It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Jersey Devil - A Possible Explanation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I grew up in New Jersey not too far from the Pine Barrens. As a child, I was a Dinosaur and Cryptid (before it was a term) freak. I, of course became interested in the Jersey Devil...a local, historic Cryptid.

There were so many stories, so many suspects and it was one of those myths that didn't take itself too seriously. Yes...there was a cool back-story, but everyone was open to a more-likely explanation. A type of bat...a type of Crane...etc. Then I recently stumbled upon this.

Cow Missing Front Legs

What an interesting idea! A cow, deer or whatever that somehow lost it's front legs. In the wild...it couldn't survive by using it's back legs to push it's face through the woods. It would have to learn...to stand.

So...this is my first (non-introduction) post. Thought this would be non-confrontational enough

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Welcome to the crazyhouse!

Absolutely it's possible. Just like how dugongs/manatees were probably the genesis of the mermaid myth.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: QuittingHeaven

I grew up in New Jersey

I'm sorry.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

As I recall, there were also hoofprints on the roofs of homes. I think that would rule out cows or deer.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

As I recall, there were also hoofprints on the roofs of homes. I think that would rule out cows or deer.

But it would not rule out bipedal flying pigs lol (or maybe crazies running around in Pan costumes). It can get weird in Jersey!

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

And not just stand...but dance!
I see a Broadway musical in the making.
Move over Cats...make room for Cows The Musical!

Or should I say...Mooove over?
edit on 2/17/2019 by MissSmartypants because: Edit

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Even if we put aside the winged aspect of the creature, I don’t think it’s possible for a cow to build the strength to stand upright on two legs. It’s torso is simply too massive. If it lays down too long it crushes itself under its own weight. That’s why they sleep on all fours. But let’s say I’m wrong. The legend is hundreds of years old. What’s more likely? A species yet undiscovered or cows born in the wilderness ( a farmer would put it down) with only two back legs and learning to walk upright for hundreds of years. Even bears can only walk upright for short distances. How would a cow even get itself upright from the prone position with only two back legs in the first place? Think about the bone structure. The pelvic girdle, the musculature, etc. I just don’t see it. I could be wrong though. And thanks for sharing the theory.
edit on 17-2-2019 by Guiltyguitarist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

What about if it was one of Santa's reindeers who had lost 2 legs.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Guiltyguitarist
Even if we put aside the winged aspect of the creature, I don’t think it’s possible for a cow to build the strength to stand upright on two legs. It’s torso is simply too massive. If it lays down too long it crushes itself under its own weight. That’s why they sleep on all fours. But let’s say I’m wrong. The legend is hundreds of years old. What’s more likely? A species yet undiscovered or cows born in the wilderness ( a farmer would put it down) with only two back legs and learning to walk upright for hundreds of years. Even bears can only walk upright for short distances. How would a cow even get itself upright from the prone position with only two back legs in the first place? Think about the bone structure. The pelvic girdle, the musculature, etc. I just don’t see it. I could be wrong though. And thanks for sharing the theory.

What about the cow that jumped over the moon.
She had great muscle strength.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Me too...moved to PA later on and never looked back. Property taxes exceeded 10K in Jersey on 1 acre. PA? $750 on 1/2 acre.

new topics

top topics

join