someone wanted to create complete chaos, just shut cellular phones off for a few days. I'm more convinced now than ever, such an event would have people rioting in the streets in less than 72 hours.

What started as an electronic "leash" with the pagers of old, the early cellular phones in a bag, has now become our Master. It owns us, we don't own it.

And I write this as I use a wooden pencil to write down important numbers in a little paper notebook, as I write down important passwords on a scrap of paper to put in my wallet.

Never again...until next time.

We have sold our souls to the Demons of Technology. And, like a highly addictive drug, it is Pure Evil.

Is there an app for that?

ETA - I wonder if that person ever got their phone back? Frankly, I'd say it's highly unlikely given we were headed for one of the lesser developed countries in South America. Poor sap. I actually feel for them.

edit on 2/18/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I don't know my mother's phone number since it is new-ish, I rely on my phone for that, but I still remember my friend's from 2nd grade.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

So do I. In fact, I remember just about every important number I needed to know...before the cell phone was created.

It's kind of a curse. I'd bet most of those numbers have been..."disconnected, or is no longer in service."

Like 100% of them.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
It's kind of a curse. I'd bet most of those numbers have been..."disconnected, or is no longer in service."

Like 100% of them.

Yeah, it's odd, all the 976 ones I used to know are no longer functioning.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I only got a 'smart phone' this past July and only because my then 8 year old flip phone was no longer working right and Sprint did not have any accommodating phones to sell me on my plan. I have yet to download one APP to my phone. I only use it for calls and texts and don't know how to use any of the other buttons on it. It's easy enough for me but I don't do a lot of international travel. I can see where I would 'need' it more if I did but do we need it or do we only think we need it?
I'm typing this on a desktop.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Even ... 1 (800) 976-MILF ????

How will I ever get in touch with "Candy" again????

Oh NOES!

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: schmae

For me they are essential as I travel weekly, not having one would add time to me work schedule.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I am now to the point.

When I start to have a nightmare.

I tell myself to wake up, and do.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I am now to the point.

When I start to have a nightmare.

I tell myself to wake up, and do.

I like nightmares.

I get to experience things that I have not experienced in real life in a simulated and safe environment.

Perhaps the more nightmares you have, the more you are prepared for adverse situations.

Or I just like torture, who knows haha.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I suppose over the last 120 years or so this has been a thought from generation to generation. Many felt the same way about land-line phones, electricity, automobiles, flights, televisions, videogames ect. There is a point that as technology we as a society become more and more dependent. Think back to how clear things were then as compared to now. Albeit appearing simplistic in their lives they were far more independent of things that controlled their daily lives. Sometimes when i go back home to a remote village I leave everything behind and the connection to neighbors and nature seems so foreign and advanced in an odd way.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Like you, I have a love/hate relationship with cell phones.
We can communicate with each other in the blink of an eye, share our thoughts over vast distances and my kids or girlfriend ( read live in ) can call for help from almost anywhere on the planet. Pay bills, order food or just about any other service you care to name and call anyone, anywhere, night or day.

There was a time we didn't need to track our kids every minute and if you wanted to see what you friend was up to you didn't text them, you went and Found them. Now it's just Snapchat or Facebook and share what you had for lunch.

We're getting' old brother.....we're getting' old.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

We have sold our souls to the Demons of Technology. And, like a highly addictive drug, it is Pure Evil.

I worked for one of the first giant cell phone companies. I think by working there in the early days of cell phones, I got really sick of it.

I'm the only one I know that can seriously go a week, or two without turning my cell phone on. It drives everyone around me crazy. I even had a friend say that if friends don't answer a msg in one hour they are not a good friends!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I've got a phone, it aint a camera, notebook, diary, video recorder or any other bit of technology, it's a phone. It's switched off sitting in the dashboard of my car for emergencies.
Now imagine with all your smart phones (with all your information on it)your in the middle of nowhere and your battery goes dead. What good is it then? Couldn't even light a fire with it.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Now imagine with all your smart phones (with all your information on it)your in the middle of nowhere and your battery goes dead. What good is it then? Couldn't even light a fire with it.

I have an app that displays a fireplace in 4K.

Problem solved.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
How can you see it if your batteries dead?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: CriticalStinker
How can you see it if your batteries dead?

It was a bad joke.

I think like anything it's a tool with it's time and place. If it isn't used properly it can be just as bad as it can be good.

People should find moderation and balance with it.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Glad the cell on the plane was not a bomb.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Heh, yeah me too!!

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

The Demons of Technology - Pure Evil

The killer 5G grid is already here.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I have a flip top and only use it occasionally for calls and texts. I also have phone numbers, e-mails and passwords written in an address book, so I have the information I need in case something happens to my cell phone. I also have a landline at home.

I'm not locked into any plans and just buy a card to add minutes and airtime which are doubled with each card purchase. That came with the phone when it was originally purchased, that all cards purchased with whatever amount of minutes and airtime will be doubled.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join